Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid1014
    No not really, Krabi Krabong has become a ritualistic dance. Muay Boran however is not.
    oh and you are an expert how?

muay boran, as it is these days, is basically the thai equivalent of chinese wushu. maybe you watched ong bak one too many times but let me reiterate- you are going to have SERIOUS trouble finding a non bullshit muay boran school in thailand. because anyone who knows how to FIGHT is running a muay thai camp. if you go to thailand and spend the time there vainly searching for muay boran instead of going and learning how to fight at one of the plentiful and cheap and high quality muay thai camps that cover thailand i will personally track you down and KNEE YOUR GODDAMN FACE IN.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:24am

Style: Muay Thai/Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OPdkZEk5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwqgb...elated&search=

Maybe what you are referring too is a yang sam kum, a demonstration of the footwork. Which looks like a dance. As shown at about 1:37 into the above clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRSx...elated&search=

Wiki: Muay Boran, which translates to "Ancient Boxing", is the predecessor to Muay Thai. The aim of Muay Boran is to help a warrior survive a battle after he has lost his weapons (until this time, he will use a style known as Krabi Krabong); its style is quite efficient, in that it maximizes the amount of damage that every blow can leverage, and effective, in that it can easily lead to the death or serious injury of the opponent. Most notably, Muay Boran emphasizes the usage of extremely powerful elbow and knee techniques, and combinations thereof, always thrown at full force and speed, with the intent to overcome one's adversary as quickly as possible, because another one might already be coming close or attacking. Muay Boran were categorized in to Muay Thasao (North), Muay Korat (Esarn or North-East), Muay Lobburee and Muay Chaiya. There was the phrase state that "Powerful punch Korat, Wit Lobburee, Good Posture Chaiya, Faster Thasao" (หมัดหนักโคราช ฉลาดลพบุรี ท่าดีไชยา เร็วกว่าท่าเสา)

Not to mention that theirs a a Muay Kaacheurk competition in the works by Songchai Promotions one of the larger muay thai fight promoters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I am plan on attending the lanna camp at Chiang Mai, although that may change.

I'm not an expert, but then again neither are you, I only know what i've read and collaborated with from numerous sites. How is your information or opinion any more suspect than anyone elses. If you knew anything of boran also you'd know that muay thai and muay boran are extremely different.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah ok, and in what way do those videos demonstrate that muay boran is more than just a performance art?

I've seen a few vids from that Chaiya place, and they all look pretty piss poor as far as effective training goes.

What I am referring to by choreographed demos, which comprises all of what you will ever see muay boran used for, is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7WXAg4KPI
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:39am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some friends are going back to the lanna camp this winter. Which camp are you going to, the main one or the new one they've been working on in the hills?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I missed your meaning in performance, is it sports fighting in a ring? No. But I don't think its just performance based.It can be used in self defense rather effectively from what I've read. Though that isnt my purpose behind learning it.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I missed your meaning in performance, is it sports fighting in a ring? No. But I don't think its just performance based.It can be used in self defense rather effectively from what I've read. Though that isnt my purpose behind learning it.
    so can wing chun, dim mak, and performance wushu, allegedly.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main one, i dont know anything about the new one. I'm not going till probably the summer maybe next fall.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find this idea intriguing and wholly origianl. Please expound on this notion of sports martial arts versus pure self defense.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 1:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your stye field says muay thai, so that means you already train in muay thai right?

What do you think the almost mythical muay boran can give you that you don't already get from muay thai. Why go to all this bother trying to track down something that will probably turn out to be bullshit anyway, I don't get it?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast