233360 Bullies, 3691 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 3:24pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kansas City: Crawford's Mixed Martial Arts

I've trained at Crawford's MMA for going on 5 years now and I've seen the school go from humble beginnings, to a reasonably large space with a full cage, ring, and up to 40 students at a time during various classes.

Steve Crawford has been training fighters for combat sports since back when Pankration was one of the only ways you could hold MMA-like events in the midwest. His fighters have fought in the UFC, WEC, Cage Rage, and dozens of other local, regional, and international shows.

One of the best things about the school is Steve's approach to teaching. He's an extremely laid back, accomodating guy who can figure out your strengths and weaknesses in a fairly short amount of time.

The AJJ fight team is very close knit, and the school's best fighters are all great people who'll help out newbies just as much as they'll turn the heat on and throw down with each other. The atmosphere at the school really conveys that this is a family-run school.

Kids classes teach age-appropriate techniques based more on traditional Judo and Japanese Jujitsu, and reinforce practical approaches to the Martial Arts beyond just passing your kid through the belt ranks based on meaningless tests and demonstrations.

In Kansas City, there really is no other fight team like AJJ, which dominates local MMA events to such a degree that their fighters often find themselves matched up against those from a sister school. Notable fighters from AJJ include Curtis Stout, Rob Kimmons, John Cornett, Jason Teeman, Ron Jackson, Matt Cox, Dominic Brown and many others. Just about everyone who's anyone in the local MMA scene has trained with Steve.

Address:

Crawford's MMA / American Jujitsu
    8819 Metcalf Ave Overland Park, KS 66212

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crawford1.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	6474  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crawford2.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	6475  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crawford3.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	6476  

Posted On:
    11/02/2008 2:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 10th Planet/Jap JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great review.
    The cage and the ring look small, but awesome!

"Jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Posted On:
    1/06/2009 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BigDoggMMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True the cage and ring are small ,for a reason. With the cage and the ring being smaller you have to fight, and it also helps in teaching you to not move straight backwards. You learn to engage and get out using angles not just backing straight away. It also makes your shot defense better because you always do not have enough room to sprawl.

"jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2009 8:12pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ring at my boxing club is also about that size. There's no running away, you learn how to fight off the ropes, and it's good for footwork and angles.

Posted On:
    5/28/2009 8:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ajj, kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is the training though? I am doing kickboxing at another local school and not liking it. We pretty much ONLY spar and I want to learn techniques before I spar that much. This school is RIGHT next to my apartment, so I might have to check them out.

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 9:25am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by distortedgamer View Post
    How is the training though? I am doing kickboxing at another local school and not liking it. We pretty much ONLY spar and I want to learn techniques before I spar that much. This school is RIGHT next to my apartment, so I might have to check them out.
    Usually the class consists of a 30 minute warmup/conditioning, 45 or so minutes of technique, and up to an hour of free rolling/sparring afterwards. There's also a technique class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings that covers the basics which is best for people who want to focus on techniques.

Posted On:
    1/29/2010 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my name is chris i am 17 yrs olsd and i love the sport of mma and i would like to get into it but i have no resources of where to go and how to get into it if somebody can help me i wold appreaite it
    my email is chrisuftring@rocketmail.com
    thanks,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2010 2:51pm

Style: W.H.S.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard great things from about this school from people I trust.Good review

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:23pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been looking at the schedule for the past two years now (waiting to train until I'm out of school...finally) and it looks lighter than in the past.

Phrost (or others), am I having a stroke or is there less AJJ + kickboxing training now than in the past?

Posted On:
    1/26/2011 11:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: AJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I highly recommend Crawford's AJJ. I love going there and I even heard that he is upgrading to a larger and more state of the art facility very soon! Exciting!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast