Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:30pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo at UofT Mississauga (quick analysis)

So, I've only had two classes, but I signed up for the year anyways simply because i love being on the mat.

Anyways, I wrestled in high school, and practice was 2 hours a day every day after school, and i remember on the first day we learned a technique, and we went straight into free rolling. And that's how every practice was, learn a move -- then kill each other. I went home in pain every day and loved it.

Now I know it would be unrealistic for me to expect the same out of a judo club, but some of these japan fetishisms can really get to me. instructor: "what do we call the mats?". everyone: "tatame!". me: "uhh... how about mats?".

Admittedly, the technique on the the upper belts is pretty good, at least in throws. But i think only about 3 people there (including these 2 250lb guys) could potentially beat me. Otherwise, they're absolute **** in submissions and pins. My submission knowledge comes entirely from watching mma, and these kids can't even lock a shoulder crank on properly. The guy was "demonstrating" the technique on me, and i refused to tap simply because i woudl not have tapped in a real match.

Anyways, my two biggest gripes right now is that the "white belts" (even though i have more mat time than practically anyone there) aren't allowed to go freestyle. And uhh... the people that do "randori", do so without throwing each other. To me this sounds like the most unrealistic training method ever, since how can you know how good your technique is if you aren't trying to actually throw the person?

It was funny, at the end they let us just keep going with different partners and practicing throw setups, with resistance. Every single person i was able to pummel for double underhooks and i just lifted them up to let them know what i could do.

/rant

the place isn't bullshido, but they don't train nearly hard enough for me.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:43pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From your description, that club is a disgrace. Do they even compete?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a car?

If so go to www.kombatarts.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this one guy with awesome technique there said he trained at kombatarts 3-4 times a week, so he'll make the class worthwhile for me i know. (he said we'd roll before class next week, THANK FUCKING GOD).

and i'm sure they'll eventually get into real free sparring, it's just the 2nd class of the year after all, but i would think they would at least let the upper belts kill each other.

and another thing, while working on "technique", and i was working with this "black belt" (90lb lady), and i gripped onto her collar she told me i shouldn't grip so hard. wtf?

I guess it is kind of really bad after 4 hours of class i haven't seen a single full resistance thing going on between anyone. :\

AND ANOTHER THING.

a lot of the people there are really into ***** karate and kendo for some weird ass reason. seeing old men swinging wooden swords around just looks hilarious.
    Last edited by v1y; 9/27/2006 9:13pm at .

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 9:39pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how much is the fee for the year? i can't imagine university MA classes cost much usually....so i mean, u get what u pay for IMO
    kombatarts, i concur with that idea, they've got a solid gym.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i paid 85$ for about 44 hours of mat time.

and hopefully we start doing more of this **** (the black belt and the two guys going at it are still there)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vDXuzVC3M0

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 6:39am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * Some judo clubs don't want you to randori (tachi-waza at least) until you've had a few classes under your belt, with the reasoning that if you're not used to falling, you will fall a lot and hurt a lot and never come back.

* Moving uchikomi is a valid training tool, but it is not randori.

* Gripping too tightly will actually telegraph what you are doing and is not a good thing.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 6:48am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    A lot of the people there are really into ***** karate and kendo for some weird ass reason. seeing old men swinging wooden swords around just looks hilarious.
    Ask the old man if he wants to do Randori, he gets to keep the sword. Lets see how you do against bokken.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:11am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, this would be perfect for our (coming soon) DojoReview system which should be ready in a week or so. Keep checking back in v1v and I'll move this thread there when it's ready and you can add ratings to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:31am

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    "But i think only about 3 people there (including these 2 250lb guys) could potentially beat me."

"My submission knowledge comes entirely from watching mma, and these kids can't even lock a shoulder crank on properly."
    Yeah this definitely is a front page material.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast