Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 1:09pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sanchin/punching/conditioning

Ok I'm not 100% sure as to where this should be placed, but anyways...

I have studied Isshinryu for quite some time. One of the last kata's learned is sanchin, which I have always looked at as a primarily a conditioning/breathing kata since the breathing is emphasized, you tense up every muscle, often have someone striking you to test your stancework/how well you can take a punch all why doing the movements very slow and laboured. Basically I looked at it purely from an external MA standpoint.

As a result of an increased interest in bodymechanics and doing a lot of body conditioning exercises, I have tried doing shieldwork punching two different ways. A regular punch, and a punch with the same orientation as the arm in sanchin and found the sanchin punch to be more penetrating, it feels as though the triceps are a bit more tensed as a result on impact. I also noticed that the body mechanics were a bit similiar to what Upyu posted in his frontpage article on bodymechanics.

Maybe the uechi ryu guys do have a point about sanchin.

Anyone else play around or notice this.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does a sanchin punch differ from a cross or traditional chmbered karate punch?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 5:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Maybe the uechi ryu guys do have a point about sanchin.
    We are, indeed, t3h d34dly.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    How does a sanchin punch differ from a cross or traditional chmbered karate punch?
    When I punch, chambered or not, there is no real rotation of the fist/forearm/elbow.

With the sanchin type punch, the orientation of the elbow is different. Typically when I punch the elblow crease (the mark on your arm between your forearm and bicep meet and bend) is on an angle, maybe 30 degrees or so. Doing it sanchin style you have to rotate the elbow a bit inwards so the that elbow goes more to the center of the chest and the elbow crease in your arm is parallel to the floor. As a result you will feel more tension in the shoulder and tricep.

My guess is that this increased tension reinforces the arm upon contact, so more of the inpact goes into your target. Now, I do have some concerns punching this way, but they may be amelorated by practice. For example, i wonder if this sort of punch increases stress on the elbow. I am also unsure if punching like this is slower due to increased tension in the muscles. Perhaps the best way is to rotate it at the last second?

I seriously doubt Im the first person to play around with this. I'm just looking for feedback from other people.

If my digital camera hadn't been stolen I would take some pictures to illustrate the orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    We are, indeed, t3h d34dly.

--J.D.

Hehe, well I didn't quite understand the emphasis on sanchin by you guys, but it is making more and more sense. I just wish someone had explained it to me with this viewpoint instead of figuring it out for myself.
    Last edited by hl1978; 9/06/2006 10:35am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quit wasting your time with bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Quit wasting your time with bullshit.

I've been doing this stuff for 13 years, while I am no "master"you get bored after a while and want to look at things with a different approach or add aspects to your game you haven't trained before.

I'm going to a body mechanics seminar this weekend taught by a guy who used to coach body mechanics for the chargers.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hl1978, ronin actually posted something interesting on Sanchin on TMA.org. I personally don't care for kata, but he has some interesting ideas, and modifications to the kata.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    I've been doing this stuff for 13 years, while I am no "master"you get bored after a while and want to look at things with a different approach or add aspects to your game you haven't trained before.

I'm going to a body mechanics seminar this weekend taught by a guy who used to coach body mechanics for the chargers.

Heavy sigh....

Spending your time analyzing Sanchin is a waste of time. You want to know the real secret of Sanchin? It doesn't mean ****. There, that's the secret.

If you're bored, why don't you try something new instead of looking at a new way to dissect the same old dry-ass ****?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Spending your time analyzing Sanchin is a waste of time.
    According to whom, is it a waste of time? Do you know what the purpose of Sanchin is? Do you know why he is trying to analyze Sanchin?

Oh, just to make sure no one misreads my intentions kata sucks, everything kata is supposed to do something else does better.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil, have you ever learned Sanchin ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast