Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 11:14pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pe de Pano Seminar Notes

I went to a surprise Pe de Pano seminar tonight. He was in town for just a week to support David Vieira, another Gracie Barra black belt, open a new school. The seminar was 2 hours long and cost only $30. I'll write a review of it later but for now I'm just posting my notes.

Double under pass defense - shoulder lock with leg

Pe de Pano started the seminar by saying that he used to have a lot of trouble with people doing the double under pass, and that they always used to pass to side control and he'd get really tired fighting to escape and recover guard. So this is one of the solutions he came up with.

They are starting a double under pass and are hugging under both legs. Before they can start stacking you, grab both of their sleeves and pick a side to start stepping on their hip. Scoot your hips back and arch your hips up to break their grip around your legs.

Keep ahold of their sleeves and pull them to you. Take the foot off their hip and step on their knee to scoot back and open a little more space, then insert your leg under their armpit and shove it all the way across their stomach, so your foot is hook their far side.

Release the other sleeve and reach across and grab their forearm. The hand that's still holding the sleeve lets go and grabs the forearm too.

Sit up and post on the ground with your free foot for base.

Keep pulling their hand up towards your stomach, rolling their forearm towards you.

Press your knee in towards their arm, then straighten it for the shoulder lock.

This is a very tight and harsh submission, so be careful with it. If you've never done it before, you won't believe it's really hurting them until you've felt it on yourself. The purple belt I drilled with sure didn't.

I had learned this move before, but had been taught to just hold the sleeve, which works, but gives them more slack to pull their arm out or rotate it back under your butt to escape.

Previous into helicopterish sweep

This is not the helicopter proper, which is done with your leg between theirs, as from half guard, but the idea is similar. I asked Pe de Pano if it had a name and he said no, so I warned him that he'll never sell any DVDs without giving it a good name, especially one that's named after an animal.

He said this sweep requires some flexibility in the spine, but he really likes it and thinks it's a "beautiful" sweep.

I don't think anyone will be able to understand this sweep in text. People had enough trouble after seeing it. The moral of this move was to at least remember the steps in an intellectual sense to drill later even if you can't get it right at first. Luckly, I understood it and got it right my first try, so double kudos to me.

Let's say you're going for the last move on their left arm. You're at the point where you're sitting up with their arm entangled by your leg. To avoid the submission, they drop their head down under your free leg, relieving the pressure.

Reach over their back with your right hand and grab their belt.

Roll to your right shoulder and go to your back, aiming to put your head under them, between their elbow and knee and under their belly. Your free leg is now in the air behind their butt.

Scoot under them, getting your head really deeply under them. Get your leg deeply under their stomach, so they are resting on the back of your thigh. If your head is not "inside" their turtle or if they are resting on your calf instead of your thigh, this sweep will be very weak and hard to do. Also make sure that your leg is in the middle of their torso, not towards their head or hips.

So you're now upside down with them resting on the back of your right leg. You're still holding their sleeve with your right hand, and your left hand is holding their belt.

Start swinging your free leg down, make a lot of chops in the air to rock them off balance. At the same time, pull their belt in the same direction. And thirdly, try to staighten your right leg and lift them on your thigh.

Assuming all went well, they'll flip over, riding on the back of your thigh. You'll end in a sort of backwards mount position with your legs stretched across them. Get to your right foot and step over their legs, turning towards them as you come to knee-on-belly.

I doubt that made any sense in text. And I'm fairly sure there are no photos of this online to share. Oh well.

Double under pass to armbar from the top

In this one, you're on top passing guard. You've started the double under pass, but instead of clasping your hands around their legs, just grab their belt on the sides of their hips. Pull your elbows in and close the space around your hips so they can't do the last move.

When they grab your sleeves, grab their sleeve back with your left hand.

Then drive into them a little to lift their hips and move your right hand under the middle of their butt and grab their belt.

Now in one big motion, jump to standing, lifting them by their belt and arm. They'll flip over backwards, but keep them from going all the way by holding their belt (so they're just up on their shoulders).

Pulling their arm to you, drive your right knee into their armpit. Step over their head with your left leg as you sit into the armbar and fall back.

If their arm is straight, grab the wrist with both hands and turn it to follow any hitch hiker escape attempts. If they grip their arms together to defend, keep a grip on their belt so they can't hitchhiker escape, then work to break the grip.

180 degree omoplata

I don't know what this guard is called. Some just consider it part of spider guard. Eduardo made a joke a long time ago about how he should call it "crab guard" and sell DVDs of it. Later I found people who actually called it crab guard, not aware of Eduardo's joke.

Anyway.

You are gripping both their sleeves with the claw grip. Pe de Pano said this is the only grip that really works for open guard like this.

You are stepping on their biceps with one foot and wrapping their arm with the other leg. He said to never do both feet on the biceps since it's too easy to pass. If you do lose the wrap on their arm and can't replace it, try switching to wrapping the other side.

Let's say you're stepping on their left biceps with your right foot. Your left leg goes outside their right arm, then over their forearm, then hooks behind their triceps with your foot.

Take your right foot down and put it on the other side of their body, as if you wanted them to pass. Kick your wrapping leg deeper into their armpit. Then reach through to their opposite knee with your right arm and use it to spin on your back. Spin a full 180 degrees under them, pulling their arm to you and lifting your hips so you spin on your shoulders. Pe de Pano could do this at 240 lbs. so he said everyoen else should be able to spin too.

After spinning through like this, you've got an omoplata. Finish however.

Two omoplata sweeps and one finish

Pe de Pano said he loved the omoplata but the guys at Gracie Barra Rio had gotten wise and developed a lot of escapes. One of the main ones is to start rolling forward, then jumping in the air and landing on the other side with side control. Pe de Pano said this is a huge pain in the ass and you've got to work really hard to escape then.

He came up with a recounter to this that he said he's using a lot now. Let's say you're doing an omoplata on their right arm, holding the wrist with your left hand, and you're still laying back. You know they are going to roll, so just hold your right hand straight up in the air, fully extended, waiting for it. When they jump over, catch them with the arm and pull them into your chest as you roll belly down and sweep them. Come on top, sitting on the arm, like most omoplata sweeps.

The second sweep is when they don't jump. He reaches across with his right arm and grabs the ankle, then pulls it and their leg on to his chest as he straightens both legs and rolls belly down for the sweep. This is like the normal omoplata sweep I do but the grips arm backwards (I'd usually be cross gripping the wrist and hugging the leg with the near arm).

The last bit is for when you're able to sit up and hug their back, but you expect they're still going to try to roll out or posture and force you to roll back.

Reach around their back with your left hand and untuck their gi. Pull the lapel out and hand it to your right hand. Pull your elbow down tightly, putting a lot of pressure on their back with your forearm. Now they can't roll in either direction since the pressure from the lapel and arm has them lockdown.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 9:00am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I forgot one technique.

One-step armbar from knee-on-belly

Start with side control with both arms on his near side, hugging his hips and holding the back of his collar. Reach up and grab his knee and do a pushup to raise yourself, then bring you knee into their belly.

Drive your knee into their gut with a ton of pressure to get them to try to push on your knee with their far arm. You want them to expose their far arm, and if don't make yourself heavy, they don't have to push back hard. Crush them until they push back hard enough to raise their far elbow, opening the space under their arm.

Take your grip off the knee and reach under their arm and cup their triceps. Then in one big motion, post your free hand on the mat on their far side and spin over their head. Lift their arm enough to bring your knee under and put your shin in their armpit.

You're now in position for the armbar. If their arm is straight, grab the wrist with both hands and finish it, turning their wrist towards their head to follow any hitch hiker escape. If they manage to clasp hands and defend the armbar, grab their pant leg to prevent the escape while you adjust and break their grip.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 9:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That one step oanbar from knee on belly was one of the first techniques i learned. Thanks for reminding me!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 9:17am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now for a review of the seminar.

Overall, I was very happy with it. I had seen many of the techniques before but PDP offered more insight into some details that improved my understanding of the move.

He doesn't speak much English, so he spoke in Portuguese while Eduardo translated. This worked out fine for me since I was able to pick a lot up from watching him demonstrate the move, but I imagine less experienced guys in attendance may have had trouble following along.

I don't want to call him a "bad" teacher, since I got a lot out of what he taught, but his instruction is "raw", as Eduardo called it. When showing a technique, he might forget to point out a detail, and after we drilled it a little and had trouble, he'd spot what he missed and add the point we were lacking. So you got it all in the end, but the presentation didn't have the polish that an experienced teacher has. I noticed the same thing with Marcelo Garcia, so I think it may just be what happens when a good competitor is used to doing his moves and has much of it "on automatic" but hasn't had to verbalize or demonstrate it much before.

When Eduardo, David Vieira (another Gracie Barra black belt) and Pe de Pano were talking, PDP said something I found very interesting and made me even happier to be training where I am. PDP told David, who just opened his own school, that he needs to do Eduardo's classes to keep learning BJJ and how to teach it. Imagine how tremendous of a compliment it is to have a Mundials and ADCC champion and UFC fighter tell another Mundials champion that he needs to keep training under you. I found that pretty awesome.