223850 Bullies, 3602 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 29
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Mr. Mantis is offline
    Mr. Mantis's Avatar

    One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    under the sink
    Posts
    6,333

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 11:46am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus

    Anyway, long story short: Is it better to throw a straight palm heel strike to the face (think boxing cross or jab) with the fingers extended upward or curled back to the palm?

    So far extended upward means my arm is more relaxed -> strike travels faster/hits harder than when I curl my knuckles. Anyone know anything about proper palm strike hand form? Please include reasons & rationale for your method.
    You can do it either way. Both ways are "proper"

    Personally, I prefer the open hand for the reasons you mentioned. You need to keep your fingers together, this reduces the risk of injury to the fingers. You also want to use the whole palm on the strike, not just the heel, and never strike with the fingers.

    That palm with the fingers curled, applied the way you described has a Chinese name by the way, it's called a "tiger paw"

    Hope your hand heals quickly. Good luck.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
  2. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 12:52pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Yeah, but try just throwing jabs nonstop for a few rounds... my arm gets so tired that my form starts to automatically get bad and then I kinda pick up habits from when I'm overtired.
    This is exactly why you SHOULD do it.
  3. Epicurus is offline

    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 1:07pm


     Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    This is exactly why you SHOULD do it.
    Are you saying I should because I get tired too easily, or because it would be good for me to pick up the habit of jabbing while my arm is exhausted?


    I'm taking this as a chance more to focus on my jab than to do it exclusively. Besides, to me it's important to make your 1-2 as smooth as possible, so the palm strike can at least keep me from backsliding in that dep't.
  4. Epicurus is offline

    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 1:10pm


     Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    You can do it either way. Both ways are "proper"

    Personally, I prefer the open hand for the reasons you mentioned. You need to keep your fingers together, this reduces the risk of injury to the fingers. You also want to use the whole palm on the strike, not just the heel, and never strike with the fingers.

    Hope your hand heals quickly. Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips, but why do I need to use my whole palm instead of just the heel? The heel is the hardest part and it seems like the strike will have more impact if I use a smaller surface area - not saying you're wrong, just explaining why I don't understand.

    Thanks for the well-wishes, my hand is feeling better every day, but it's still gonna be a while by the looks of things.


    And by the way, to the people who said "She's not worth it" - I take it you've been in a situation like mine before. Romantic troubles - hard on the hands.
  5. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 1:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Thanks for the tips, but why do I need to use my whole palm instead of just the heel? The heel is the hardest part and it seems like the strike will have more impact if I use a smaller surface area - not saying you're wrong, just explaining why I don't understand.

    Thanks for the well-wishes, my hand is feeling better every day, but it's still gonna be a while by the looks of things.


    And by the way, to the people who said "She's not worth it" - I take it you've been in a situation like mine before. Romantic troubles - hard on the hands.
    Exactly, and you need your hands to be healthy in time of loneliness :tongue3:

    Question regarding the hand slap (as shown in the CM clip I posted). I do that regularly on a heavy bag; it does carry quite a punch, but a strong pain at the elbow joint develops very quickly, so I can't do that as much as the regular 1-2-3. I try to follow the directions in the clip, but it always happens. Is it normal?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  6. Mr. Mantis is offline
    Mr. Mantis's Avatar

    One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    under the sink
    Posts
    6,333

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:03pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Thanks for the tips, but why do I need to use my whole palm instead of just the heel? The heel is the hardest part and it seems like the strike will have more impact if I use a smaller surface area - not saying you're wrong, just explaining why I don't understand.
    You can do it either way. Whole palm or palm heel. I do whole palm (usually) because that's the way I was trained to do it. I notice the heel is emphaized in Japanese arts, but that is not my background.

    I think the heel is really only useable in straight on strikes. If you are throwing a strike off that path, it will be more effective to use the whole palm because you can move at the wrist.

    The main thing is, don't strike with the fingers with an open palm. You risk hurting yourself.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
  7. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:20pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Are you saying I should because I get tired too easily, or because it would be good for me to pick up the habit of jabbing while my arm is exhausted?


    I'm taking this as a chance more to focus on my jab than to do it exclusively. Besides, to me it's important to make your 1-2 as smooth as possible, so the palm strike can at least keep me from backsliding in that dep't.
    Yes and yes. You should be able to fire your jab like a machine gun round after round. If you can't your jab needs work.

    Your 1-2 won't get any better by substituting a palm heel. The strike angle is different enough that there will be little crossover IMO.
  8. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Are you saying I should because I get tired too easily, or because it would be good for me to pick up the habit of jabbing while my arm is exhausted?


    I'm taking this as a chance more to focus on my jab than to do it exclusively. Besides, to me it's important to make your 1-2 as smooth as possible, so the palm strike can at least keep me from backsliding in that dep't.
    Kat broke her finger on her right hand and for a few months after the fact had to work entirely on her jab. After that, her jab was awesome. Don't be a baby and just work the jab.

    edit: I'd also like to point out that I won my last fight pretty much entirely with my jab (though my jab was pretty lazy during that fight, but still)
    Last edited by Torakaka; 9/27/2006 2:28pm at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  9. Seraphim is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NE Alabama
    Posts
    654

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:45pm


     Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Epicurus: I did the same thing on my desk about 2-3 months ago.

    Give your hand atleast 2 months to get back to shape. I really started back too soon, and my middle knuckle still has issues.
  10. Epicurus is offline

    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 4:16pm


     Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Epicurus: I did the same thing on my desk about 2-3 months ago.

    Give your hand atleast 2 months to get back to shape. I really started back too soon, and my middle knuckle still has issues.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll err on the side of caution.


    Anyway, in reply to all the people telling me to just go nuts on my jab - yeah, I AM going nuts on my left jab. I'm just taking this opportunity to try out palm striking. Also, I don't find the angle of the palm strike that different from the cross the way I've been doing it. It just shoots out like a cross, straight at the face, although I aim for the nose rather than the chin or the eye.

    P.S: Working on my left jab is good, but I usually stand southpaw so it's not as rewarding as it could be.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.