Administrator

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 1:59pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kurt Angle To Fight MMA?!

Was passed this info today... If it's old, sorry.

In a surprising move given his health issues (but perhaps not so surprising, given his past drive athletically), former WWE champion Kurt Angle is preparing and gearing up to compete in the world of Mixed Martial Arts, according to a number of sources.
    Angle, who was released by World Wrestling Entertainment, has not had any contact with the company since the week of his release, after the company released a text message noting that Angle was in a bad emotional state following the meeting that led to his release.

Angle's manager Dave Hawk has contacted a number of media outlets in recent days, touting that Angle would make his MMA debut in 2007 and was in discussions with a number of MMA groups. Angle recently conducted an interview with MMA magazine Real Fighter as well, pushing his interests in competing in MMA.
    According to one source, one likely opponent may be former WWE Tough Enough champion Daniel Puder, who has been making noises about fighting Angle in UFC next year. Whether Puder, a shrewd self-promoter, is attempting to drum up interest in himself among MMA circles or there is legitimate interest in bringing the fight to UFC remains to be seen.

Puder made a name for himself among hardcore fans during a WWE Smackdown segment where he cinched Angle in a keylock and could have easily forced a tapout (or injured Angle) before WWE officials counted Puder's shoulders down. WWE never followed up on the incident (although the Kurt Angle open challenge was originally designed as an angle to capitalize on it) and Puder was discarded months a year after winning the Million Dollar Tough Enough competition and spending time in WWE developmental territories. Puder, who's contract with the California based MMA group Strike Force, recently expired, has a 3-0 MMA record. He's currently training with the American Kickboxing Academy, and weighing in at around 235, which is a heavyweight in UFC.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:03pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is insane. On the other hand, Japanese pro-wrestlers crossed over into MMA. Why couldn't these (Note: I don't know a lot about Japanese pro-wrestling, I'm just guessing its similar to ours) wrestlers do it too. I doubt Angle would be the next Sakuraba, but he might not suck too hard.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a women's crossover event not too long ago in Japan and the pro wrestlers were basically all humiliated. One of the pro wresters said she'd never agree to fight MMA again.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:25pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock Lesnar is training with Royce, right? They test for `roids in K1, right?

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to have a very frequent poster from NM who had done grappling and MMA for quite a while and was in the military. A number of fighters from his school (Diego Sanchez and others) have gone on to success in MMA.

If I remember correctly, one of his buddies was friends with Angle and other wrestlers and when they came to town, they'd roll with his friend. Supposedly Angle, due to his wrestling skill and overall athleticism was the one dude who they felt could become a legitimate fighter if he ever chose to pursue that route.

If I get bored I'll try some thread necromancy if I can find the thread.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Angle's neck is destroyed. He's insane.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 4:39pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm scared for Angle's health. He was on roids when the WWE cut him, his neck is hurt, and he wants to fight shoot?

I don't see him living.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 7:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 years ago angle would have been great. Now hoever he needs to rest and get off all the pain killers and stuff and should stay out of MMA

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Angle in MMA would be Kerr times ten, in every sense.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 7:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    38 is a bit late to start training for MMA, no?

Angle should be ok with his freestyle wrestling background, hopefully once he gets back into practice he'll be back to his old self quickly. If he learns a few submissions, he may be dangerous on the ground.

The real question is, how long will he take to become a competent striker? Even strong grapplers like Yoshida and Royce know a couple of quality kicks.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast