Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:50pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wow. Just, wow. I was totally taken off guard tonight.

If anyone here remembers my last thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46061) I have been checking out the (not blatantly bullshido) martial art styles offered at York University. As stated I tried out the Muay Thai class and loved it.

Today I decided to check out the "Grappling" class. I wasn't sure what martial art it was when I arrived but I didn't want to be rude and ask questions right away. I assumed it was going to be BJJ, actually.

The room was a decent size for a class of ten to fifteen people or so and had padding about two to three inches thick covering the floors and walls. The program must have just started because there was only me, two guys who were taller and with a greater build than me and two woman. Class started with a five minute run around the room for a quick warm up, some push ups (he emphasized that we should do them slow, and we done half of them from a half way position), some odd type of squats that I don't want to be bothered explaining and some interesting ab work. He mentioned later that the work out was just an easy one because we were beginners. Fair enough, I haven't worked out in a year anyways.

He started us off with some ground techniques. I expected this because I had asked someone in the Muay Thai class who recommended the grappling class. He has told me that from what he saw they only work on the ground, and they spar often.

I have an awful memory but from what I remember he showed us a technique of transitioning the guard to the mount, the all powerful arm bar, transitioning the guard into an ankle lock, some "head cranks" (one when you have side control and two others when your back is on his chest). If you want to know the flow I done during one of the techniques listed just ask but I can't guarantee that I could relay it accurately since I've only had one class.

Now, IANAG (I am not a grappler) but I was impressed by how well these techniques worked (albeit in practice I'll give you). Every time I tapped I tapped because the submission hurt, and would have done serious damage if applied with full force. From listening to the instructor talk to one of his students the student has apparently trained with him for some time in the past. During demonstrations the student would resist his technique and the instructor would always find a way to submit him, usually with his choice of technique that the student knew of ahead of time. I found this impressive because he appeared to be lighter than even me (not that I'm light at 180 pounds for my height), and was about my height (shorter then average).

I was also impressed with his knowledge. I have slightly larger then average shoulders and he warned one of the students that my shoulders are "large" so be careful when practicing a technique with me, my rotator cuff could break with less leverage then usual (he might have said tore as opposed to break, I don't remember, truth be told I don't know what a rotator cuff is).

So anyways, class ended after an hour and fourty five minutes. He told us that next week we were going to start sparring. He also threw out the phrase "full contact" so I'm not sure if we'll be striking and grappling, or just grappling. I decided to ask him a few questions to see where his head was at. I said, "Even though I'm new and I don't know what I'm doing yet, could I spar?" He said (maybe not verbosely), "Sparring is the best way to know that something is working for you so yes." and something about it being a no ego environment, implying we don't beat the **** out of each other to look tough but only do it to learn.

OK, here's what surprised me. The whole class I couldn't stop smiling (shut up, I've waited two years to take part in a grappling class). I asked him if he trained around the area and he told me he trained in a couple of places actually. I said, "So do you train at Toronto BJJ and stuff?" and he said, "Oh, no." I couldn't believe it. How could this not be BJJ? The class had so many simular elements!

"It's systema."

Wow. For a second that triggered many painful memories of fat "chi" masters on youtube controlling completely compliant partners with one finger from ten feet away and behind a blanket. I must have heard it wrong. "What?" I said, flabbergasted. "Systema. It's a russian martial art." Wow. I heard it right. "Oh, cool," I said, not being able to think of anything else. "Could this actually be systema?" I asked myself. Anyways, I shook hands with him and that was that. My first class of systema.

So anyways, I got home and looked up systema on wikipedia. It turns out like kung fu it's an umbrella term, only it's an umbrella term for russian martial arts. I then found out that sambo is a russian martial art classified under the systema name. Was this sambo I learned? I'll have to ask him next week.

Anyways, I'll keep you all updated on the classes and especially the sparring next week.
    Last edited by HearWa; 9/19/2006 10:17pm at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo - maybe. Ask him if the art he's teaching is related to sambo and see how he compares them.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:06pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    probably sambo or maybe he managed to make systema work (oh emmh geee).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:17pm

Style: Russian boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo HearWa, what is the name of the instructor?

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:24pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't mention leg locks or throws. Sambo is famous for Judo-esque throws and leg locks. Look for those.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLuv
    Yo HearWa, what is the name of the instructor?
    That... I can't remember. He told me his name but I forgot it, I'm horrible with names. If you want to check it out just drop by the Tait Mckenzie center at York University this thursday or next tuesday. The schedule is here: http://www.recreation.yorku.ca/instr...artialarts.htm You can't beat the prices either, and I think you get full access to the gym as well!

If you can't join us I'll get the name for you next class. And we need some more people so PLEASE, join the class. :P

EDIT: I forgot to say that if you do visit and want to check out the class just tell that to the front desk and they'll let you check it out for free.
    Last edited by HearWa; 9/19/2006 10:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    You didn't mention leg locks or throws. Sambo is famous for Judo-esque throws and leg locks. Look for those.
    There was no throwing demonstrated and from what the muay thai student told me from his experience last year, all they do is ground work. Hmm... the "ankle lock" might have been a leg lock. Basically I had my legs wrapped around one of my partners legs with his toes beneath my armpit and his heel on top of the same arms fore arm. I then would grab my arm with the other to help pull on it and turn my body to put pressure on his ankle/knee.

This may not be technically correct but it's what I remember.

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 11:11pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, that's an ankle lock or crush. You either take the ankle joint too far, which is hard, or you use your forearm bone to crush his achille's tendon against his leg bone. You arch your back and neck for greater pressure than just what your arm strength can provide. There's also the heel hook from right there. Ask about it.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a friend at York. Perhaps if he has time he can check that class out for me.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You heard him wrong. He is in fact teaching System A. It is a subtle and yet devastating art. Don't take it lightly or you'll get someone hurt.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast