Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 4:38pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    O rly? Because I've found that elbowing both kickboxers and submission grapplers in the head works quite well.

Tell you what though, if I ever come up against someone that a good solid floating petal elbow DOESN'T work against, I think I'm going to scream like a little fairy and run like hell.

"HAR HAR! YOU JUST ELBOWED ME IN THE HEAD AND I DON'T CARE."

"AIIIEEE!!!" *run*
    It's an elbow. Regardless of the name, whether it be "Giant Twirls the Earth", or "Floating Petal".... I swear to god its the same thing. You rotate your core and your upper arm with your arm bent to generate great force from the incredible speed generated from the work applied.

And you have to actually get the elbow to connect, you know.

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 9:08pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed! One of the reasons why I took up Muay Thai was because I was always lousy at sparring, even though I got a BB in TKD. I took it up to conquer something that have always been an obstacle to me.

Now after more education and reading, I finally realised why. I always had the belief that it was because I was not talented physically and can never do it, but now realise that it could be because 98% of my training was spent punching and kicking the air, doing "patterns" and 1 and 3 step sparring, and very little time was spent sparring, or learning effective combinations. This led me to a wrong conclusion.

Just after a few MMA classes, I've felt my sparring improve tremendously. Each weak I focus on a certain aspect of my weakness, and once covered, I discovered that I was improving very fast. For me, it was pulling my punches back fast, and making sure I used my shoulder to cover my chin when I punched. This alone made it difficult for my partner to hit me, and greatly reduced the number of times I got hit.

My next thing to improve will be to try not to move my head back to dodge punches, esp. hooks, but just to use my arms to cover and then counter attack and gain forward momentum.

So practicing martial arts has led me to understand myself better, and give me the confidence that one can become good at something with a good teacher, and good, effective training.

IF I POST ONE MORE CRAPPY THREAD I WILL GET LOCKED IN TROLLSHIDO FOR A MONTH

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Deadly Flower Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    It's an elbow. Regardless of the name, whether it be "Giant Twirls the Earth", or "Floating Petal".... I swear to god its the same thing. You rotate your core and your upper arm with your arm bent to generate great force from the incredible speed generated from the work applied.

And you have to actually get the elbow to connect, you know.

O rly? Glad you sorted me out on that one! Here I was thinking that the Floating Petal technique differed markedly from the MMA or Thai Boxing elbow!

Whoah. Was I ever confused! I can extrapolate from what you've said that an uppercut, right jab, left cross, and overhand right are also in fact all the same punch.

I'm so glad there's fighting experts like you out there to set people like me straight.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who thinks the Krav Maga guy did bettter than expected?
    カンフー

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:05pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O rly? Glad you sorted me out on that one! Here I was thinking that the Floating Petal technique differed markedly from the MMA or Thai Boxing elbow!

Whoah. Was I ever confused! I can extrapolate from what you've said that an uppercut, right jab, left cross, and overhand right are also in fact all the same punch.

I'm so glad there's fighting experts like you out there to set people like me straight.
    I'm still not getting what you're trying to say. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when someone adds a the prefix of "floating petal" to an elbow, your obviously suggesting that it's a certain type of elbow. So instead of saying it's a floating petal elbow, why don't you just fucking say "overhand elbow", or "downward elbow".

Your sarcasm amuses me, it's the first time I've seen the "o rly" used in such a funny way. Were you subject to flashing images of owls when you were a child?

Tell you what though, if I ever come up against someone that a good solid floating petal elbow DOESN'T work against, I think I'm going to scream like a little fairy and run like hell.
    When you say "Floating Petal", it's not like we're fucking mindreaders. We have no idea what kind of elbow you're talking about. It could be a pansy ass slap for all we know. So next time, instead of acting like a prick whenever someone goes against your hallowed opinion, why not try to explain it instead of using up a post to retort with a sarcastic remark?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ecks fails Sarcasm 101. Film at eleven.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 4:21pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I refuse, just out of principle, to learn any move that has either 'floating' or 'petal' in the title. Unless it's "That punch that knocks somone's floating ribs into their left ventricle (sp?)".

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:12am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Yes I am, but there are situations in which MT and BJJ/MMA doesn't cover, like knife defense, multiple attackers, and I was thinking of taking up Krav to complete the education...

As i've gone on at length about before, krav's knife defenses are........less than stellar. I'l rate akido knife defenses better than what i saw in krav level one training(at least they know to rotate their torso off the line of attack)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 3:34am

Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't need krav maga for self-defense against a knife. Didn't you see the news article a while back in which a Muay Thai dude tripped over a machette wielding serial killer?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try taking up sprinting. I've found that to be an excellent defense against mutliple attackers.
    Parkour = Best form of self defense.

Kintanon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123