Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 7:16am

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first mma fight

Hi peoples, sorry in advance if this is the wrong section to post in for this topic, I'm not good at finding where to post the right stuff :P

I got asked to fight in KOTC this Friday against a guy that apparently does kung fu. I've been doing muay thai for 18months and bjj/mma for about 12months (I train 5 nights a week and run 5km, approx 3miles 3 times a week atm). I don't know much about him apart from he's been training about twice as long as me but I don't know how frequently and he has done some ground work in his kung fu class.

I know absolutely nothing about kung fu apart from it's generally point sparring but I have no idea what the ground work he's done would include. I know kung fu is a rather broad term and without seeing him train is practically guessing as a response to this but please tell me what your opinion is in terms of his fighting stance/style, distancing, clinch skillz, wtf kung fu ground work is and anything else that may help me own the biatch. :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 7:38am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you train in what you say you train in, and he trains in kung fu, past experiences put you on top already.

Also, eating poo is bad for your cardio. :pottytrai

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 7:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yer i know man but I still don't wanna walk in oblivious to wtf he's gonna try to do regardless.
    Don't ask me why or how I found this but read the 2nd comment if your concerned about my diet (I didn't write this!):
    http://www.poopreport.com/Doctor/Kno...se/eating.html

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 8:10am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience their is not such thing as Kung Fu ground work. He is probably cross training, or trying to work on applying standing joint locks from a ground position. Let me think about it and see what else I can come up with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 8:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks ronin much appreciated, there tends to be a lot of "bjj" crappling around where I live and it's possible he is a victim of such

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only Chinese Kung Fu system that would qualify as grappling that I can think of would be Shuai Qiao, which shares a lot of similarities with Judo. But again I have not seen Shuai Qiao practitioners working ground submissions. Chinese SanDa (kickboxing) also makes use of takedowns, but no groundwork.

('._.)

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 9:50am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless he does Sanda and Shuai Qiao you have nothing to worry about.

And KOTC? Thats a pretty big show. Why are they bringing amateurs like you in there? Maybe you are thought of as a can and your fighting Cung Le or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 10:03am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you said, Kung Fu is a pretty broad term. If he's doing Wing Chun or some crap like that then you probably don't have anything to worry about. But, if he's entering a FC fight I would guess he's doing San Shou/Da which could be bad news for you. If his school does full contact sparring (there are actually KF schools in this world that still do) you can't really let the TMA biases affect your preperation.

As far as I know there isn't really any ground work in KF. He may go to a school like mine though which has wrestlers and JJ practicioners teaching ground work.

As always, it would be best to prepare for the worst and just hope he walks out in satin pajamas and tries some mantis bullshit on you.

Good luck in the fight.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    As you said, Kung Fu is a pretty broad term. If he's doing Wing Chun or some crap like that then you probably don't have anything to worry about. But, if he's entering a FC fight I would guess he's doing San Shou/Da which could be bad news for you. If his school does full contact sparring (there are actually KF schools in this world that still do) you can't really let the TMA biases affect your preperation.

As far as I know there isn't really any ground work in KF. He may go to a school like mine though which has wrestlers and JJ practicioners teaching ground work.

As always, it would be best to prepare for the worst and just hope he walks out in satin pajamas and tries some mantis bullshit on you.

Good luck in the fight.
    If he walks out and does that, get video!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get his name. Post it here. Someone here will be able to find out information about him. Honestly - if I was going to fight KOTC I would tell everyone I did Kung Fu also. So they would not see my deadly TKD coming at thier face!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast