Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 2:29pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    And ankles, too :( Honestly, I find it a lot easier to be thrown/fall on my back that on my sides. I can't breakfall properly for **** if I'm falling on my left side.
    jamming fingers during grip fight was pretty freaking painfull...i def. don't miss that.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, sounds like either you are too slow with your entry or your kuzushi isn't strong enough.
    I was weened on single legs and jumping to guard sweeps so i'm used to takedowns and sweeps that kindof contain their own offbalancing within the motion of the attack. So doing these "driver" reaps feel more natural because the offbalancing is accomplished with the underhook, bumping with the shoulder, and raising his hooked leg with my own. I'll be honest, i'm terrible at the psychological game of trickery.

My other problem has usually been that the hunched over posture used in BJJ takes away a lot of sweeps that would normally work on someone standing higher.

Another discovery: Armdragging with a captured arm makes both osoto and hip throws so much less risky.
    For instance, you are armdragging and their upper body pulls back, this is a perfect time for osoto. They drive into you, you keep the arm in place, but do something like a drop ippon seoi. Their arm is across your back, so they have no base, and the risk of your back being taken is much reduced.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hedge, my advice for sweeps is get used to attacking both legs with both right and left sweeps until you feel their upper body start to move a little (sometimes people will move their feet but they keep their torso locked in a single position, you have to wait until you can feel them "get light" in the shoulders).

When you feel them move around a little, pull the lapel you have a grip on to the outside at an approximate 90 degree angle to and sweep the same side ankle on the back quarter. While you do the sweep, you want to feel as though you are driving your chest toward them (this will add power to the sweep). As the person loses balance, snap your hand toward the ground to add power the the throw and prevent the person from catching themselves.

I hope my rambling helps. My e-grapple is still weak.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 11:34am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    My other problem has usually been that the hunched over posture used in BJJ takes away a lot of sweeps that would normally work on someone standing higher.
    There are other throws you can do when hunched over posture (like wrestler low hunch you mean right?). Sweeps are hard to pull against opponents in that stance.

I can think of two throws you can probably attempt.
    sumi gaeshi
    tomoe nage
    tawara gaeshi

edit: oh i forget to mention. you always have option of flowing techniques together too. for example, opponent is hunched over so grab his gi and tug him down hard or if no-gi. snap his head down or push his head down (like in wrestling). Kuzushi~

When opponent pushes up or try to regain balance by going up. rush forward and go for ouchi gake or gari. if that fails, while still pushing forward. switch to kouchi gake or gari. if that doesn't work go for single leg or double leg takedown (morote gari or wrestling style) whatever works.

Sorry for rambling. i had too much sugar today.
    Last edited by babo78; 9/26/2006 11:53am at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hedge,

Let me chime in a moment - hopefully with stuff not already covered - because I can't be fucked to read all that crap.

I have long legs too. 32in inseam. Not incredibly long but longer than most in my weight. I also prefer the trips for my throws. Specifically Tsurikomi, Kosoto, etc.

I have trouble going for reaps because I am tall as well. I feel like I get bent over backwards too easily. Everyone here is yelling KUZUSHI KUZUSHI! Like STFU already. We got it. When you are sparring or competing it aint always that easy or your opponent counters. Or you are just too fucking tired to get them off balance, but you realize they are probably too tired to defend so you just go for it.

Here is what I do for reaps:

I prefer O Uchi more than O Soto. My long legs allow me to get in deeper than most people think I can. And it works extremely well with Kosoto.

When I do use O Soto I do not use the traditional 'straight backwards' style. It is a more modern attack at the angle. Almost going sideways. On top of that it almost looks like Ashi Guruma in that I sometimes I cannot make body-to-body contact sometimes.

For illustrative purposes here is Ashi Guruma. Please realize I am not talking about using Ashi Guruma! I am talking about using O Soto in a more Ashi Guruma manner - but instead of forward you hook your ankle behind thier knee and go to the side:

Here is the kind of O Soto entry that I am talking about. Notice how he attacks to the side?

Here is an article talking about this kind of preference:
    http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/...s.php?cat=Judo

I use combinations of throws to put my opponent where I need him
    1) Tsurikomi makes my opponent step forward, tiptoeing on his front foot. I then plant my tripping foot near his and step through for the O Osoto. All his weight is there, he is off balance and it is much easier.
    2) Driving hard straight into them I alternate Kosoto with KoUchi in a traditional rally. The difference is that I will reach down and grab thier pants any opportunity I get. Then you can REALLY reap a base leg
    3) Footsweeps set up everything. Tsurikomi to Tai Otoshi. But the reaps can set up hip throws like Harai. If you are a good footsweep guy you should really look at the 'big' throws like Harai and Uchi Mata to follow up with

BTW I am sure that a lot of people probably have trouble with this style of Judo. I don't care. You have to use modified Judo in BJJ and sub wrestling to be effective. There is a reason that using a bent over defensive stance in Judo gets you penalized - because it is effective in thwarting many Judo attacks - and so you need your modified techniques to be effective. It's real easy to talk about Kuzushi. It is much harder to actually get it done against a guy who is more concerned about pulling guard and NOT being thrown than opening his defenses up enough to get a throw of his own.
    Last edited by Yrkoon9; 9/26/2006 12:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 5:09am

Style: WC,JJ,Kenju,C.BoxN,ElboNe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    No. Lets say I step past to take one leg. He moves it. I'll then switch directions and attack the other. I don't know judo terminology, so i cant really name the tech I mean. You kinda attack with the bottom of your foot, kicking out the other leg.
    Basic possible translation(s):

1)If Osoto gari misses(raised leg), try for Ouchi gari(inner of opposite leg) or Kouchi gari.

2) Go for Osoto guruma, one raised leg won't stop them from going to the tatami. They just did part of the throw for you.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 9:55am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw all this technical jargon, just sweep one-legged men.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another discovery: Armdragging with a captured arm makes both osoto and hip throws so much less risky.
    For instance, you are armdragging and their upper body pulls back, this is a perfect time for osoto. They drive into you, you keep the arm in place, but do something like a drop ippon seoi. Their arm is across your back, so they have no base, and the risk of your back being taken is much reduced.
    Agreed. When I finally started hitting throws on resisting people this weekend, it was four or five of a sacrifice off an arm drag in a row.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the topic of reaping, there are two pdf documents on osoto gari and ouchi gari at judoinfo. Check the links. They are interesting reading IMO:

O-soto Gari Major Outer Reaping
    http://www.judoinfo.com/pdf/osotogari.pdf

O-uchi Gari Major Inner Reaping
    http://www.judoinfo.com/ouchi.htm
    http://www.judoinfo.com/pdf/ouchigari.pdf

Plus, if you are curious there are these two as well:

Tsurikomi Goshi - Lifting Hip Throw
    http://www.judoinfo.com/pdf/tsurikomigoshi.pdf

Morote Gari by Rhadi Ferguson
    http://www.judoinfo.com/pdf/morotegari.pdf
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More helpful stuff:

Russians

If you're fighting a stiff-armed posture, these are essential, it seems. It took me a while to get the hang of snapping with the russian, turning back to pummel, snapping the other way, etc., but once I got to where I needed to be, Tani Otoshi and Yoko Gake are not far behind, (I am usually entering yoko gake deeper so if he high steps I can dive and scissor throw the other leg).

two-on-one

Hang on to this for dear life, and as he pulls desperately away you can do this crazy jumping/floating Mifune dance to follow him.

Also it might lead to a hilarious flying reverse omoplata entry.

LOL SILAT

I'm gonna try playing an open guard game which is more centered around these things now that my wrist's not so horrible anymore.

Also, will try doing osoto as a forward diving/rolling sacrifice throw, just for laffs.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast