Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 8:59pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is the optimal palm strike form? (I busted my knuckles)

I injured my right hand after I decided that it would be a good idea to punch some phone poles after I had some personal troubles and many, many rum & cokes. Now my knuckles are recovering and I can't throw any punches with resistance using my right hand, probably for several more days.

But I still want to train so now when I do a jab-cross drill on the focus mitts I throw a palm strike when I used my right hand and it works pretty well - I never cared much for palm strikes but this could be a blessing in disguise to make me appreciate them.

Anyway, long story short: Is it better to throw a straight palm heel strike to the face (think boxing cross or jab) with the fingers extended upward or curled back to the palm?

So far extended upward means my arm is more relaxed -> strike travels faster/hits harder than when I curl my knuckles. Anyone know anything about proper palm strike hand form? Please include reasons & rationale for your method.

EDIT: a typo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 11:45pm

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the only advantage to curling in your fingers is that it protects them. It is easy to sprain them or break them in the very possible event that your strike is blocked.

If you keep the fingers extended, you can grapple or claw more easily. Frankly, I don't know if it's worth it.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should only keep your fingers extended if you have flexible hands. I have found that curling them sometimes means that I hit my nails on whatever I'm trying to hit and, let me tell you, it fucking hurts. So I have always hit with my fingers extended because I have really flexible hands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 3:00am

Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way is to try to push the heel of your hand forward while keeping the fingers relatively straight. This way you will only hit with your palm. The risk of getting punched on your extended fingers is less than that of curled fingers breaking on impact.

Most proper (read: traditional) palmstrikes are done with the elbow low for structure and protection, and are usually delivered the chin or chest (for chest palmstrikes, it's better to extend your fingers forward, so that they automatically slide into the throat, generating teh deadly effect seen on TV.)
    Last edited by TheOtherChris; 9/27/2006 3:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 3:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you just work on your jabs for the 'several more days'?

After having the top joints of my fingers jacked up from trying to catch footballs, sparring, and various other youthful indescretions, I wouldn't curl my fingers except when I was hitting a predictable target (pad, board, etc.). To the face I'd extend my fingers, but keep them together as much as I could.

But mostly I'd just wait until I could punch again...few things will screw up your wrist faster than a palm-heel gone wrong.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the "Work your jab" most people have crappy jabs anyway. A couple days of focus could only help. Remember don't drop your hand when you bring the jab back.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I injured my right hand after I decided that it would be a good idea to punch some phone poles after I had some personal troubles and many, many rum & cokes.
    She's not worth it.

Work the jab and work slipping. You can never be too good with either.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, you can always try the bitch-slap... I mean the power slap a-la crazy monkey :tongue3:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-lIMuBkko[/media]

... and yeah, she is not worth it :p
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:02am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with El Macho. I give it a more manly powerful name thought...the bear claw!

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:56am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I agree with the "Work your jab" most people have crappy jabs anyway. A couple days of focus could only help. Remember don't drop your hand when you bring the jab back.
    Yeah, but try just throwing jabs nonstop for a few rounds... my arm gets so tired that my form starts to automatically get bad and then I kinda pick up habits from when I'm overtired. Besides, it'll be pretty tough to injure my wrist on just a focus mitt.

The further problem is that I normally jab with my right hand (I'm a right handed user of the southpaw stance, don't ask) though it doesn't hurt to work both sides.

P.S: And yes, I have been practicing my crazy monkey beatdown bitch slap since I injured my hand. You can get some pretty good force into that thing! Also, it's about ten times louder than a hook when you hit the focus mitt because of the "slap" effect, so it scares the crap out of my roomates.

I've decided that in bareknuckle fighting, you're likely to break your power hand on someone's face, so I've developped my own new fighting art (in which I hold a 10th Dan BB) where you hold your lead hand in a fist and your rear hand does palm strikes and slaps. It is a combination of Boxing, Palm Striking, and Slapping, which I call "Balm Strapping". Anyone want a 9th Dan? send me an e-mail and $50 CAD.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast