Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 10:06am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stupid Simple Scissors Sweep

While planning my stupid simple sweep series, I decided to show how to do it off a failed scissors sweep. But then it struck me: in all my interneting, I've never seen a good and detailed scissors sweep tutorial. Those that I have found lack a lot of important details or are not even what I'd call a "scissors sweep". So I resolved to shoot my own instructional of the move and put it up along side my stupid simple sweeps.

Here it is.

Jon is in my closed guard with posture. I grab just under both his elbows. I don't know which way I want to sweep him yet so I hold both arms.

The placement of this grip is more important that you probably realize. If I were to just hold his wrists, when I went for the sweep, even if I pulled his hand away, he'd still be able to drop his elbow to the mat and post on it. With this elbow grip, I can take his elbow and forearm away.

Starting to stand, Jon gets to his right foot.

Seeing his right foot go up, I get a cross collar grip on the opposite side, since that's the direction I'll be sweeping him.

I'm sorry to say that I made an error in this photo. I should have reached under his arm to grab the collar, not over. It just gives you better inside control of his posture.

I open my guard and straighten my left leg, making it heavy and stiff on his thigh. I use this to lift my hips, slide backwards and turn sideways.

In addition to my Halloween underwear, from this angle you can see how I am stiffening my leg against his thigh to lift my hips, scoot back and turn on my side.

Aftering scooting away and turning sideways, I drive my knee across his waist, so my shin is across his stomach and my foot is hooking his hips.

From the other side, you can see how my knee has penetrated all the way to the other side. Also notice how my bottom leg is laying on the mat away from his knee. This space is important later when I want to chop out his knee.

Now I pull him forward to break his balance and lift him with my shin. But there's more to this than you may realize -- I know there is more than I realized. Most people will just pull down into themselves, with their elbows going down to the mat. This is weak for two reasons: that just pulls their weight down on to you and your elbows hit the ground before they can generate much power.

I train with a brown belt codenamed Mean Jeff whose number one sweep is the scissors and has been for years. Having been on the receiving end of it several thousand times, I can tell you that he'll make you do airtime and flip over before hitting the ground, not just fall sideways as you do in drilling.

While teaching a class on nothing but the scissors sweep, Jeff showed how he does this. When he pulls them, he actually tries to bring his elbows over his head, like he wants them to fly over him. He said its like how judoka do kazushi for throws. The movement is what a Raspado, a purple belt in BJJ and green in judo, calls "looking at your watch", where you bring your wrists up to your face.

When you do this, you'll feel their weight come off their legs, making them really easy to scissors now, since their center of gravity is no longer resting over them.

From the side, you can see how I'm doing "judo elbows" on him and taking his weight off his legs.

My bottom leg chops out his knee. When I do this, I make sure to slide it along the mat and hit them at the very bottom of their knee. Some people have a habit of lifting this leg and chopping them at the waist, which doesn't take out their leg.

Twisting my hips to come on top.

Now in mount. Notice how I'm still holding the same collar and elbow grip. You can use this to take an armbar in the last photo instead of mounting, but that's for another day.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the scissors sweep, usually about it being so basic that everyone can counter it. I think part of this is that too many people wish it were a one-shot sweep, like it should magically work the first try. Another lesson that came out of Jeff's class is that, like with anything in BJJ, you need to have different setups and follow-ups for the scissors sweep to get the most out of it.

So below I present the equivalent of the stupid simple sweep as a follow-up to a failed scissors sweep.

As should be clear from my expression, I went for a scissors sweep but it failed. Jon was able to keep his base.

I bring my bottom leg up and step on the inside of his knee.

Kicking out his knee, I scissors my top leg again and do judo elbows. You should know the extremely important detail on how I push the knee from the last two tutorials.

Twisting my hips to come on top.

Mount with smugness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 10:21am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool tips, thanks man.

It's funny because I think that's what I do (unconsciously) sometimes when I do that sweep and afterwards I'll go, "Damn, you know...that felt WAY too easy"...and I don't do it on those sweeps where I'll have the guy bearing his weight down on me.

Now that it's illustrated, I'll make a more conscious effort to "look at my watch"...

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff. The scissor sweep is the most fundamental important sweep to learn imo. Its the first one I learned and I always use it to this day.

Ricardo Liborio is known for hitting this on EVERYBODY. Rhadi Ferguson posted on MMA.TV that Liborio hits it on him. I don't think people realize the weight of that statement. I have felt Rhadi's passing game. It is as bad ass as you would expect from a Judo Olympian and BJJ black belt.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 10:52am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That I threw in the knee kicking as in the other stupid simple sweeps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spooky, Muldar. Guess what we drilled on Saturday morning?

I worked a lot closer during our drills. I was also bringing my knee across the chest as my first move, not moving my body first ( and wondering if the knee across the chest wouldn't just telegraph the sweep). Now I see the sequence and timing of the sweep much differently. I suspect the difference between how I was drilling and how you set up your photos has less to do with gym variations (yours and mine) than with my incomplete understanding of the drill at class. Your "tutorial" will help a lot in figuring things out (btw, some of your tutorials are clearer and easier to follow than the books that are available - so thanks, your time is not wasted and is appreciated).

On another note, "BJJ Over 40" from Roy Harris was kind of a downer, his somewhat droning narrative and condescending tone towards the "over 40" crowd made me feel only slightly younger than the dinosaurs. I wish he'd taken a more upbeat attitude (something along the lines of "maximize your efficiency!" instead of "don't let those young studs beat you you down - you've got to show up at the office on Monday, but they're unemployed!" - yeah, he said young studs, and show up at the office on Monday, but I made up the part about the unemployed - he actually said "they have trust funds and take every class I offer, but you've got a job and family!").

On the other hand, when I kept getting slammed to the mat by a former football player throwing tackles from the knee sparring position and bouncing off my chest into sidemount, a lot of Harris' defensive postures/moves tips helped me survive. I mean survive under a mount without getting suffocated, choked, or armbarred.

I was all revved up to take my first second class in over a month this week, but by Sunday I had bruises all over (not just the usual upper arm bruises), sprains (almost all of my fingers, natch, but also my shoulder and knee), and felt generally pretty beat up. Which amazes me considering I was pacing myself better and not spazzing out. Right now I am watching videos like crazy, drilling with my wife (when she'll let me), and reading books, so I that can learn enough to actually participate instead of spazzing and crappling, and at least not fall behind my classmates. It's not the p.e. and drilling at class that beats me up, it's the free sparring, and sparring is "free" with every class....

My instructor said the only way to get past the syndrome of needing a week to heal is to just say "WTF" and start taking a second class regardless....

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Mount with smugness."

Never forget this step.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually get up on my elbow to get closer before pulling. So I drop back down and pull with my back as well as my arms.

I dunno if anyone else does this or if people do it and just seldom mention it. But I'm weak and I always have to do these little "extra" things to make stuff work on bigger guys.
    More human than human is our motto.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:46am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting on your elbow so you can fall back is good too. I just didn't do it for whatever reason.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am enjoying your stupid simple series immensely. Not because they are anything profound or new but because the photos and explanations are better than any friggen book I have ever purchased. It would be cool to create a section for these and sticky them once the round of posting runs dry. Good stuff Aeso, makes me wanna start BJJ again which I have been debating on lately.
    But of course the big question is... How do no gi? :icon_wink

(BTW, That is a joke people... please don't post how to do it. This means you Osiris).
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    I usually get up on my elbow to get closer before pulling. So I drop back down and pull with my back as well as my arms.

I dunno if anyone else does this or if people do it and just seldom mention it. But I'm weak and I always have to do these little "extra" things to make stuff work on bigger guys.
    I do the same thing against bigger guys. Actually, I rarely use this technique anymore as your better leg attackers will get sub opportunities from this if your not fast enough or don't have good control of the opposite elbow. Which loosely translated means, I must be sloppy with this sweep and need to drill it more. Bah!
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast