Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 3:49am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weights info

When lifting on benchpress. chest press, lat pulldown, or dumbells I am using a system like this:

3 reps, 12, 12, 12. Then when that is doable, add more weight, which usually drops me back to about 12, 7, 5, then work up to 12 12 12 again, repeat.

is 12 too many to be doing? should i be using more weight but going for fewer reps? like aim for 3 reps of 6 or something?

Any info appreciated.

Thankyou.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 5:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on what your aims are. If you're going for strength then yes, up the weight and drop the reps. A good general rule of thumb is to aim to do about 24 or 25 repetitions total. E.g. 6 reps x 4 sets or 5 x 5.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you explain your rationale?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, who are you asking there?
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 11:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to try to increase power without upping your weight too much go with even lower reps. Do 3 x 3 with 90% of your 1RM, then do 2x2 with 95%, then 2x2 with 97%, then 1x1 with your 1RM. Rest 3 minutes between each set. This is the kind of lifting program a lot of gymnastic programs use to help them build maximum strength without putting on as much weight.

Kintanon

Quote Originally Posted by namaste
    When lifting on benchpress. chest press, lat pulldown, or dumbells I am using a system like this:

3 reps, 12, 12, 12. Then when that is doable, add more weight, which usually drops me back to about 12, 7, 5, then work up to 12 12 12 again, repeat.

is 12 too many to be doing? should i be using more weight but going for fewer reps? like aim for 3 reps of 6 or something?

Any info appreciated.

Thankyou.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste

Any info appreciated.

Thankyou.
    Actually, I would aim to always go 12, 7, 5. If I'd notice I could do more than those, I'd immediately increase the weight. I wouldn't wait until I reached 12, 12, 12.

The reason for this is that if you can do 3 sets of 12 reps with the same weight in all 3 sets, you are not pushing enough for your muscles to adapt and grow in size and strenght. So why wait, just increase the load right there :)

Every once in a while you may want 2 set a-la "power training". That is, after a warmup, use a weight heavy enough that you can only do 3-5 reps in perfect form... preferably with a spotting partner. This helps develop not just strenght, but powah.

Other than that, play with the positions of your hands. That is, if you normally do dumbells curls with a supinated grip (knuckles facing down), try a pronated grip (knuckles facing up) or laterally like in hammer curls.

If you do bench presses with your hands separated a certain distance, try using moving your hands further away by 2 or 3 inches... or even worse, bring them closer... a lot closer. Or, instead of gripping your thumb around the bar, have it parallel with the other fingers. All those changes will force you to engage muscles at different angles (triceps, foreams, even your back.)

You may find yourself dropping the weight load pretty fast.

Other than that, that's a reasonable method to increase strenght and get some muscle size.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Or, instead of gripping your thumb around the bar, have it parallel with the other fingers.
    Don't do that.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Don't do that.
    Really?????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 9:05pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thankyou for the lenghty and helpful replies thus far. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 10:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Really?????
    The idea is that you have no opposing thumb to control the bar from rolling off.
    Kind of a "Do this at your own risk" kind of move, like not wearing a seatbelt or cornholing green monkeys from the Haitian jungles.

GTG on Machine Benches though. Also very effective on lat pulldowns, etc - isolates the lats more by taking the gripping function out of the equation which usually encouranges more bicep use.

I have noticed the no thumbs approach on benching did seem to add a few pounds, but the danger, no matter how remote, just didn't seem worth it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast