Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:18pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyork
    From what i have seen and read about keysi (having never studied it) it seems to be like a lot of ther self defence or self protection arts, it has some good points and some bad points. I think its a shame so many people forget to look at whats good in something at times. Im not saying Keysi is perfect, in my eyes no art is perfect, thats why we shou ALL cross train.
    The hype puts off most people and that is why the good gets ignored.

What they do well can also be found elsewhere (as with many arts) where you don't ahev to have the "Keysi, Keysi, rah rah rah" approach.

To me it has gone against the spirit if JKD in that it has ( or has attempted to) codify combat and has become just another system of combat.

Not without merit and not without application...but the lashings of hyperbole make it somewhat unpalatable

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo Karate Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    The hype puts off most people and that is why the good gets ignored.

What they do well can also be found elsewhere (as with many arts) where you don't ahev to have the "Keysi, Keysi, rah rah rah" approach.

To me it has gone against the spirit if JKD in that it has ( or has attempted to) codify combat and has become just another system of combat.

Not without merit and not without application...but the lashings of hyperbole make it somewhat unpalatable
    As is the same with a lot of "real combat and self defence" arts
    Also if you loko at it like this, the two founders of keysi teach it for a leaving as far as im aware, therefore they would probably want to advertise it and get people interested, hyping it up could be one way of doing this.
    Last edited by jonyork; 1/05/2007 1:24pm at .

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:54pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is constant battle between hype and credibility - too much and it sounds too good to be true; too little and no-one trains with you!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyork
    ye fair points.

and whats a thread necro?
    Thread Necromancy

Basically, bumping an old thread that is all but abandoned back to the first page. The last post before your's was on the following date by the following poster:

09-28-2006, 10:55 AM #15 Neildo

It is considered bad internet etiquette unless you are contributing something informative to the revived thread. It's also something "noobs" would normally do. They will reply to an old thread without bringing something new to the table. I thought you had some valid questions so I tried to answer them. Most would flame. I care more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Mistake! Got KFM confused with KFC

Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keysi_Fighting_Method

"Description

KFM makes use of multiple attacking ranges, with or without weapons. The KFM trademark is the thinking man (Pensador) and thinking man attack (pensataq), which makes use of a tight defensive shape to protect the most precious part of the body, the head, and literally smashes and opens up the opponent for the finish using all ranges of strikes - punches, hammer fists, kicks, knees, and the sharp elbows, all at high, middle and low lines on the opponent.
    They were happy to sign me up at the local KFC dojo. Is it wrong for me to have to bow to "The Colonel??" Wish I'd read this thread first! :5badair:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KFM makes use of multiple attacking ranges, with or without weapons. The KFM trademark is the thinking man (Pensador) and thinking man attack (pensataq), which makes use of a tight defensive shape to protect the most precious part of the body, the head, and literally smashes and opens up the opponent for the finish using all ranges of strikes - punches, hammer fists, kicks, knees, and the sharp elbows, all at high, middle and low lines on the opponent.

i prefer a knife, but if it works, it works. oh wait, its movie fighting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KFM, BJJ, Mantis KF, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to England to train Keysi last summer. I've been doing various martial arts for 8 years now. It was actually a really good view on how to fight. The theory is sound, they don't bullshit you into thinking you're a deadly fighter or anything. Many of the moves are designed to minimize damage, recognizing that not all attacks can be blocked or avoided. Also, there's no "special" or "secret" moves/techniques, most stuff is pretty common sense.

The instructors are pretty good, the guys who I was working with had trained in the system for around 8-10 years. Also, both founders have pretty good martial arts credentials, including BJJ experience.

The training is pretty good, they do train using the "aliveness" theory, so there is a resistant attacker during free spars. The design of the system is to defend against multiple attackers, and incorporates striking, groundwork, and weapons training. The thinking man is actually damned useful, and it's not as easy to work around as people think it is. It's one of those systems that you actually have to try out to believe in its effectiveness.

I know some won't take my word on the effectiveness of the system. But hey, that's what free intro classes are for.

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you describe the thinking man rationale in more detail?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KFM, BJJ, Mantis KF, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure... forgive any errors I may make. I had a bit to drink when I went out to dinner just now.

The "thinking man" does as wikipedia says, it protects the head. The body can take a bit more damage than the head can. In a real fight, you want to protect your weakest point, because chances are, you may not be getting up after a few blows to the head versus the body. Also, try this drill: have three people attack various parts of you with focus pads (head, body, legs), and see where your hands end up when they're all attacking simultaneously.

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu06
    Sure... forgive any errors I may make. I had a bit to drink when I went out to dinner just now.

The "thinking man" does as wikipedia says, it protects the head. The body can take a bit more damage than the head can. In a real fight, you want to protect your weakest point, because chances are, you may not be getting up after a few blows to the head versus the body. Also, try this drill: have three people attack various parts of you with focus pads (head, body, legs), and see where your hands end up when they're all attacking simultaneously.
    i meant the specific postures that constitute the guard.
    For example, for the crazy monkey defense, you alternately slide your hands up to the top of your head, with each forearm shielding a side of your face. You also slip side to side as you do this. The goal is to catch punches on the forearms.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast