Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 12:40pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which 9mm ammo brands to AVOID?

Hey there folks in-the-know,

I just bought a SA-XD 9mm and I'm curious as to what kinds of ammo to avoid. I know Wolf is pretty good, the Winchesters I shot through it are great, and I've heard Remington isn't too bad. I've aso heard Speer is clean and reliable.

But there are sooo many damned brands....what are some I should avoid?

Especially ones that have a reputation for misfires, misfeeds and just being cheap-assed crap. I prefer my guns not to detonate in my hand and having as few duds as possible is nice.

Opinions?

Thanxs.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wolf is good? Wolf is about the dirtiest ammo I have ever used in my AR. Worse IMO than Lake City. Maybe the 9mm is different. I use American Eagle in my .40 and have never had a problem. Not as pricey as some others either.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 2:02pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Red Elvis on Wolf. I have never had a FTF, Squib, or FTE with wolf but I might as well drop my gun in the mud its so dirty. I have shot both 9mm and .45 wolf and both are dirty rounds imo.

Winchester white box is what we use for factory ammo. Its cheap and I haven't had any problems. Speer is nice but more expensive. I keep speer loaded in my guns at home and shoot it sparingly at the range. The indoor range I shoot at sells their own reloads and I have had good experience with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 4:02pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MagSafe and Magtech ammos of all sizes tend to have higher incidences of reliability issues. (statistically not to worrisome but dont gamble with your life eh) and serrior belliot (sp?) have been known to be over pressured

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 10:41am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input.

I had heard the Wolf was reliable...actually I think the "New and Improved Iraqi Army" just bought out their entire surplus, sending the cost of 9mm up %15, and next month its supposed to shoot up anoth %15 (my buddy who has a gun shop passed along this rumor.) So I'm assuming any army is gonna want reliable ammo, but clean, I don't think they'd care.

Thanks guys, hadn't heard about how dirty those were. To bad they're so damned cheap where I live.

I'll have to check out some American Eagle sometime.

rock!
    :qleft3: :XXhippylo

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 10:47am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wolf makes a decent AK round, their 45 ACP sucks and I've had it jamb my 45, so I don't trust their pistol ammo.

Not impressed with your performance!

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never use Wolf or any steel cased ammo in any of my guns that cost more than $100. There are a couple of reasons. First, I don't know how, in the long run, the steel cases wear a gun. Not willing to chance it. Second, I reload and I can't reload steel cases. Third, I've seen first hand where the lacquer on the steel cases gets hot and gummy causing failures to extract. I do run the 7.62x39 in my SKS's all day long and it works just fine.

I won't use Fiocci (SP?), Magtech, or headstamp A-MERC in any caliber.

S&B actually makes quality ammo IMO. I can personally attest to the fact that their 9mm and .45 ACP brass is within spec and can handle several reloads.

Whincester white box, UMC, and even Ultramax remanufactured is quality ammo.
    If God carried a gun, it would be a 1911.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Cicero

Fortitudine Vincimus - Ernest Shackelton :englishmo

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 2:34am

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont get me wrong, S&B is good ammunition. Just a bit hot. If your running a mousegun like a Kel-tec .32 or .380 it'll wear your piece down faster.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 11:35pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't CCI Blazer ammo in anything that fires from an open bolt (like a MAC-10) or something without a fully supported chamber (such as Glock). While Blazer ammo works just fine in wheelguns or fully supported chambers, the aluminium casings tend to rupture in MAC model pistols.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:51am

Style: Ha Say Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a lot of primer failures with remington ammo. I avoid the stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast