Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 4:56am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Will Machado BJJ Good?

Hi
    Does anyone train under Will Machado or their affiliates?

I have a question that I don't quite know how to put across politely...er....does Will Machado's BJJ belt rankings differ significantly from other BJJ belt rankings, in terms of grappling skill?

How are they ranked? Do they need to join competitions and be good before they get upgraded a rank?

I have heard rumours that a local Will Machado BJJ purple belt was submitted by a white belt in a tournament, so was curious...thanks...

I'm a white belt beginner myself so I don't know anything....and if this is normal or acceptable or not.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 6:46am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some white belts are not white belts. BTW: "I heard" is heresay.

I believe you are refering to John Will. Why dont you start by asking him directly? He is reported as a very relaxed and approachable guy - but since I have never met him, that is heresay as well. Direct experience is important.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Some white belts are not white belts. BTW: "I heard" is heresay.

I believe you are refering to John Will. Why dont you start by asking him directly? He is reported as a very relaxed and approachable guy - but since I have never met him, that is heresay as well. Direct experience is important.
    Hi
    Thanks for the response. You mean the purple belt? No its not John Will. I don't live in the US so you guys probably wouldn't know him, although he's a legit purple belt because his name is listed on their website.

I was thinking of taking some classes from him (the purple belt) as well because my current class schedule is a little rushed for me and his class times are more convenient.

However, I want to find out if their belt system is held to high standards and tougher to get (which I prefer) or is more relaxed (which I don't prefer).

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 11:13am

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    No its not John Will.
    Are you sure? Google tells me that there are Will/Machado schools in Aus, NZ, Singapore and maybe other places. The man that they are affiliated with is named John Will, and he seems to have been trained by the Machados. If your school isn't actually affiliated with John Will, then we have either a very bizarre coincidence, or a clumsy attempt to capitalize on name recognition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 11:17am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is all I know about John Will:

Years ago I got one of John Will's books & liked it. I also know for a long time Will was the "only game in town" when it came to BJJ in Australia.

I once asked a guy from my BJJ school (one of the senior brown Belts now) what were the "Best" & "Worst" BJJ schools he had ever been to.

I asked him because he travels all over the world for his job and often gets to train when he travels. He told me a bunch of "bests" (actually I can't remember any of them. --I know, lame--).

I then asked him the "worst" place he ever trained.

Without hesitation he told me the "worst" experience he ever had visiting a any BJJ school was when he visited John Will's school in Australia a few years ago.

He was a Purple or maybe blue belt back then. He said he called ahead and asked if he could train, was very polite (this guy is SUPER friendly). Anyway he says, everyone he trained with tried to injure him. He said he almost had his foot broken by a student. He said the entire vibe was outright "hostile". He said he had gone to rival team school in brazil and been treated MUCH better. He couldn't believe it.

His friend who he brought with him to train (a total noobie he works with) had his arm broken by one of the students . He swears that it was done "on purpose" and that Will instructed the student to do it. He couldn't say enough bad things about the place or the teacher. I was really surprised because this guy is usually not so animated in his opinions. It was almost funny.

He REALLY doesn't like the guy or his school.

FWIW, that's what he told me.
    Last edited by Spezza; 9/22/2006 11:24am at .

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 11:23am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about you ask the John Will Black Belt that posts regularly on these forums?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard rumours that a local Will Machado BJJ purple belt was submitted by a white belt in a tournament, so was curious...thanks...

Sheesh. Anyone can have a bad day, and anyone can get lucky. Additionally, if a schlub managed to get his/her purple, then rested on his/her laurels and got lazy, they may not have the skills anymore. That doesn't mean they are gone from the scene. And they usually get to keep the belt, though. There are also quite a few unranked people who sandbag at tournaments.

Now, I'm not excusing anyone even if this is a true story, But, at this point, all you are listening to is the smacktalk of gossip. But is it normal? No, not yet; not seemingly in BJJ. Is it acceptable? Understandable, yes. But acceptability depends on more than the rumor mill.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 9/22/2006 11:38am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi

I'm a white belt beginner myself so I don't know anything....and if this is normal or acceptable or not.
    In my very first tourny as a white belt in BJJ I was thrown literally head over heels and was forced to tap to a lapel choke. In judo the throw alone would have ended the match. Was I that bad? No, my opponent although a white belt in BJJ was a black belt in Judo and very accomplished in judo competition. The fact that I even lasted over 2 minutes was due to my wrestling backround which at the end of the day obviously wasn't a help in regards to gi's. Ponder that with the "I heard that" talk.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 6:23pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anecdote. A friend of mine in judo goes to his first tournament and I tag along since it's better than boredom. I met this old dude who's a white belt, can't remember his name (Ken?). Dude's shorter than me and walks like an old guy. I figure there's an old-guy group or something and he's just starting out to stay in shape or something.

He was entered in the masters division and won two of his three matches.

Turns out the guy was in the military and picked up combatives there, then moved on to judo. He hasn't ever trained in one place for long, so he's never advanced in rank. So he's a white belt.

Did I mention one of his wins was against a BJJ brown belt about 30 years his junior?

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by missile
    Are you sure? Google tells me that there are Will/Machado schools in Aus, NZ, Singapore and maybe other places. The man that they are affiliated with is named John Will, and he seems to have been trained by the Machados. If your school isn't actually affiliated with John Will, then we have either a very bizarre coincidence, or a clumsy attempt to capitalize on name recognition.
    Oh, he meant the school, sorry I thought he meant to ask if the person I meant was John Will. I was a little confused at first because I did a search and John Will is a black belt...told you I was a newbie :D

Yes I think the school is affiliated to John Will's school, they share the same logo.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast