Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked into that before, it looks pretty stupid. I dunno if they have a defense for a guy running in and just tripping you =P

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 7:45pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks really stupid:
    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...173521&q=keysi

Foot stomping and elbow strikes, oh my god its the next revolution in fighting, no-one ever thought that hiting someone with an elbow was a way to hurt them
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good BJJ/Judo guy would **** you up doing stupid **** like that to him.

Charge and swing......Looks like 3rd grade bullies....

Maybe it looks better full contact.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i do not know if this deserves a serious critique or not but:
    1- If someone has their hands touching their head, ima kick them in the rib, if they bend over to blick it, ima kneee them in the face.
    2-From the videos...it just looks stupid. It looks like they are constantly obstructing their own view. How can you fight if you can't see? Don't they remember karate kid III. "If your opponent cannot see, they cannot fight"....jeez. Even the evil sensei knows that.

The only time I have ever seen an instructor tell someone to have their fists touch their head was if the person had a really hard time remembering to keep their hands up...but this lasted only a week or two. And, elbows were supposed to be in tight, not out taking a spin.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Ugh. I'd rather watch Batman Begins again.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo Karate Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Ever see a hammerfist block a kick?

Want to?

http://www.keysikfm.com/en/videoshop.php
    Correct me if im wrong (as i may well be) but is it not a strike to the lower shin/ankle area rather than a block. It seems more likely to be a strike in my opinion as this would cause pain/disscomfort to the attacker whereass a black would hurt the defender more. What do you think??

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyork
    Correct me if im wrong (as i may well be) but is it not a strike to the lower shin/ankle area rather than a block. It seems more likely to be a strike in my opinion as this would cause pain/disscomfort to the attacker whereass a black would hurt the defender more. What do you think??
    Uh Oh, Thread Necro....get ready for some.

Well, I have a little experience in kickboxing so I will give you my opinion on your question based on what I've done in it sparring, and my experience with grappling.

1) Trying to hit someone leg while they are kicking you full force is bad. Expect broken bones. That's why you usually block or deflect. I'm sure the more experience strikers can add more detail to this.

2) Blocking. I'd rather block (or check for the Muay Thai in us all), or deflect a kick then try to puch the guy in the leg. See # 1 as to why. Another thing, leg strength over arm/hand strength anyday.

If you don't believe me on this. Find some Muay Thai friends and have them perform thai kicks on you while you try to attack their shin/ankle. Me personally, I would not want to punch/elbow someone's shin in that manner.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Uh Oh, Thread Necro....get ready for some.

Well, I have a little experience in kickboxing so I will give you my opinion on your question based on what I've done in it sparring, and my experience with grappling.

1) Trying to hit someone leg while they are kicking you full force is bad. Expect broken bones. That's why you usually block or deflect. I'm sure the more experience strikers can add more detail to this.

2) Blocking. I'd rather block (or check for the Muay Thai in us all), or deflect a kick then try to puch the guy in the leg. See # 1 as to why. Another thing, leg strength over arm/hand strength anyday.

If you don't believe me on this. Find some Muay Thai friends and have them perform thai kicks on you while you try to attack their shin/ankle. Me personally, I would not want to punch/elbow someone's shin in that manner.
    ye fair points.

and whats a thread necro?

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:06pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is old now, but here is my $0.02...

Andy Norman is soemone I met a few years ago and was actually a pretty nice guy - and quite capable of holding his own. I first met him at a Marc McFann seminar (which is who Andy was under at the time).

A few months later I went to another of Andy's seminars with Justo Dieguz (sp?) - the founder of Keysi's. He was againa really nice guy and actually a very proficient grappler.

After I left the area (Hull), over the next few years Keysi's took off big time. Articles, press releases, batman...the works.

I have never trained much in the formal system, but what I did train in was very similar to JKD - unsurprising considering Andy and Justo's background. However.....

The hype machine behind Keysi's goes far beyond what it actually delivers. The advocates are almost rabid in their love for the art and they have these bizzarre concepts (as already posted) that for some reason they seem to just think are a combat panacea. This whiffs a bit of snake oil to me.

Like I said, Andy is a decent enough guy and Justo is good. I can only judge off what I experienced about 9 years ago - i suspect it has changed a bit since then, possibly not for the better.

Bet hey, if it is good enough for Batman.......

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    This is old now, but here is my $0.02...

Andy Norman is soemone I met a few years ago and was actually a pretty nice guy - and quite capable of holding his own. I first met him at a Marc McFann seminar (which is who Andy was under at the time).

A few months later I went to another of Andy's seminars with Justo Dieguz (sp?) - the founder of Keysi's. He was againa really nice guy and actually a very proficient grappler.

After I left the area (Hull), over the next few years Keysi's took off big time. Articles, press releases, batman...the works.

I have never trained much in the formal system, but what I did train in was very similar to JKD - unsurprising considering Andy and Justo's background. However.....

The hype machine behind Keysi's goes far beyond what it actually delivers. The advocates are almost rabid in their love for the art and they have these bizzarre concepts (as already posted) that for some reason they seem to just think are a combat panacea. This whiffs a bit of snake oil to me.

Like I said, Andy is a decent enough guy and Justo is good. I can only judge off what I experienced about 9 years ago - i suspect it has changed a bit since then, possibly not for the better.

Bet hey, if it is good enough for Batman.......
    From what i have seen and read about keysi (having never studied it) it seems to be like a lot of ther self defence or self protection arts, it has some good points and some bad points. I think its a shame so many people forget to look at whats good in something at times. Im not saying Keysi is perfect, in my eyes no art is perfect, thats why we shou ALL cross train.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast