Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 4:18pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Question regarding the hand slap (as shown in the CM clip I posted). I do that regularly on a heavy bag; it does carry quite a punch, but a strong pain at the elbow joint develops very quickly, so I can't do that as much as the regular 1-2-3. I try to follow the directions in the clip, but it always happens. Is it normal?
    I have no idea personally - I noticed that my arm felt a little funny after a few but I didn't work it too hard and I was doing mitts instead of a heavy bag, I'll try to work it more tonight and see if my arm hurts.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    I'm with El Macho. I give it a more manly powerful name thought...the bear claw!
    I just call it my Pimp Hand. Heh!
    My best punch by far is my left hook. Right there with it is my left Pimp Hand.

Gotta agree with El Macho on the elbow pain using it on a heavy bag though. It must be the ergonomics of changing from a solid punching structure to a slapping motion. When I do it in slow motion I notice my elbow is far less bent than on the hook. I only assume that this puts more strain on the elbow?

Keepin' Pimp Hands Strong Since 1972
    :icon_thum
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 9/27/2006 5:25pm at .
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:41pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you are slapping the heavy bag, your target has significantly changed. Generally, when you hit a human head (or a focus mitt) there is alot of give that reduces the shock to your elbow. Suddenly, instead of hitting something with alot of give, you are hitting something heavier and more stationary. The mechanics of the slap are such that the more difficult your target is to move, the more your elbow is going to suffer for it.

Though I have to say, if you can routinely pop the heavy bag and make it dance with a slap, you can probably take some ************'s head off with it, lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 4:55pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the palm strike very simple and powerful, no trouble with elbows and no trouble with damage to the wrist. It loses about two inches to the fist in my case and to get a good angle crossing to a jaw is awkward, that's why if you're comfortable with it I reckon a right cross is better. I'm not comfortable with a right cross fist so I use my palm.
    Keep fingers extended, if they are curled up you need to condition them to take damage which could be very bad for later joint trouble.

The slap is a different beast entirely. I like it because you can target high on the head and get it past normal covering defence, and if it lands it can make them see stars.
    A friend broke his hand badly punching some guy in the head last year and that more than anything made up my mind about fists vs palms.
    It also made up my mind about the general crappiness of tai chi since he was an instructor and couldn't fa'jing his way out of a paper bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 5:30pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch some of Bas Rutten's fights in Pancrase. Their rule was "no closed-hand strikes". He took advantage of this by striking with his wrist bone, not his actual palm. The difference is slight, but your palm has a nice thick layer of protective flesh and such. Your wrist bone, however, does not. Much less fun when liberally applied to the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 9:02pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

please clarify what you mean by 'wrist bone' and 'palm'

note that your carpals move across each other and the radius and ulna to create the action of the wrist. The Metacarpals are the bones that extend from your carpals and whose distal end make up your knuckles.

SO, when you say 'palm' do you mean the area composed of the carpals? the metacarpals?

When you say wrist, what do you mean?

Please elaborate.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 12:11am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39

please clarify what you mean by 'wrist bone' and 'palm'

note that your carpals move across each other and the radius and ulna to create the action of the wrist. The Metacarpals are the bones that extend from your carpals and whose distal end make up your knuckles.

SO, when you say 'palm' do you mean the area composed of the carpals? the metacarpals?

Please elaborate.
    I'm not sure who you are adressing this to but for my two bits, when I say palm I mean the area on the inside of my hand from below the base of my fingers to the point where my hand meets my forearm when I bend my hand back toward myself. I wish I had time to get you some crappy MSpaints showing what I consider a palm to be.

Anyway, when I throw a palm strike I use the area roughly corresponding to the location of the "pisiform bone" on the illustration you posted to strike - what I would normally call the "heel" of my hand. I hope this clears up my position?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 12:54am

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39

Please elaborate.
    Wow. How the **** can someone not know what I'm talking about?

Bend your hand back. Notice how there's this lovely little round bone that protrudes a wee bit from your wrist? I'm neither doctor nor pedantic dickweed, so you'll have to point out which one on that x-ray would be the one I'm referring to.

You'll want to target your strikes using the part of your hand right above that. Like I said, go to dailymotion.com and look up some Bas Rutten fights. Compare the way he hits to the way everyone else hits.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 10:01am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can tell he's hitting with the pisiform in those shots. Seems like that would injure your wrist pretty seriously over time... but I'm not sure.

Kintanon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123