Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 2:47pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Hi
    To cross, i have to twist my body to the left in order to hit the mitt and generate power, and perhaps it creates bad habits?

The motion is uncomfortable, and to me, unrealistic.
    WHAT THE ****? Twisting your body to generate power is damn good idea. You arm is weak. Dont arm punch people.

And yes, I intentionally took the above idea out of context. I hope...because if you are that lame you should commit seppuku. NOW.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 2:48pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, punching to the opposite side mitt encourages good hip turn on each shot. Even so, the mitts should be pretty close together.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 7:45pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Yeah, punching to the opposite side mitt encourages good hip turn on each shot. Even so, the mitts should be pretty close together.
    Agreed, but I think not to the extent where balance was compromised, and the body mechanics all screwed up, as in my case. The pad holder was holding it wrong.

Like one poster said, I think holding it shoulder-width or nearer would be correct. Wider than that would probably be training bad habits.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 7:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Agreed, but I think not to the extent where balance was compromised, and the body mechanics all screwed up, as in my case. The pad holder was holding it wrong.

Like one poster said, I think holding it shoulder-width or nearer would be correct. Wider than that would probably be training bad habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 6:54am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been trained both ways by my Boxing coaches. But one reason why you punch to the opposite mitt when you throw a cross that has not been mentioned yet is this....

When you throw a Jab, what is your opponent most likely to do?

ANSWER: slip to the outside of the punch.

When most people slip, they slip at a forwards angle, which will place their head near the elbow of your Jab. You then have to twist to hit them with the Cross. It is my understanding that is why the "Cross" got its name in the 1st place. Your punch crosses the trajetory of your Jab.

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good one! I think you're right!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To all concerned:

I believe and I will confirm tonight at the Gym. But, the reason why it is done is not for hip augmentation of the jab. The jab does not require hip augmentation. A cross or a straight would. A jab gets it's power from a falling step, lunging step or shifting one's weight forward. If, one wanted a "stiff" jab.

But, I could be wrong but I will know the correct answer tonight or this weekend.

Until later...

LG

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    To all concerned:

I believe and I will confirm tonight at the Gym. But, the reason why it is done is not for hip augmentation of the jab. The jab does not require hip augmentation. A cross or a straight would. A jab gets it's power from a falling step, lunging step or shifting one's weight forward. If, one wanted a "stiff" jab.

But, I could be wrong but I will know the correct answer tonight or this weekend.

Until later...

LG
    Yes, you come in straight with the jab and cross the jabs trajectory with the right.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 12:40pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How I hold the pads depends upon the combinations being thrown. If it's a newb and the only punches being thrown are straight punches, I only use one mitt. When they get more skilled, I throw in a second mitt and begin working my patented newb boxing drill, though it sometimes ends with a hook. The person holding the mitts calls out a number like "6" and the person throwing the punches throws six punches, the jab and the cross. If it's an odd number like "5", it's two jab-crosses, and it ends with a hook. Great conditioner and it's more fun than just jab-crossing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 1:15pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    To all concerned:

Until later...

LG
    There are LOTS of ways to throw a jab, you've only mentioned a few. Even though most coaches/trainers/fighters advocate a style of jab that uses a step to use body momentum for the jab's power, there are Jabs that use rotational force. Most people use them sparingly, however, because they are slower.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast