Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Boran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello,
    I don't know if your search continues, but being born and raised in Thailand and having studied in both Muay Thai with Kruu Adison and Muay Chaiya with Ajarn Preang and researched the subject in thailand I can tell you....

I know of two teachers in all of thailand that will teach you muay boran as it once was, a regional variation. any school that's claiming to teach you 'muay boran' is full of ****, there's no such thing, its an umbrella term. In Bangkok, your best bet is to find Kruu Preang, he's one of the two students under Kruu Thong who was granted a teaching certificate in Muay Chaiya. Kruu Thong formed the famous Chuet Chaiya camp, which contrary to what every skeptic will tell you, was very successful in the ring. Kruu Thong was the most famous student of Ketr Siripatyai, who was the last grandmaster of muay thai, having learned from 14 different ajarns. If you look at the book "Muay Thai:THe most distinguished art of fighting" the author has a foreword talking about how Ketr Sirpatyai commissioned him to write a book...actually, Ketr Siripatyai didn't even know the author and the picture of supposedly the author visiting Ketr Siripatyai on his death bed is someone else entirely. Also, the book talks briefly about Kruu Setr or Kruu Thong developing the modern muay thai guard. After Kruu Thong died, the CheutChaiya camp shut down, and that was the end of ring fighting. Muay Chaiya is still being taught by Kruu Preang, but unless you have a few years to devote, probably don't want to bother. The techniques are vastly different, the striking is more applicable to gloves off styles of fighting than gloves on. The blocking system is very similar to crazy monkey, not the static ringsport style of blocking which does not work when gloves aren't used. As far as conditioning and stuff goes, you won't get any of that learning Muay Chaiya, it's all technique based, but the techniques are very very rich and diverse, and with its emphasis on groundfighting and stuff, more applicable out of the ring than in. I did mt for two years and sparred with these guys, they have a MUCH broader repoirtoire of techniques, and they did beat me up. No cardio tho, lol. Google video 'muay chaiya sparring' and you'll see the extensive array of blocking techniques...along with head movement and slipping, something totally lacking in a lot of modern mt training

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS Kruu Preang also teaches 'awud thai' which is the battlefield version of krabi krabong which ppl are correct in saying is ritualised nowadays

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evomma
    if anyone is still interested,there is a guy in bangkok, ajarn lek, who still teaches muay chaiya off soi 10 ekkamai at baan thai... he has legit credentials, he trained directly under the founder's top student and can back it up...there is also ajarmn praeng in thailand, who trained alongside ajarn lek, but praeng is a little tougher to find and i dont think he has an ongoing training group... people at fairtex and some of the more popular gyms can help you locate him if you really want to find him...good luck in your search, there are still some guys out there doing it if you look...
    actually, ajarn lek is the mcdojo master himself. Kruu Thong is who he claimed taught him, which is right, he was the only student of Ketr Siripatyai. Guess what, 'ajarn lek' learned from him for less than 3 years before running off to do thai art somewhere in the country. Kruu Thong gave only two teaching certificates, one to Kruu Preang, and one to another guy who teaches in Ramkamhaeng University. I defy you to find one photo or article with Kruu Thong and "Ajarn Lek" in it, compared to Kruu Preang who's appeared in numerous videos and magazine covers with Kruu Thong. Finally, how can an ajarn so fat show students techniques like 'mai pen' which requires above average mobility?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, AJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is Kruu Preang the Muay Chaiya master they featured on Human Weapon?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, he is. You rarely see him spar or anything, but here's a video where he's sparring with another master. They're using open hand strikes not to hurt each other. Note the differences from stadium muay thai-they don't have a dominant southpaw or orthodox stance(switch back and forth), the style of blocking is very active (instead of static double forearm blocking) and there's quite a lot of head movement. enjoy

Muay Chaiya basic Sparring by terapak -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 3:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yh but wing chun does work, and its not performance dance thing, wat ever your on about, dim mak is no diff from the pressure point training u get in special forces and stuff like that, and wushu isnt just sum gymnastic thing u see on tv, its includes a mix of styles + sanda (which is fought in a ring), i mean how can u say "allegedly" when if it was all crap then them styles would have died out years ago

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 3:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Your stye field says muay thai, so that means you already train in muay thai right?

What do you think the almost mythical muay boran can give you that you don't already get from muay thai. Why go to all this bother trying to track down something that will probably turn out to be bullshit anyway, I don't get it?
    in Muay Boran, you dont just learn the basic moves you get in muay thai, u also learn locks and throws aswell as move advance technique, also Muay Thai is a sport, its just been made basic to fit the ring, not sayin it isnt effective, cuz i love muay thai, but Muay Boran was made to kill, designed to killed sumone in one hit or move and move on to the nx enemy, so u do learn things that u dnt learn while training in Muay Thai, also its good to learn old school stuff, its betta then learnin the crap fake styles u get in america or the ones in korea

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 3:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    yeah i guess the fact that ive been doing MT for about 3 years with some of the best fighters in NZ and some very skilled trainers (from thailand) as well as international level fighters who frequently visit thailand hasnt got **** on your 5 minute fucking wiki search after taking one CARDIO kickboxing class, am i right? did i miss something there? oh how about the fact that ive researched this myself? im as much of an asiaphile geek as the next guy who insists on muay thai being pronounced properly.

Im trying to help you out here but if you want to measure dicks then put it away sunshine because you havent got ****. and please, fucking wiki? im going to bet that it also says wing chun is the deadly and masters of the straight line etc etc. if you want to waste your fucking time looking for an art which has basically been tossed aside and only recently "brought back" by clever thais looking to make a quick buck off dumb americans, be my guest. like i said before, muay boran in this day and age is just like wushu. yes, there are martial applications in there. but the only **** in there that is going to work can be found in muay thai and the level of training at a MT camp is gonna be better.

god, the fact that this thread isnt in newbie town gives me a big rubbery one

edit- Lanna camp is for tourists, go to kaewsamrit

OMG I FUCKIN H8 IT!! wen ppl pronouce it Moooo Thai, WTF since wen was it called "pig Thai" (for ppl who dont get that, pig in Thai language is Moo), and erm the stright line thing does work, its alot to do with physics and that, same with aikijutsu, but thats not the point, why are u sooo mean lol i mean one thing i always say if u practice muay thai u have to be a nice person, otherwise the way u shoot your mouth sumtimes is an insult to it AND U SAID KICKBOXING!!! DONT CALL IT THAT!!! for a guy who claims to be an asiaphile(which sounds wrong! lol) u dont kno much, also 3 years of training? get wise man, 3 years is nuthin to the amount of years a regular thai has done it for, so dnt be all high and mighty on a forum threatnin to knee people in the face.. though it was funny.., when u sooo kno theres sum guy out theres whos done it longer and better then you, and knows more then u or that otherguy uve been arguein with, ... but yeh MOO THAI!!??? omg that recks me

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 1:24am

Style: San Shou, MT, & No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, i read up on this and i found one school that supposedly teaches Muay Chaiya (its in Thailand though) its called Sriwana Chaiyarat. I think it's worth looking into...

Edit: Their site doesn't seem to working at the moment www.sriwanachaiyarat.com

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 4:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiningwolf View Post
    Well, i read up on this and i found one school that supposedly teaches Muay Chaiya (its in Thailand though) its called Sriwana Chaiyarat. I think it's worth looking into...

Edit: Their site doesn't seem to working at the moment www.sriwanachaiyarat.com
    arg i cant read thai lmao, but nice link :) u kno wat wud be cool to learn, lerdrit from the thai army! thats like a modern version of old muay :)
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast