221983 Bullies, 4093 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeice
    If I'm not mistaken BJ Penn used "octopus guard" to take Matt Hughes back in round 2 of their fight in UFC 63... Live enough? Moreover, Recent enough?
    I'd have to watch the fight again, but I'll take your word for it.

I suppose it's the individual then. I've gone for a guard sweep, and then when they posture down I've gotten into this position, and instead of me holding them down or getting their back, they sink back and break my hold. By leaving my arm across their back like that, one guy actually passed into half guard and got an arm triangle on me. I guess I just suck.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to call bull. I've done that position numerous times inadvertantly, and as long as the other guy is bigger or slightly stronger than me, they just posture up or sink back and I'm left with nothing. I wanna see this used successfully live.
    The position is commonly used. It happens somewhat often no-gi. It is somewhat hard to judge based on those two clips whether there is anything novel there, but there are indeed several positional improvements, sweeps and submissions you can do from there.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I still think the shoulder lock is somewhat ridiculous. I can see it happening (hell, I've been getting kimura'd right and left lately, from all freaking angles) but the problem is more commonly and even with abs of steel when you take your weight off the posting arm your weight falls back some, letting them drive you down by the neck (which would create the possibility of armbars and omaplatas).

Oh great reviewer of bjj media, has that shoulder lock been done successfully in competition?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 9:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    And I still think the shoulder lock is somewhat ridiculous. I can see it happening (hell, I've been getting kimura'd right and left lately, from all freaking angles) but the problem is more commonly and even with abs of steel when you take your weight off the posting arm your weight falls back some, letting them drive you down by the neck (which would create the possibility of armbars and omaplatas).

Oh great reviewer of bjj media, has that shoulder lock been done successfully in competition?
    Yeah, I just reviewed that single handed kimura again and I agree. I can't see it being a secure submission either. The ab's of steel comment is perfect too.

I can see it being an annoyance to help clear the arm so you can move to the back but otherwise....meh.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 9:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given what some people have pulled off in comps, I'm curious what Aesopian can dig up.

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it's interesting that the guy has worked this game out, I'd advise people to work on their basics before trying this stuff.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoiler:
    That's a very diplomatic way to say "this move sucks".
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeice
    If I'm not mistaken BJ Penn used "octopus guard" to take Matt Hughes back in round 2 of their fight in UFC 63... Live enough? Moreover, Recent enough?
    I've seen the clip but not the entire set so the jury is still out on that one. The fact is, B.J. did use the move to take the back but he also used it for another very important reason. Going into that position prevented Matt Hughes from dropping elbows on him that would have ended the fight via doctor's stoppage which, from reading fighter interviews, sucks. Matt couldn't effectively throw any elbows from that position and had to keep forcing B.J. back down to the mat to attack which can be a very tiring thing. I think that's how he took Matt's back because Matt was trying to force him down and B.J. used it to his advantage.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes these 'new' positions make me wonder about helio's 'easier to teach a less intelligent man jujitsu' expression. How long is it gonna take to precisely label, indentify and market every viable or somewhat viable grappling position?

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 5:12pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, first we're going to have to work through the animal kingdom like the kung-fusters, until we, much like the kung-fusters, have an absurdly overcomplicated fighting system. Then I guess we can start working through other stuff. I should start working on my Viking Guard and Swedish Sweeps series.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast