Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    OK...where's the Bullshido here?

They teach Kyokushin, which is the least BS form of karate out there.

The program is NON-PROFIT. That pretty much negates any McDojoism.
    The organization is non-profit...not the guy running it. They have to work five hours a day, supposedly this goes to pay for their training. Nothing in life is free so what is the Owner getting out of it? Most hospitals are NON-PROFIT....they still make a killing, look at the CEO, you think he works for free?
    I dont know how many people are in the program at any given time. Lets say there is 10. Thats 50 hrs a day. 250 hrs a week at lets say $8 an hr. Thats roughly $2000 a week. May be tax free dont know. The website says that if you dont work your 5 hrs a day one day then you have to make it up. They are saying that you MUST work 20 hrs a week, even if you miss training to do it. It says it clearly on the website.
    How many people are accepted after they send in $20 Money orders and how many rejected? If 10 people a week send money in that can add up, especially if they dont run but a few guys at a time. They are there for three years, the dorm can only hold so many.
    I am not sure if this is a cult or scam, or what...thats why I posted it.
    If it sound to good to be true then it probably is.If someone has done it and sayst that it is great then hey Im all for it.
    Still, read the ENTIRE site, and it sounds fishy.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te(V)plar
    Isnt it illegal to send currency in the mail?
    You are sending a money order

This BEGINS the application procees, NO guarantee of acceptance, or refund if you dont get accepted.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximus
    This place comes up every now and then on this forum. From what I have heard they just train really hard there. I'll go by there this week and write a review. I'll see how they train in the regular dojo and see how the deshi's match up.

oh and search function n00b
    First of all Asshat, it didnt come up on the search function. If you have seen it come up before then why bother posting?
    The dojo is not the same as the program, it says that very clearly on the site. It states that NO inquiries about the program will be discussed or applications accepted by coming to the Dojo.

So thanks for trolling, and go **** yourself NOOB.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    From the BKH website

Now, this would be too much for me, but I wouldn't consider this cultish by any means. As far as I know, this kind of thing is no different than any other live-in martial arts program (as in, their whole life is about training).

(A thourough read reveals that they have playstations, though, so it's not exactly devoid of creature comforts)
    You really have to read the whole site, there are parts that sound kind of fishy. What do I know though.

Oh, and no **** he told you to stop in racquetball court, that hurts me watching it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:32pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was definitely a thread on this a while ago. I remember someone saying they knew or read about someone who went there and they made you work constantly and barely fed you. Maybe he was just a ***** though.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said it was a McDojo, or a Cult. I asked if anyone knew anything about it.
    1. Do you get your $20 bucks back if not accepted?
    2. Does the money they earn from mandantory work days pay entirely for training or is the owner getting most of it?
    3. How well are they taken care of?
    4. How good is the training?

It sounds great on the surface, but I was really looking for someone who either had been there and trained, or knew someone (personally) who had done it.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    You are sending a money order

This BEGINS the application procees, NO guarantee of acceptance, or refund if you dont get accepted.
    Harvard doesn't give you **** back if you don't measure up to their applications process.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got an idea. Why don't you e-mail them and ask.

So be clear and concise in your questions

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 5:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    I never said it was a McDojo, or a Cult. I asked if anyone knew anything about it.
    1. Do you get your $20 bucks back if not accepted?
    2. Does the money they earn from mandantory work days pay entirely for training or is the owner getting most of it?
    3. How well are they taken care of?
    4. How good is the training?

It sounds great on the surface, but I was really looking for someone who either had been there and trained, or knew someone (personally) who had done it.
    Your thread title questions whether or not they are Bullshido, yet there's no evidence that they are involved in any manner of BS.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually know a bit about Budo Karate House as since I was planning on moving to Raleigh I was looking into Nathan Ligo and his dojo. There's only been about 6-7 people to try out the program and there's only one person currently in it right now. He trains hard and often, and has gone to Japan for a Kyokushin tournament as a green belt already. Some of the earlier students also competed in toughman and kickboxing matches as well as Kyokushin tournaments.

What he's doing is basically the uchi-deshi approach. Mas Oyama started having students come live with him for three years. During that time, they would train almost daily, do some odd jobs around the place, teach beginner classes, and similar things. The ultimate goal is to make someone a Kyokushin Karate instructor once they finish the uchi-deshi program.

This is basically what he's trying to do. I think the longest guy to last so far was almost a year. Nobody has graduated through it yet to my knowledge.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast