Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 1:16am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Your stye field says muay thai, so that means you already train in muay thai right?

What do you think the almost mythical muay boran can give you that you don't already get from muay thai. Why go to all this bother trying to track down something that will probably turn out to be bullshit anyway, I don't get it?
    He wants to be Tony Jaa when he grows up.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:06am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the founding Dog Brothers http://dogbrothers.com/wrapper.php?f...os_sanford.htm studied Krabi Krabong in Thailand. You could try him.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:26am

Style: Muay Thai/Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts
    He wants to be Tony Jaa when he grows up.
    Yeah but im not asian, but luckily with the success of the face transplants I can be!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 3:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid1014
    Actually I am plan on attending the lanna camp at Chiang Mai, although that may change.

I'm not an expert, but then again neither are you, I only know what i've read and collaborated with from numerous sites. How is your information or opinion any more suspect than anyone elses. If you knew anything of boran also you'd know that muay thai and muay boran are extremely different.
    yeah i guess the fact that ive been doing MT for about 3 years with some of the best fighters in NZ and some very skilled trainers (from thailand) as well as international level fighters who frequently visit thailand hasnt got **** on your 5 minute fucking wiki search after taking one CARDIO kickboxing class, am i right? did i miss something there? oh how about the fact that ive researched this myself? im as much of an asiaphile geek as the next guy who insists on muay thai being pronounced properly.

Im trying to help you out here but if you want to measure dicks then put it away sunshine because you havent got ****. and please, fucking wiki? im going to bet that it also says wing chun is the deadly and masters of the straight line etc etc. if you want to waste your fucking time looking for an art which has basically been tossed aside and only recently "brought back" by clever thais looking to make a quick buck off dumb americans, be my guest. like i said before, muay boran in this day and age is just like wushu. yes, there are martial applications in there. but the only **** in there that is going to work can be found in muay thai and the level of training at a MT camp is gonna be better.

god, the fact that this thread isnt in newbie town gives me a big rubbery one

edit- Lanna camp is for tourists, go to kaewsamrit
    Last edited by alex; 9/26/2006 4:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 7:30am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    like i said before, muay boran in this day and age is just like wushu. yes, there are martial applications in there. but the only **** in there that is going to work can be found in muay thai and the level of training at a MT camp is gonna be better.
    I agree.

A few months ago I had asked my Sifu about Krabi Krabong and Muay Boran. He said flat out there is no "real" Muay Boran anymore. He said you may find Krabi Krabong here and there in Thailand, but even it isn't mainstream anymore and any that you do find would more than likely soem sort of movie-fu hybrid.

He said if you want to really get training similar to Krabi Krabong to just take Kali. Instead of short swords you're using rattan sticks and the technques are virtually the same

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 8:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're serious about training muay boran or kk, send me a PM.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I blame this shitty thread on Tony Jaa and Ong Bak. I like the movie for its acrobatics and entertaining value, but Jesus Fucking Christ Titties (sorry Jesus)!!!

Lucid, if your purpose for learning it is not for fighting, then that's fine. Whatever pleases your personal goals. Everyone will respect that... but c'mon!!! Just look at your post!!!

I guess I missed your meaning in performance, is it sports fighting in a ring? No. But I don't think its just performance based.It can be used in self defense rather effectively from what I've read. Though that isnt my purpose behind learning it.
    Here are people who train regularly, almost daily (if not already) on Muay Thai and other combat sports, and go banging the crap out of each other to test their **** on a regular basis. They are telling you based on their actual, hard-earned knowledge that Muay Boran is not for fighting. And you are telling them that they may be wrong, that you THINK otherwise because you READ differently somewhere else (references please)????

(Actual knowledge + real experience) >>>> (pi * ( thinking out of reading)! ) ^ 100

Thinking otherwise is not very practical IMO. Nothing personal, but c'mon man. Use some logic.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technically this is all erroneous because I didn't ask for any damn opinions. I just wanted information.

They are telling you based on their actual, hard-earned knowledge that Muay Boran is not for fighting.
    I understand what your saying, but honestly if muay boran is dead, then how the hell do they know what it is or is not. Nobody here has ever fought or sparred anyone who knows any form of muay boran. Which means they are just repeating things they've heard as well. Also why the hell are these people any different form something on another website? I've never seen BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai or any other form of martial arts work outside the room. I'm not saying it doesn't, but logically that puts everything at the same level. All I have is hearsay.

Your hearsay is just as good as any one elses. In fact I tend to believe it less than other places, because of the enviroment here. I was recommended to this website because I was told it was a great place to find stuff out about different martial arts, but if anyone asks about something the only thing the vast majority replies with is...that style sucks, my styles better, his style sucks, or some form of shut the **** up. I'm no stranger to forum culture, but this place is rediculous.

And you know what I am tired of hearing all the **** talking about all the different MA's. Theirs good fighters and shitty fighters. A good fighter can make a style work. A shitty fighter would just be as bad at muay thai as he would be wushu. Fighting is alot more than just your technique.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technically this is all erroneous because I didn't ask for any damn opinions. I just wanted information.
    Ummmm, information is composed of both facts and opinions. Knowledge of facts and opinions based from them constitute an understanding or insight... which is what you asked for (in addition to tapping the opinion of the bullshido collective)... see your first post.

I'm trying to find somewhere that teaches any of the Muay Boran styles or even Krabi Krabong. I've been using google-fu and even Tae Kwon Yahoo but to no avail. I know they are rare styles and even the people who do teach it are usually fakers, and a real practitioner in america might even be non-existent however I was hoping to tap the human collective of Bullshido.

Also I am planning on visiting Thailand next year, and am looking for a place there that teaches it. The only place I've found is http://www.muaychaiya.com/index_en.html which is not the most intelligible site to read in english, not to mention it is rather costly...600 dollars US a month! Compared to the average muay thai training camps which are usually around 100-200 dollars a month. I am aware that they are fairly different styles contrary to popular belief. Also it being a rare style might warrant a higher price, but 600 dollars almost seems like extorting the rich american ferang :P

Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Also, expecting to dictate the type of responses you will get in a site like bullshido - besides the fact that you came here asking for insight (.ie. opinions), I don't understand why you are crying like a virgin just gang-raped by a band of baboons.

I understand what your saying, but honestly if muay boran is dead, then how the hell do they know what it is or is not.
    Ad hominem. Red herring.

Nobody here has ever fought or sparred anyone who knows any form of muay boran.
    Neither have you, and yet you have already formulated an opinion. The difference is that they have fighting experience in Muay Thai... while you... well, you know I guess you believe reading is power.

Which means they are just repeating things they've heard as well.
    As opposed to you who said you have read otherwise (and for which you still haven't provided any reference to you reading materials in question.)

Also why the hell are these people any different form something on another website? I've never seen BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai or any other form of martial arts work outside the room.
    Because you have been living under a rock.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but logically that puts everything at the same level. All I have is hearsay.
    When it comes to your opinions, that's true.

Your hearsay is just as good as any one elses. In fact I tend to believe it less than other places, because of the enviroment here. I was recommended to this website because I was told it was a great place to find stuff out about different martial arts, but if anyone asks about something the only thing the vast majority replies with is...that style sucks, my styles better, his style sucks, or some form of shut the **** up. I'm no stranger to forum culture, but this place is rediculous.
    Well, if you don't like it, then go somewhere else. No one is forcing you, right?

And you know what I am tired of hearing all the **** talking about all the different MA's. Theirs good fighters and shitty fighters. A good fighter can make a style work. A shitty fighter would just be as bad at muay thai as he would be wushu. Fighting is alot more than just your technique.
    Irrelevant. Non sequitor. Wrong. Bye.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 9/26/2006 1:51pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked if anyone knew where i could learn muay boran, or krabi krabong. Not is it good? is it teh deadly! Just where, which is factual.

Second off, in this situation reading IS power. Muay Boran is not muay thai. The strategy, methodology, and technique is different. Therefore knowledge in muay thai has no bearing on muay boran. So I don't care if you have been studying muay thai for 45 years that doesn't make you an expert at muay boran. Its like saying "well I can drive a car, so I know everything about riding horses."

Originally Posted by Lucid1014
    Also why the hell are these people any different form something on another website? I've never seen BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai or any other form of martial arts work outside the room.
    Because you have been living under a rock.
    I haven't been living under a rock. I think those styles are good for self defense, but I've never personally witnessed anyone use them for self defense. And with the logic thrown at me I was just countering in kind. I know how to handle myself. I've been in plenty of "str33tfights" and i know how to avoid the glass and lava. So I could care less if muay boran was totally useless. And frankly the flaming and trolling just annoys me. Trust me I'm not crying.

As far as my sources do you want them MLA or APA :P but seriously. Numerous websites.

www.defend.net
    www.fightingarts.com
    www.sherdog.com
    www.ancientmuaythai.com
    www.dogbrothers.com
    www.krumuaythai.net
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast