Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 3:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Countering cross choke from guard

I am embarassed to ask this and can't find it online anywhere so I'm afraid the answer is self-evident and I'm just slow. I've been doing BJJ for about 6 months and remember in one of my first randori sessions, trying to cross choke someone when they me in their guard. Our instructor corrected me saying "you don't want to do that, you'll get armbarred pretty fast" and I saw the logic and never tried it again. Nobody else has tried it on me either... until last night in Judo class.

I was working with a fast, heavy brown belt with good ground skills, I tried my sweeps but couldn't get them off, scissors, pendulum and hip, and eventually he'd sink a strong cross grip in. I'd try to grab it and go for the arm bar but he'd eventually get the other grip in, pull em apart and I'd tap, happened 2-3 times.

So does anyone know have tips, videos or links to help with this? It's frustrating because I don't think I should be getting caught in this and the only thing I can think of is being a little more defensive in guard or drilling that situation with the armbar to get my timing faster than the other hand can get in.

Thanks for any help.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 3:40pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really simple.

1. Take your right hand, reach across your body, over his arms, and cup your opponents elbow.

2. Take your left hand, reach over your right forearm, and cup your right elbow.

3. Now squeeze both arms, like you are hugging yourself.

That will negate the cross choke while in guard.

Most people I've showed this too, don't know this counter, it's a good one to have.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reach underneath his arms and choke him back. This has never failed me and I smile every time I get to use it on yet another clueless goon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 4:42pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's up on one leg, which he probably has to be to have the leverage to choke you, you can do this technique. I'm assuming both arms are extended

Put the hand opposite the leg that's up on his wrist and hook your other hand behind his lower leg.

Scoot your hips the opposite way (away from the leg that's up), and swing your [edit: outside] leg across his body/neck.

Roll into the armbar by twisting your hips and turning with the arm under the leg, sweeping him on to his back in the process.

Move your hand from the leg to secure the armbar.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 9/27/2006 5:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just curious, where was the judoka in your guard? Were his arms straightened out when he was applying the shimewaza?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll try to get em lodged in my brain tonight.

OldDog, he was leaning over me with one leg up like Res guessed. His arms were extended when he was coming into it. I'm not sure where he was heading when I tapped though, I was taught to get low and get your chest through the hole you've made. He may have been heading there but I tapped when I felt the pressure on both my carotids, I didn't really wait to see how he was gonna finish.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 11:04pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chances are hes probably going to posture up to try to smash you when hes choking you. If you dont know how to do an armbar or if you cant x choke him back, simply open your guard and put your feet on his hips to push him away.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:18am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double fucking armbar that brown belt. OMFG would I love the opportunity for someone to try to Xchoke me in my guard. I would stop - redefine my faith - and then gleefully laugh like a little schoolboy as I double armbarred him very slowly...hopefully forcing them to tap with their foot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:40am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is this the "i'm stacking the **** out of you so you cant armbar me muhahahahha" choke

there is a black belt in my judo dojo that favours this one

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:26pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have Renzo and Royer's theory and technique book, its basically technique no. 66, "The arm-inside arm-bar".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast