Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 2:56pm

Style: Hwa Rang Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow I sure opened a can of worms on my ass didn't I?? Sweet!! This is fun but **** I really don't have the time to reply to all of you. I'm never gonna convince you guys anyways.

Martial arts....

India----->China----->Korea------>Japan---->Okinawa------>Thailand etc....there's adaptation and personalization at every stop. (and some say it started in Africa actually)

Dudes just practice your **** and have fun with it....but this hating on other martial artists is BS......I should have let it go...that would have been the adult and honorable thing to do. Warriors are supposed to be gentlemen as well as fighters. This is partially my fault too but we are basically masturbating to our own egos right now.

We're fighters we like to fight, but girls argue....(oh sexist...more worms) so think what you will of us.....one thing thing I do truly believe in is this...

"There are no superior martial arts....only superior martial artists!!!"
    ----source not remembered

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well that was a backpedal if ever i saw one...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 2:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hwarang76 you speak with authority about grappling but its obvious that you don't really have your facts straight. You don't really know what you are talking about. I would recommend you spend a little time studying the history of wrestling, grappling, Judo, and BJJ. Then spend a little time reading the information on this forum and you will understand where all the critique you are receiving is coming from.

The information you are supplying in your post reminds me so much of the bullshido I was brainwashed with when I took Hapkido at the University of California Martial Arts Program in Berkeley (UCMAP). They fed me the same story about how they taught "Self Defense" and how they were a "True Combat System" about how the system taught you strikes, joint manipulation, ground fighting, etc...

I know Hapkido is not Hwarang-Do and please forgive me for assuming a few things here and there but I know enough of the culture to feel comfortable making this comparison.

Hapkido at UCMAP was at the very least 75% bullshido. The Koreans had made a big mess of Hapkido. And in an effort to make the system more complete people started to add stuff to it. Most of the stuff that was added was done by people with a background in Judo, Yudo, or JJJ who tried to integrate it into the Hapkido. The technique learned did not come from Hapkido or Hwarang-Do or Yudo or anywhere in Korea... People where basically just adding whatever they wanted to without creating a solid curriculum for the groundwork. What a mess. Eventually Yong-In created a standard curriculum and renamed the art Yongmudo...

Whatever. I admire their desire to make the art more complete but about 90% of the schools still commit the most egregious of sins: they don't train live. I remember that while I was at the UCMAP you were only allowed to spar when you got your brown belt. So there was no live training in any of the striking you did till at least two years of static LARPing. Yeah we rolled every once in a while but the instruction was confused at best. You had some guys with solid Judo or even JJJ backgrounds teaching good stuff and everyone else teaching pure crap and on top of it the amout of time reserved for live sparring on the ground was ridiculous. Maybe 30 minutes a week at best. What the heck can you learn well in that amount of time?

So the truth is that if you enter a Hapkido school you're really just tossing your chips in the air. If you're lucky (I mean really lucky) you will walk into a school where the instructor has a solid background in Judo, JJJ, or even BJJ. Yes there are Hapkido schools which also have BJJ classes taught by actual BJJ blackbelts (super rare if anyone is interested PM me and I will point you to the right schools). If you're SUPER SUPER lucky you will walk into a Hapkido school that actually has it's students spar on a day to day basis. The striking taught in Hapkido is pretty good and progressive it's just that in almost all the schools it's just not trained live enough and the good is often mixed in with alot of bad that just confuses in my opinion. The tournaments are also a joke but I'll save that scathing review for another time.

I hear the same kind of stories about the other Korean arts like Hwarang-Doa and Tae-Kyun. The story I get is that the Korean arts taught in the USA are basically a giant mess. I hear that in Korea they train harder,which I believe but won't comment on since I have no experience of it first hand. Yeah I know it's hearsay but I know the community I know the type of people who teach and are a part of it. I'm willing to bet the farm that I'm not off base here.

One thing I'll give the Koreans is that they are open minded: they don't dabble in the whole secrecy, tradition, and my art is better than yours philosophy. In general you will find that the Koren MAists tend to cross train quite a bit and are open to integrating new stuff in their own arts and fixing what doesn't work. They're just not doing a very good job of it. That is why you will find that in general serious MAs with an open mind will eventually move from the Korean Arts to other stuff.

Anyway my 2 cents...

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 3:03pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta agree with Alex on that one.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 3:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hwarang...I can't believe you actually buy into the BS. How long did they have you tied up, brainwashing you before you became a "true believer"? I trained Kuk Sool Won, which has a very similar history listed for it. I was smart enough not to buy into it. Do me a favor, have a discussion with Miguksaram and DerAuslander, our resident Korea experts. They know what they're talking about having actually studied Korean culture and history, which apparantly is a whole lot more than you've done. If you'd done ANY research outside of listening to cult leader you'd see what they're telling you is complete and utter BULLSHIT!!

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 3:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and hwarang do's grappling is just shitty BJJ and Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 4:12pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hwarang76
    Korean martial arts history (or any Korean history) is hard to sort out due to the Japanese occpupation. Much literature was destroyed, temples were burned, and their culture was almost completely oppressed.
    I call BS. Yes, some literatures were destroyed, some temples were burned, and they tried very hard to "Japanize" our culture but it didn't work and much of it did survive. This shows me you aren't much aware of Korean history in first place and it's based on assumptions. My proof is from university studies of my minors and also first hand accounts from my grandmother who lived thru the occupation period.

There are more texts our there but they are hard to translate because of the use of Chinese characters, we can get into that more if you want.
    Please site the sources. We have plenty of people who can read or even translate.

I trained in Judo for a year so I know a little about that and come on, judo again sport, limited, no joint manipulation, that's juijitsu and aikido.
    How many hours per week did you train? What rank did you achieve? Did you compete? Yes, there are joint manipulations.

Does judo have kicking??
    Yes, atemi waza. However it shouldn't be treated as substitute as training from striking MA.

As far as hapkido goes all I know is when we were in Korea the top raking HKD Grandmasters were present at a banguet and most assuridly lowered their head to Do Joo Nim, if you know Korean culture you know what that means.
    Out of respect but that doesn't answer respect for what. His old age? His skill as MA? His political power within organization? His wealth? Meeting someone new? I could be bowing my head to someone younger than I just out of respect for meeting that person first time around.

Also Do Joo Nim was given the Lion's award in Korea which signified him as the highest ranking martial artist in the country, this was awaded to him by the president and evidence of this is documented. There is an article about it in Black Belt Magazine if that's worth anything to you.
    No offense, but most of those awards are politically motivated in South Korea. It doesn't actually have any appeal to their fighting capabilities. If it did, people like Yakiyama (aka 추성훈) would be receving them.

On personal note, if you want to know how good your MA is. Look at the professionals....if it can help them win and help them make money, they will flock to it. Fighters would be training in them but simple fact is, they are not. That should say something to you.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 4:12pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    India----->China----->Korea------>Japan---->Okinawa------>Thailand etc....there's adaptation and personalization at every stop. (and some say it started in Africa actually)
    (In a Singsong voice)

WWrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,rong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong

Ok. which martial art has that lineage? Hmmm. Okinawian-Te comes from White Crane Kung Fu which is a Chinese style, no Korean nor Japanese. Explain how Korean style influenced Yagyu Shinkage Ryu of Japan?

Stop reading Korean national history, because its

(In a Singsong voice)

WWrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,rong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 4:32pm

Style: taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about Hwarang Do first hand, but one of the guys that trains with us used to train in it, and doesn't think much of it.

I have no real point.

That is all.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 4:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, pl4Zm4. The "wrong wrong" song can be sung to the Meow Mix song.

In any case, I'm sure the guy got his Korean Martial Arts history here...
    http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/...istory/map.htm

In this version, some of the 'hwarang' warriors went to Japan and passed on their deadly skills and that became jujitsu. I guess that is how THEY explain the blatant similarity between the two systems. Coincedence? Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's Disease...coincedence?!?

BTW, kuksool's forms bear a resemblance to white crane kung fu as well.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast