Page 7 of 10 First ... 345678910 Last
  1. #61
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,680
    Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you wanna find "muay boran" in Thailand, good luck and take vaseline with you, for when they screw you over (and they will), it won't hurt so much.
    But if you wanna train a combat version of Muay Thai, why don't you look for "Lerdrit", it's the MT-version that's trained to the Thai Army. Normally there are no schools in it for foreigners and non-militairy persons, but hey it's Thailand. If you got the money, you can find a soldier that will train you in it when you're there, expect wel no certificat to legit your training, but you will know "modern day Muay Boran".

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40
    Style
    submission wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    muay boran is the old style of muay thai. thats why they call it ancient boxing. no one uses it anymore cause it doesnt work. kinda like punching in muay thai when the dutch fighters came over and started punching the crap out of the thai fighters. thai fighters had to learn western boxing. before that they did these weird ass extend punchs like sagat in SF. but hey u wanna go to thailand and learn muay boran go right ahead at least whoever is training you gets paid.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3
    Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Sagat actually does Muay Boran. :-P

  4. #64
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Bison does Lerdrit.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if anyone is still interested,there is a guy in bangkok, ajarn lek, who still teaches muay chaiya off soi 10 ekkamai at baan thai... he has legit credentials, he trained directly under the founder's top student and can back it up...there is also ajarmn praeng in thailand, who trained alongside ajarn lek, but praeng is a little tougher to find and i dont think he has an ongoing training group... people at fairtex and some of the more popular gyms can help you locate him if you really want to find him...good luck in your search, there are still some guys out there doing it if you look...

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario,canada
    Posts
    8
    Style
    Jeet Kune Do, Muay Boran.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrisle
    i'm learning muay boran. for clarifacation its pronounced bulon. no bs, he's from bankok, learned from his uncle. since there are about 15 precessors to todays Muay Thai, i'd say your chances of finding someone are exactly like the responses your getting from people. i was unaware that i was even learning it until today, googled out of interest, and now im here. krabi krabong is not a dance lol.







    You learn it too, pretty complicated aye, in my school/camp, we learn to be ambidextros, lern to hutt with both handss, we condition every part of our bdies, we get taught with different knd of cloths on to adapt to different situations

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario,canada
    Posts
    8
    Style
    Jeet Kune Do, Muay Boran.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan
    If you wanna find "muay boran" in Thailand, good luck and take vaseline with you, for when they screw you over (and they will), it won't hurt so much.
    But if you wanna train a combat version of Muay Thai, why don't you look for "Lerdrit", it's the MT-version that's trained to the Thai Army. Normally there are no schools in it for foreigners and non-militairy persons, but hey it's Thailand. If you got the money, you can find a soldier that will train you in it when you're there, expect wel no certificat to legit your training, but you will know "modern day Muay Boran".



    Well obviosly they will tell you since you are trained in muay thai or several others MA styles, they wont mess with you, plus it is ILLEGAL

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario,canada
    Posts
    8
    Style
    Jeet Kune Do, Muay Boran.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicelast4
    muay boran is the old style of muay thai. thats why they call it ancient boxing. no one uses it anymore cause it doesnt work. kinda like punching in muay thai when the dutch fighters came over and started punching the crap out of the thai fighters. thai fighters had to learn western boxing. before that they did these weird ass extend punchs like sagat in SF. but hey u wanna go to thailand and learn muay boran go right ahead at least whoever is training you gets paid.



    They do use it, I use it, that other person uses it, TONY JAA uses it, ever wondered were tony jaa learned it from

  9. #69
    WhiteShark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,168
    Style
    BJJ/Shidokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could go to Thailand and Train with my old coach. He is way into Krabi Krabong and ancient Muay Thai styles. He's also a pretty fun/funny guy.

    www.ancientmuaythai.com

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario,canada
    Posts
    8
    Style
    Jeet Kune Do, Muay Boran.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    You could go to Thailand and Train with my old coach. He is way into Krabi Krabong and ancient Muay Thai styles. He's also a pretty fun/funny guy.

    www.ancientmuaythai.com





    That is true, the information is right, bu not the style, the style is modern I have heard of it, it is very good ot learn, but it is not "ancient' it is more modern

Page 7 of 10 First ... 345678910 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO