Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least sport and combat fighters use real techniques. What really is worthless "martial arts" is that point sparring stuff. People bouncing around, doing stuff that would get them killed in either sport or street fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 11:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't agree. Sport fighters [not thinking UFC type, but TKD, Karate type point competitions] are conditionend to hit certain targets as well as not hit others and not use certain harmful techniques, if they even learn those in the first place.
    Aggression is not the only thing that seperates sports from real fights.

As far as others toning it down, I think it could be done, but with practice. Can't just train for real and suddenly establish some rules and then fight by them.

So depending on both sets of MAists, (heck we're throwing TKD and BJJ in the same bucket with the sports definition) it would probably be hard for either of them to switch to the other side without some practice beforehand. BJJ might do better than TKD, and 'real streetfighters' might have a harder time in the ring than sport-related arts that train for real...

game dog

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Timeout! Can we agree on what we're supposed to talk about first? I guess "sport fighter" is reasonably clear, but what on earth is a "warrior", and even better, a "real warrior"? I suppose we're not talking about Maasai tribal warriors with red capes, staff and sword here.

What, then, do you mean? Someone who trains in a supposed "streetfighting" art? Someone who doesn't train but picks fight regularly? Someone who doesn't train but assaults people (rapist, mugger etc), and is assaulted often because he lives a life on the dark side?

If we're discussing someone who doesn't train - where would he get his battle honed reflexes from? You don't train your reflexes beating down some poor unsuspecting sod every Saturday night. Where does the control come from? A mugger controls the situation because he picks where and when it takes place, when his victim learns about it, and what other people or weapoms he brings. That is not the case in an agreed-on ring fight.

As for the first part of the proposition ("sport fighter" < "warrior" in "street fight"), Matt Thornton has a few words to say about that...

http://www.straightblastgym.com/page.asp?section=sport&parent=Press&sessio n=

I don't know if he's correct, but he makes good points.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is essentially correct. Tell Mike Tyson, Tank Abbott, Oleg Taktarov, Don Frye or any other sport fighter he can now gouge, bite, use weaopns, etc. and you have a very scary situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 12:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good link richie...
    there's never a clear-cut line. The SBG guys apparently keep reality within their training...

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "My point, I guess, is that the warrior should be able to deprive himself of some of his arsenal and still beat a sports fighter because of the warriors own martial skills."

This might me changing the topic, but I would rather classify it as limited and complete fighters.

By limited I mean fighters that basically only have on area of expertice, either by rule or by training. This for example would be a boxer.
    By complete, I mean a fighter that is trained in mulitple ranges and forms of combat. There are varying degrees of both.

On the surface one would strive to be a "complete" fighter. Which I believe an important and lofty goal. The problem is by trying to be good at everything you generally sacrfice being GREAT at anything. There will always be someone better than you in each given area.

Just as it is unlikely a boxer could win the UFC or Pride belt, very few top MMA fighter would last against a top ranked fighter in a boxing match. And if they could, then WHY THE HELL ARE THE FIGHTING FOR PEANUTS WHEN THEY COULD BE MAKING MILLIONS?

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boy, this is stupid (including what i wrote and will write).

if you learn by a set of rules, you are disadvantaged by a sudden change in the rules. If you study kali or escrima and are then expected to go empty handed against a BJJ guy, you will probably lose. If the same guys finds a BJJ guy on the street and the BJJ guy is empty handed the advantage shifts.

thomasaaron, why do you presuppose such a sharp distinction?

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    "you know as much about logical reasoning as a sea slug knows about weaving friendship bracelets" -thomasaaron
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12