218358 Bullies, 6662 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Don't do that.
    but it's so entertaining when the inevitable happens!

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:56am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Rush said. I'd also say there's better ways to hit those other muscles than with a modified BP.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried the thumb parallel once, and I don't think I'll try it again... you know, you can't always count on luck.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 8:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste
    When lifting on benchpress. chest press, lat pulldown, or dumbells I am using a system like this:

3 reps, 12, 12, 12. Then when that is doable, add more weight, which usually drops me back to about 12, 7, 5, then work up to 12 12 12 again, repeat.

is 12 too many to be doing? should i be using more weight but going for fewer reps? like aim for 3 reps of 6 or something?

Any info appreciated.

Thankyou.
    12 is a rep range to use generally with the goal of hypertrophy... You need to clarify what your goals are and then more useful, individualized advice is possible.

Posted On:
    9/23/2006 2:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While the goals thingy is hip and all, I'd say it depends on the subject's experience with weights.

I mean, this being and MA forum, many people jump on the "no sarcoplasmatic (sp?) hypertrophy, please!" wagon, and tend to recommend loew reps for newbies with the weights.

I'm not sure somebody who has never touched a dumbell should do less than 8 reps, or even 12 reps to get started in this discipline. I know some people don't want to get buff (becasue they want to stick to certain weight division, or something like that), but it's not like you're gonna pack a ton of muscle in a few weeks with moderate/high reps.

I'd say multisets at 12 reps, not reaching concentric failure is a good way to start, specially if you're not proficent enough at certain lifts. After a couple of months with that scheme, you may want to swithc to another, depending on how good your form is. And have in mind that most trainers advocate at least a year of this "newbie scheme".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2006 9:10am

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a scheme similar to Joe Defranco's Westside for skinny bastards + strongman lifts, training myself and my athletes because i find it gets solid results fastest. But for my new athletes i would'nt like them to attempt such a program without supervision, ie a few unusual movements that require some coaching. Check out these T-nation articles

Program Design 101 (good read for anyone, concerning set/ rep confusion)
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=299prog2

Chad waterbury's set rep bible
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-091-training

MMA inclined folks (more adavanced protocal, when Conditioning and mobility are thrown in)
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1034530

Posted On:
    9/23/2006 5:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amakuma
    I use a scheme similar to Joe Defranco's Westside for skinny bastards + strongman lifts, training myself and my athletes because i find it gets solid results fastest. But for my new athletes i would'nt like them to attempt such a program without supervision, ie a few unusual movements that require some coaching. Check out these T-nation articles
    Aye, telling someone new to lifting to perfomr low rep high weigts lifts is kinda dangerous, you have to focus on getting proper form and accustoming your body to work with weights first. I'm a firm beleiver in progressiveness when it comes to physical activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Amakuma
    Program Design 101 (good read for anyone, concerning set/ rep confusion)
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=299prog2

Chad waterbury's set rep bible
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-091-training

MMA inclined folks (more adavanced protocal, when Conditioning and mobility are thrown in)
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1034530

All good reads, specially the "program desing 101" by Mike Robertson. Robertson has a lot of interesting articles, easily understanable by people new to training.

Here you can find a list of a whole lot of his articles on the net.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12