Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2006 11:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stupid Simple Armdrag

This is the next addition to my stupid simple sweep series.

I've decided that taking this many photos and devoting this much time to explaning the techniques earns me the right to start as many threads as I want instead of putting all of the techniques in the same one. And I just dropped $25 for more image hosting since I was over my limit with all of the other techniques I've put online this month. So everyone can just fellate me and like it.

Anyway.

Starting from knees. I have combat base, where I've got one knee up and I'm sitting on my other leg.

Jon reaches for my lapel to get the match started.

I grab his wrist with my left hand and pass it to my right.

I cross grip his sleeve with my right hand, using a pistol grip.

I kick my left leg out and step on his knee. If you saw the first stupid simple sweep, you'll know the extremely important detail on how I do this. Hint: push on the inside to the outside, then back, not straight back.

I kick out my other leg and plant it on his hip to keep him stretched out. I am also crossing his arm to the other side.

I fall back using my upper body weight to stretch and keep crossing his arm. I keep kicking out his knee and pushing on his hip, going for the sweep.

SURPRISE TWIST! He bases out and postures back to defend the sweep. This is what I said would happen when I taught the stupid simple sweep: they will often be able to defend it. So I sit back up and get ready to take advantage of this.

My right hand comes off the sleeve and grabs his triceps. My left hand is still gripping the wrist and passing it under my right arm.

I lean forward, getting shoulder to shoulder. My left hand comes off the wrist and grabs the belt.

Wanting to just finish the sweep, I fall back again with my new super deep grip on the arm and keep kicking out his knee.

I twist to come on top. Note the Halloween underwear.

Now in mount, with the arm still hugged across my body. In the super bright white of his arm, you can see I'm still grabbing his triceps.

Let's say I don't want to sweep him but take his back instead. Rewind to this point:

I've armdragged him and I've got a grip on his belt. Since I want to take his back, I've taken my right foot off his hip and put it between his legs, like I'm going to half guard.

I lift my left leg way up in the air...

...and swing it down, giving me the momentum to sit up without posting my hands on the mat or releasing my grips.

I get my chest on his back and take a harness grip, reaching under his far armpit and joining hands. I cinch my elbows to my ribs to glue me to his back. It's hard to make out in the photo, but I have also gotten to my right knee while keeping my foot in place to act as a hook.

Instead of trying to climb all the way up on his back, I fall back and use my harness grip to pull him down on to his side. You know what to do here. But I've got some extra details I picked up from Marcelo Garcia and a friend named Leo Kirby that I'm going to share anyway.

When I've got the harness grip, if I can put them on their side like this, I only need to keep one hook on the same side as my choking arm. In this case, this is his right side, my right hook and my right arm. My left foot is free to do different things. I could just put it in as a hook like normal, or I could do this:

I am stepping on his hip (to keep him turned on his right side) and I am pinching the side of my knee down on his left arm, pinning it to his ribs. I could use a one-on-one grip to pass his arm down to do this, but I just skipped ahead for this photo. This is a surprisingly strong way to trap the arm since it holds it in an awkward position.

If they do straighten their arm to escape, you can hook it with your leg, like this:

Now he's foyally rucked. You've now totally killed that arm, and if he takes out your right hook, you can still switch to the crucifix.

What makes these work so well in combination with the stupid simple sweep is that when they posture back and trying to pull their arm out, they actually give you something solid to climb in order to get on their back.

God, I'm just totally awesome.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 9/24/2006 11:20pm at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    9/24/2006 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian

Why doesn't he just sweep your leg out of the way?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2006 11:26pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because this move is much faster than it appears in photos and my foot is firmly planted on his hip.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Never saw the foot on the hip w/ knee against the elbow before. I do like the arm trap though and I work that whenever I can. Makes finishing ten times easier.

Your lucky it wasn't me in your photos though as your grappling dummy. My Grinch Stole Christmas underwear would trump your Holloween underwear. Bah!
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 1:15pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grip on my knee isn't really a big deal. You can't tell from the photos, but this move is done faster than they can do anything meaningful with their grip. I should be going to their back before they have a chance to act. I just had Jon hold my knee for the photo since it would have looked weird if he wasn't doing anything with his arm.

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 2:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Aint it more like the elbow is on his knee? That seems to be the partners standard defense, not smething aeso is intentionally doing as part of his move. Bringing the elbow there shuts off the inside for him and allows you to pass. Standard open guard defense.
    I was talking about Aeso using his left knee pinching on Jons left arm. I think your talking about the opposite arm? I would typically sink both hooks or figure four. He is advocating placing his foot on the hip with the knee pinch. That never occured to me before.

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God dammit. That looks so simple. I must try it out. One question, though. Would this (or something similar) be also workable with no-gi?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    God dammit. That looks so simple. I must try it out. One question, though. Would this (or something similar) be also workable with no-gi?
    You funny guy! :hiding:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 3:54pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grab the lat.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice pics Aeso.

I use this (to take the back) against larger but less mobile opponents. It is great and it is easy to block out the arm without getting smashed underneath a monster.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast