Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    I have heard rumours that a local Will Machado BJJ purple belt was submitted by a white belt in a tournament, so was curious...thanks...
    I've been training and competing in Melbourne for over 4 years now (with Peter de Been), and I can't recall anything like this happening here or interstate, or, for that matter, anyone mentioning it. Where is this supposed to have happened?

And as far as I'm concerned, the admittedly few Will Machado guys I've rolled and competed against have been at the appropriate belt rank. I know they have formal belt tests for each rank as opposed to the informal method my instructor uses, but that's pretty much the depth of my information about their grading system.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:27pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Sheesh. Anyone can have a bad day, and anyone can get lucky. Additionally, if a schlub managed to get his/her purple, then rested on his/her laurels and got lazy, they may not have the skills anymore. That doesn't mean they are gone from the scene. And they usually get to keep the belt, though. There are also quite a few unranked people who sandbag at tournaments.

Now, I'm not excusing anyone even if this is a true story, But, at this point, all you are listening to is the smacktalk of gossip. But is it normal? No, not yet; not seemingly in BJJ. Is it acceptable? Understandable, yes. But acceptability depends on more than the rumor mill.
    Hi
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I guess anyone can have a bad day, maybe the white belt is a judo black belt, who knows. The rumour should be valid because it was discussed in a public martial arts forum in my country.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spezza,
    Thanks for sharing your experience, appreciate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rumour should be valid because it was discussed in a public martial arts forum in my country.
    Link??

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Red Elvis,
    What you say is true also, and makes sense.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NSLightsOut
    Thanks for the info on your rolling with other Machado students, I'm glad to hear that they are at the right belt levels.

My intention is only to find out if the belt ranking for the Will Machado club is equivalent with other clubs as I'm considering taking lessons from the guy, I don't want to reveal where the person is from or who he is. Hope you understand, thanks.

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I guess anyone can have a bad day, maybe the white belt is a judo black belt, who knows. The rumour should be valid because it was discussed in a public martial arts forum in my country.
    Can you pls provide a link to this discussion?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2006 2:56am

Style: Freestyle Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does Will Machado's BJJ belt rankings differ significantly from other BJJ belt rankings, in terms of grappling skill?
    I have heard rumours that a local Will Machado BJJ purple belt was submitted by a white belt in a tournament, so was curious.
    I train with a Will Machado affiliate here in Queensland, I'll try and answer your queries.

The Will Machado organisation laid the foundations for the BJJ scene here in Australia. Although it is very large, the standards are very high as far as rankings are concerned. And from what I understand the expectations to go up a belt are much higher than they were when the group started out many years ago.

To go up a belt, the organisation has your standard 4 stripes per belt before going up a level. You can achieve your next belt simply by showing up to class on a regular basis, you don't have to compete. In other words; you don't have to do anything "special" to get your next belt, except spend a LOT of time on the mat. Although if it puts your mind at ease, I've never seen anybody achieve their next belt who didn't deserve it.

As for that little "rumour", well, it COULD be true, who knows?

The first thing that came to mind was that Australia does have some freakshow grapplers (mostly MMA fighters) floating around who AREN'T originally from BJJ and make no queires about wearing a white belt. I say this because my group has a former MMA fighter drop in from time-to-time. Although he didn't start his grappling with BJJ, he is an absolute MONSTER on the mat. He submits purple belt, no question there. And the thing is; he wears a white belt. His ability is far beyond white belt mind you. And there are several guys like him out there.

So hearing a little "rumour" like this doesn't exactly worry me. The purple belts in the Will Machado organisation are just as good as purple belts from other BJJ groups, make no mistake about that.

Posted On:
    9/23/2006 3:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gravious
    Can you pls provide a link to this discussion?
    Pls see post #16, thanks

Posted On:
    9/23/2006 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keberos, thank you for your input. Sounds like a tight ship.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast