Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what a minute, I just noticed this thread is named "american" boxing? What the ****?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:24pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything good is American- I thought you guys already knew this?

Anyways, I've got a little experience in Muay Thai (and its growing each week). I may not know enough of it to give you my own opinion, but allow me to reiterate what my muay thai coaches said when I asked them a similar question to what you're asking.

In talking about the basic stance, boxing may tend to have more of a "closed" stance in the sense that they're more sideways. This is because it cuts off more of the targets in a boxing match- its hard to get in to do any body shots, because less of his body is exposed.

A traditional muay thai stance (the way I've been taught anyhow) is more open and squared off and typically holds the hands higher. The wider stance is to allow a fighter to lift his leg to check incoming leg kicks- the boxers stance stated above doesnt allow that kind of mobility, which means that you'll get eaten up with leg kicks. Holding the hands higher is due to the elbows which are allowed. Its not uncommon for thai fighters to come right over the top and drop an elbow on your dome, so holding your hands higher will allow for a better defense of that than say your traditional boxing stance.

I've also noticed that muay thai fighters are more likely to stand upright, whereas boxers will take on a wide stance so as to get a further reach with the jab. Muay thai fighters also wont bob and weave, for the simple fact that a swift knee can meet you when you attempt to do so.

That being said, I havent taken a boxing class, so to speak, but the muay thai stance Im taught is very comfortable and just the same footing as you would when you're wrestling off the feet- now all I have to do is get comfortable keeping my hands up and my chin tucked =)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies for using the term "American" - poor choice of terms. I was simply attempting to differentiate between things like "Chinese Boxing" and "Drunken Boxing" etc. Traditional boxing or just plain Boxing would have been better.

As mentioned, I have a Judo/wrestling and Okinawan Karate background - hence I have no idea what the correct terms are.

Thanks for the advice, and, as I mentioned, for pointing out my idiocy. I would expect no less.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chinese boxing is chinese though. boxing isnt american. americans arent clever enough to think of their own sports (zing)

like gumby said the difference isnt too huge but it is there. i can go from MT rules to boxing to MT rules again in one night (and often do cos we have so many boxers at our gym) without too much trouble. well except that i get pounded on by boxers cos punching is all they do :/

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will certainly get something from boxing. Without a doubt it's the best hand striking art out there. Now how much and what you keep depends on your own striking preference. This thread has more detail on what people took from boxing and incorporated into their own styles.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45394

As for boxing vs MT, there's this wonderful title fight.
    Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Sod Looknongyangtoy II
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gINY2QwaBg[/MEDIA]
    Last edited by PirateJon; 9/28/2006 7:31am at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    You will certainly get something from boxing. Without a doubt it's the best hand striking art out there. Now how much and what you keep depends on your own striking preference. This thread has more detail on what people took from boxing and incorporated into their own styles.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45394

As for boxing vs MT, there's this wonderful title fight.
    Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Sod Looknongyangtoy II
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gINY2QwaBg
    Good Lord!!! De Leon was punching Sod's face again and again and again at will. Jesus Christ!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:08pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with Muay Thai, but now just box.

I actually learned a LOT more about proper punching mechanics by just boxing than I did in Muay Thai.

Boxing & Judo really is a magic combination and have been combined since Judo started.

The footwork really does work well together.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uh that looked like a boxing fight to me. call me crazy but the absence of anything other than punches is a bit of a giveaway... oh wait thats right because someone is thai it means they do muay thai >_< how silly of me.

anyone else see that fight in k-1 where Buakaw (MT fighter) gave Virgil Kalokoda (IBF champ) a boxing lesson? I loled. more relevant since buakaw actually trains in muay thai and could use those skills under the ruleset (well some)

I think its important for any MT fighter to have a day where they just work on hands though because a lot of MT fighters are sloppy in that department. I am lucky that my coach is also a very experienced boxing coach and puts a big emphasis on punching technique but ive been to gyms where its pretty poor.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, what a fucking second? This thread has "Muy Thai" in its title? Again... what the ****????

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some people are born stupid while others, such as myself, have to really WORK for it
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast