Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 4:59pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

American Boxing vs. Kickboxing/Muy Thai

This is not a style vs. style thread - that's clearly ghey.

After an October Judo tournament I will have the opportunity to incorporate some boxing training into my repetoire. Basically, a former Kronk prizefighter that I know has agreed to give me some training and spar a little bit. Mostly informal stuff, but on a semi regular schedule. I have no inclination to ever fight, amatuer or otherwise, in a striking tournament of any kind (yet), but might look to expand to kickboxing or MT training for funsies in the future.

Actually training in kickboxing/muy thai is not viable at this time for various reasons, which may change in the future. However, I would like to supplement the boxing noted above with some kicks etc, as I do have some experience with TMA-style karate and basic kicking knowledge.

The question here is somewhat simple: Is there a major difference in boxing guard/footwork/strategy etc. compared to styles with kicks? Will training in traditional boxing cause bad habits if I decide in the future to expand into more "official" training in kickboxing or MT? Should I adjust any instruction to plan for defending hypothetical kicks? Other issues to watch out for? Should I even care?

The answer is probably STFU and get some training, period, but I thought I would ask the folks here, whose opinions are notoriously frank and accurate, before investing any time or $.

I found no direct answers via search, but my search-Fu is not great. Thanx in advance, for either sound advice or for blowing me out of the water for being an idiot.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSiE9Ed8jW4[/MEDIA]
    カンフー

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Señor Jones, that was cruel of you :tongue3:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 6:01pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    annnnnnd THAT's why kicking is useful to a martial artist as well as punching, and why hands-only can get you in trouble (though my kicks are atrocious compared to my hands ;)

Anyway, aside from not knowing how to kick, I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with the american boxer's stance and techniques. If I was him I think I'd focus on closing the gap and working some infighting.

If you want to supplement your Judo with striking, either boxing or MT is a good addition IMO. MT is probably the optimal, more well-rounded choice, but with boxing you may see results faster.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:16pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxer looked okay... it was just obvious he hadn't played with MT guys much, or he would have entered on a better angle. Straight-in just don't cut it.

If you box and like it, boxe francaise mixes with it seamlessly: you'll have absolutely no body mechanics issues (both are perfectly compatible with judo). If you go to MT, according to the folks on Strikeistan, you'll have to make adjustments, but it will still work. I'm leery of how well MT's footwork connects to judo, but it's because I don't know the answer.

Can anybody doing MT and judo sell him a vowel?

('._.)

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:30pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Erm, about that vid... That boxer was also some nobody thats over 40 years old and never was any good to begin with while Alexey is pretty much one of the best MT fighters in the world in his weightclass. So its hardly fair...

But MT is better than boxing IMO because it allows you to use more weapons blah blah blah you´ve heard it all before.
    Last edited by Draven; 9/27/2006 7:34pm at .

('._.)

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:31pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and AMERICAN boxing?

Please kill yourself.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video hurt my feelings.

A good boxer with training in defending kicks would do very well against a moderately good kickboxer.

Same as how a kickboxer needs some grappling exposure to do well in MMA, etc.

How well would a kickboxer do under BOXING rules?

My vote is the video would be very similar but in reverse.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think even in a boxing match alexey would win because arthur williams is a 40 year old over the hill fighter. any boxer who fights in k-1 is doing it because nobody will pay them **** in "american" boxing (lol fuckass) and is at their last resort. you really think any of the top boxers, getting paid millions per bout, would step into the ring for what- 50k at most?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, dude, it's just boxing, not "american" boxing.

The transition between boxing and something like muay thai is not particularly difficult to make. The stance and footwork are a bit different, but you should be able to pretty easily modify those once you get used to kickboxing. I've trained in both and I find I can transition pretty seemlessly between the two.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast