Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 12:52pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    Oh I read the thread. I still don't believe you. You describe a sambo/judo/jujutsu class then go its systema.

Well I was grappling in a class and it turns out in was Wing Chun! Believe me cause that what I was told. Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    So anyways, I got home and looked up systema on wikipedia. It turns out like kung fu it's an umbrella term, only it's an umbrella term for russian martial arts. I then found out that sambo is a russian martial art classified under the systema name. Was this sambo I learned? I'll have to ask him next week.
    Oh, and: http://secure.hop.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shovel
    Hey,

I went to u of t and I think i know the teacher you are talking about he was a door man for years. His background is in combat sub/sambo as well as traing with Vlad (systema). From what I heard from people he has trained with his grappling is good.

You should come to the Toronto Throwdown on the 1st?? You should get lots of info on schools etc....

Mike
    Yes, as of now my schedule is free to go. I don't think I'm going to participate since I just started training again after a year of being lazy but you never know... I might change my mind.

I just have to find out how to get to the throwdown via the bus system...

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    You heard him wrong. He is in fact teaching System A. It is a subtle and yet devastating art. Don't take it lightly or you'll get someone hurt.
    sshhhush, I thought that was a secret...:munky2:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 2:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you need directions or what not let me know...it is pretty easy from where you are ....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shovel
    If you need directions or what not let me know...it is pretty easy from where you are ....
    Oh well thanks, do tell! I can only take the subway system though.

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 9:59pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stolen from http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44798

Between Dufferin and Bathurst on St. Clair Ave. W.

Time: 2:30pm sharp. Lasts usually 2-3 hours, leave whenever.

Location Description: Very spacious, clean, well lit, well aerated, good change rooms with showers. It is carpeted.

Equipment: If anyone has mats they could bring that would be really sweet. Bring your own gloves, shin guards, head gear, mouth pieces, jock straps, lube, water bottles, shorts, gis, ballerina shoes, towels, pads, focus mitts, camo paint.

Events: Kickboxing sparring, grappling sparring. Choose your dance partners, choose your contact level. Go for food afterwards if there is anything good nearby.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 10:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One reason I have always avoided systema bashing threads is that I have heard from people I respect in Toronto at least that their grappling is pretty good, and weather or not he looks like a fat guy that Vlad is one tough dude.

So Systema having good grappling is no suprise to me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is really funny when they refer to the fat guy I think that they are refering to the systema guy out of New York. I have seen him on some of the stupid vids that get posted here.

Vlad is not fat....and when he hits he is scary. There are some ridiculous things done in Systema but the guys who get it are dangerous...including Vlad

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was too busy with school work last week to go to the classes but I went tonight and we rolled for over an hour after a quick warm up.

We would roll with resistance for ten or fifteen minutes then discuss what we were doing and work on technique for five minutes or so and then do it all over again. I am very pleased with the class and I'm fucking sore right now.

There were about four people there who had experience in grappling so I also got to see some nice rolling tonight.

I asked one of the more experienced class mates with some grappling experience in another school if it was Sambo or not and he believes it is.

All in all I would recommend for anyone interested in learning how to grapple amoung a very diverse crowd to check out these classes.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234