222269 Bullies, 3318 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 30
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Ecks is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    336

    Posted On:
    9/25/2006 4:38pm


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    O rly? Because I've found that elbowing both kickboxers and submission grapplers in the head works quite well.

    Tell you what though, if I ever come up against someone that a good solid floating petal elbow DOESN'T work against, I think I'm going to scream like a little fairy and run like hell.

    "HAR HAR! YOU JUST ELBOWED ME IN THE HEAD AND I DON'T CARE."

    "AIIIEEE!!!" *run*
    It's an elbow. Regardless of the name, whether it be "Giant Twirls the Earth", or "Floating Petal".... I swear to god its the same thing. You rotate your core and your upper arm with your arm bent to generate great force from the incredible speed generated from the work applied.

    And you have to actually get the elbow to connect, you know.
  2. PPlate is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,083

    Posted On:
    9/25/2006 9:08pm


     Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed! One of the reasons why I took up Muay Thai was because I was always lousy at sparring, even though I got a BB in TKD. I took it up to conquer something that have always been an obstacle to me.

    Now after more education and reading, I finally realised why. I always had the belief that it was because I was not talented physically and can never do it, but now realise that it could be because 98% of my training was spent punching and kicking the air, doing "patterns" and 1 and 3 step sparring, and very little time was spent sparring, or learning effective combinations. This led me to a wrong conclusion.

    Just after a few MMA classes, I've felt my sparring improve tremendously. Each weak I focus on a certain aspect of my weakness, and once covered, I discovered that I was improving very fast. For me, it was pulling my punches back fast, and making sure I used my shoulder to cover my chin when I punched. This alone made it difficult for my partner to hit me, and greatly reduced the number of times I got hit.

    My next thing to improve will be to try not to move my head back to dodge punches, esp. hooks, but just to use my arms to cover and then counter attack and gain forward momentum.

    So practicing martial arts has led me to understand myself better, and give me the confidence that one can become good at something with a good teacher, and good, effective training.
  3. SamuraiJack is offline

    IF I POST ONE MORE CRAPPY THREAD I WILL GET LOCKED IN TROLLSHIDO FOR A MONTH

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    132

    Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:02am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Deadly Flower Fist

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    It's an elbow. Regardless of the name, whether it be "Giant Twirls the Earth", or "Floating Petal".... I swear to god its the same thing. You rotate your core and your upper arm with your arm bent to generate great force from the incredible speed generated from the work applied.

    And you have to actually get the elbow to connect, you know.

    O rly? Glad you sorted me out on that one! Here I was thinking that the Floating Petal technique differed markedly from the MMA or Thai Boxing elbow!

    Whoah. Was I ever confused! I can extrapolate from what you've said that an uppercut, right jab, left cross, and overhand right are also in fact all the same punch.

    I'm so glad there's fighting experts like you out there to set people like me straight.
  4. Mr. Jones is offline
    Mr. Jones's Avatar

    resident sick ****

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309

    Posted On:
    9/26/2006 12:04am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who thinks the Krav Maga guy did bettter than expected?
    カンフー
  5. Ecks is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    336

    Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:05pm


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    O rly? Glad you sorted me out on that one! Here I was thinking that the Floating Petal technique differed markedly from the MMA or Thai Boxing elbow!

    Whoah. Was I ever confused! I can extrapolate from what you've said that an uppercut, right jab, left cross, and overhand right are also in fact all the same punch.

    I'm so glad there's fighting experts like you out there to set people like me straight.
    I'm still not getting what you're trying to say. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when someone adds a the prefix of "floating petal" to an elbow, your obviously suggesting that it's a certain type of elbow. So instead of saying it's a floating petal elbow, why don't you just fucking say "overhand elbow", or "downward elbow".

    Your sarcasm amuses me, it's the first time I've seen the "o rly" used in such a funny way. Were you subject to flashing images of owls when you were a child?

    Tell you what though, if I ever come up against someone that a good solid floating petal elbow DOESN'T work against, I think I'm going to scream like a little fairy and run like hell.
    When you say "Floating Petal", it's not like we're fucking mindreaders. We have no idea what kind of elbow you're talking about. It could be a pansy ass slap for all we know. So next time, instead of acting like a prick whenever someone goes against your hallowed opinion, why not try to explain it instead of using up a post to retort with a sarcastic remark?
  6. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    9/26/2006 2:14pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ecks fails Sarcasm 101. Film at eleven.
  7. Epicurus is offline

    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492

    Posted On:
    9/26/2006 4:21pm


     Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I refuse, just out of principle, to learn any move that has either 'floating' or 'petal' in the title. Unless it's "That punch that knocks somone's floating ribs into their left ventricle (sp?)".
  8. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 2:12am


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Yes I am, but there are situations in which MT and BJJ/MMA doesn't cover, like knife defense, multiple attackers, and I was thinking of taking up Krav to complete the education...

    As i've gone on at length about before, krav's knife defenses are........less than stellar. I'l rate akido knife defenses better than what i saw in krav level one training(at least they know to rotate their torso off the line of attack)
  9. TheOtherChris is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    87

    Posted On:
    9/27/2006 3:34am


     Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't need krav maga for self-defense against a knife. Didn't you see the news article a while back in which a Muay Thai dude tripped over a machette wielding serial killer?
  10. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    9/28/2006 1:46pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    Try taking up sprinting. I've found that to be an excellent defense against mutliple attackers.
    Parkour = Best form of self defense.

    Kintanon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.