Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Terell is obviously a stud, but Ralph Gracie produces good guys as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be sure to read the introduction to Dave Camarillo's book, Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu, and its section on training with Ralph.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:50pm

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does that book say about it, since I don't own it? I guess those guys had a falling out or something? I'm too far away from ralph gracie's school to train there anyway.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 4:52pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In short, he has great BJJ if you're able to get over him being batshit insane and likely to attack and seriously injure you for no reason.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiander and Stewart are complete studs as well and from what I've seen not crazy.
    Looking at your choices, if you're interested in bjj comps, marinmma looks like a better choice.
    If you're any good you'll also probably get to be a bluebelt for a decade and get 5-6 US Open titles as a blue before reaching purple. That'll be nice for you.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does one school fit your schedule better than the other?

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:47pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just try both schools, just keep in mind why you are doing this. Do you want to be a champ? Then go with the school that has the better students and instructors. Who you train with makes a HUGE difference to your game. If you are a recreational BJJ:er who wants to have some fun a few nights a week, then go with whatever school you feel most comfortable at.

Also, just being signed up won't get you your blue belt: showing up and training will, which is why it is important that you enjoy training at whatever school you go to. If you like it more, you will train more often, so you might actually get better at a lesser school with an atmosphere you are happier in.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    In short, he has great BJJ if you're able to get over him being batshit insane and likely to attack and seriously injure you for no reason.
    In Camarillo's book, there are also a lot of negatives about Camarillo - he broke one of his San Jose State College judo coaches arms in a challenge (the coach was dragging him outside to slam him on concrete); and generally got in a lot of arguments/controversies with his judo coaches. He also talks about disabling some of his opponents in judo matches with flying armlocks, not just defeating them. The particular incident with RG that he describes sounds brutal, but was also apparently an isolated incident since Camarillo is very open about his feelings. This is not to knock Camarillo, his innovations strike me as brilliant, but I just wonder what the other side of the story might be.

The several RG instructors that I have met are uniformly good guys. I haven't had the honor of meeting RG himself, but his academies seem to produce top notch students who are anything but bullies or arrogant. This is bjj, not Prison Break.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 6:03pm

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I have never met any of those guys, although I have heard of them on the interwebs. The instructor at marin mma seems like a nice guy, not insane at all.

as far as schools, one place has a month to month, so i'm doing that. The other is a year. Hopefully I'll like the first place.
    Last edited by haji; 9/28/2006 6:05pm at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truthfully, if you can affort it and have the time, go to both. Especially if it's a month to month thing and if you need to you can drop one for a time or for good. This way, you can become very technical learning from the hardcore and more experienced students while at the same time you can try out what you've been learning from them with the more inexperienced students.

You really want to train with three types in order to get better, those that are better then you, those that are at your level, and those that are below your level. Training with each specific group will allow you to work specific aspects. Training with upper level students causes you to get better at escapes, submission defense, sweeps, thinks like that because you will probably end up on your back, defending submissions, and trying to escape. Training with those with less experience allows you to try things you normally couldn't do on more experienced partners. You can try a new submission or sweep of defense against a resisting person and build your confidence in that particular aspect of your game so that you can work trying it against someone of higher ability. Finally, rolling with someone of your own ability and experience will allow you to see were you stand in your abilities. You can try those same moves out that you've done with the noobs but at a higher level them a beginner but at a lower level then a more advanced student so you can know what to work on without being frustrated because you can't perform the move on an advanced student.

It's one reason I continue to train at a grappling place while my Jiu-Jitsu class is going on as well(grappling is 45 minutes, Jiu-Jitsu is 90 minutes). Everything I learn in Jiu-Jitsu I try to perfect it in the grappling class because most of those guys are newbs. We get a higher turnaround in that class where as the Jiu-Jitsu class tends to have a couple less people but they stay there and come to class more often.

I myself have a guy who is around my level, a little bit below but he works hard and gets me in some good positions and submissions; keeps me on my toes. He is my "equal" partner. The others are not at my level yet and I tend to own them. They are my "less experienced" partners. My Jiu-Jitsu instructor and a Judo black belt we have in class or my "advanced partners". They own me all the time but I've been able to catch the Judo black belt every now and again. That alone shows my improvement.

If you can do both, you will see the improvement. Also see if you can start some sort of grappling club as that helps as well during the times where your schedule will keep you from working out.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12