Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    I do not know. Not important to me. He may, but to some, it is about the art, the exercise or the affiliation. To each, his own.

Sincerely,

LG
    You do Aikido, don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did at one point. Your point?

LG

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being fit and dedicated can apply to nearly almost any physical activity, but what matters for any combat training is the ability to use it against a resisting opponent. If he can't defend himself, or fight well, what makes his training 'martial arts' different than training gymnastics?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah,

Thanks for that insight. But, I did think I mentioned that some people do martial arts for different reasons. Fitness, association, and to preserve the art. Yours is obviously for fighting. But the strange thing...other than in tournaments. most people do not fight that often unless they are pricks and strart trouble or looks for fights, or, live in bad areas and are picked on, and in alot of those "bad areas" Gun Fu is the combat style of choice. And regardless of your BJJ, Kung Fu, or Ding Dong Do...

You may think your 10 ft. tall and bullet proof, but I would beg to differ. Even the almighty BJJ Legends have said regarding their art "One on one, that is fun, more than one...get a gun." I think it was Rorion for what that and he is worth.

I am certain there are guys in your respective arts who do not fight or compete, and just do it for the aforementioned reasons. I doubt all who are registered in your school competes.

My common sense or lack thereof tells me so.

Again, to each, his own.

Respectfully,

LG

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    Thanks for that insight. But, I did think I mentioned that some people do martial arts for different reasons. Fitness, association, and to preserve the art. Yours is obviously for fighting. But the strange thing...other than in tournaments. most people do not fight that often unless they are pricks and strart trouble or looks for fights, or, live in bad areas and are picked on, and in alot of those "bad areas" Gun Fu is the combat style of choice. And regardless of your BJJ, Kung Fu, or Ding Dong Do...

You may think your 10 ft. tall and bullet proof, but I would beg to differ. Even the almighty BJJ Legends have said regarding their art "One on one, that is fun, more than one...get a gun." I think it was Rorion for what that and he is worth.

I am certain there are guys in your respective arts who do not fight or compete, and just do it for the aforementioned reasons. I doubt all who are registered in your school competes.

My common sense or lack thereof tells me so.

Again, to each, his own.

Respectfully,

LG

The problem with your logic is that fighting is the context to define those "different reasons" you mention for a methdology to be considered a Martial Art at all.

As mentioned by PirateJon, nothing he was doing in the video could not be also done by a Gymnast. Why not suggest he is "an examplar" of that?

If you don't know if he follows a methdology to learn to fight better - at least at some level and/or in some reasonably defined context (or used to) - then it is disengenuous to also make the claim he is "an examplar of what most martial artist used to be and should be today."
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 10/02/2006 3:39pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12