Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dweidman
    That sounds familiar... ;-)

hehehe... :)

-DW

I figured you would know. :)

Unfortunately, it seems to be the truth.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 8:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJK Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    Actually, you still should be able to attack. BJK isn't all defensive. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to initiate an attack. This is something that I worked on with my instructor in the past, and still try to work into my training.
    Initiating attacks was underemphasized in my dojo too. They would say, "If you can back away from the attackers, do it! Why fight if you don't have to?" So most of the training was an attacker moving in on the defender... that's why randori (free form sparring) in the BJK can suck if someone isn't designated as aggressive. And also why BJK sucks as a combat sport. It has the built in failsafe, if you're not being attacked their is no sense in fighting. Unfortunately similar to the Aikido failsafe, if he doesn't grab my gi/wrist I'm screwed.

At an amateur level it sucks because the defender seems to always have the advantage (you even see this in the UFC). The experienced striking guys will often make the attack come to him and counter with a jawbreaker.

Anyway, the problem of being passive came around and was addressed through Shinkengata a couple years ago, and it has gotten better in the BJK since (I think).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 8:49pm

Style: Bujutsu / Muay Thai / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnywhiteguy
    Initiating attacks was underemphasized in my dojo too. They would say, "If you can back away from the attackers, do it! Why fight if you don't have to?" So most of the training was an attacker moving in on the defender... that's why randori (free form sparring) in the BJK can suck if someone isn't designated as aggressive. And also why BJK sucks as a combat sport. It has the built in failsafe, if you're not being attacked their is no sense in fighting. Unfortunately similar to the Aikido failsafe, if he doesn't grab my gi/wrist I'm screwed.

At an amateur level it sucks because the defender seems to always have the advantage (you even see this in the UFC). The experienced striking guys will often make the attack come to him and counter with a jawbreaker.

Anyway, the problem of being passive came around and was addressed through Shinkengata a couple years ago, and it has gotten better in the BJK since (I think).
    I think Muqatil isn't talking about being passive when he says "defensive"...neither am I. AT my dojo we train in two different "modes" when it comes to sparring. an attack mode and a defence mode. Both are with the scope of taking down your opponent in the end. But in defence mode you work to draw your opponent into comitment, then counter... take more angles, etc... in attack mode (for me anyway) its feeling out opponents defences first, then wearing down, flanking or creating a false rythm etc...I'm probably not explaining it right...but you hopefully get the jist.

Back to Muqatil's comments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    Actually, you still should be able to attack. BJK isn't all defensive. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to initiate an attack.
    yes agreed...as mentioned above we train the same, BUT lets look at this mystery quote again...

Quote Originally Posted by mystery kung fu guy
    I have a very good friend(built like Tank Abbott) who has trained years in Bujinkan,his skill is pretty **** good and I like the way they use their body positioning in their throws and take downs,but against a 10th student grade WT guy he was frustrated over and over again trying to get into position,he could never close without taking multible blows,even when he was invited to the ground to start,the WT guy in the guard,chi sao worked very good in that situation,so hands do mean sh_t on the ground.
    My comment was based on these parts in red. I'm saying I would have thought the fight would have become awkward because if he couldn't ATTACK, he by rights should have tried to lure and draw. (Not straight defensive).

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 10:08pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in the BJK, the “offensive” stuff was only touched upon with advanced and trusted students because of the “moral issues” surrounding teaching people to attack in a “combat oriented” art.

Personally I still think most of you are out to lunch for thinking that anything the in BJK is or was ever alive, but if you are serious about integrating roles into the randori then you should look at what the better RBSD places are doing with scenario based approaches and pre-emptive striking.

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 2:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only offensive stuff I did was kapi and kopi. That and the **** I made up myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 2:43am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are you serious? Yes some people are good counter fighters, but aggression can be and often is a huge advantage in a fight. Ever heard of Wanderlei Silva? It sounds like you're not doing enough resistance training.

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 5:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Are you serious? Yes some people are good counter fighters, but aggression can be and often is a huge advantage in a fight. Ever heard of Wanderlei Silva? It sounds like you're not doing enough resistance training.
    Thomaspaine serves up a plate of t3h c0rr3ct.

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 5:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJK Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    I'm with you.. I was describing the crap of the past. Action is quicker than reaction so there is an advantage in aggression.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 4:47pm

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with you.. I was describing the crap of the past. Action is quicker than reaction so there is an advantage in aggression.
    Bleh.

Tell that to the tens of thousands of counter-strikers out there.

Agression and moving away aren't mutually exclusive.

Anyway.

-DW

PS. For those who aren't in on Mugatil and my inside joke... I recently taught a breakout session with the attack patterns specifically. ;-)