Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 8:17pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    what brand are they? All I've seen around are 1-inchers.
    Don't know if there's a brand, it's carried by the local martial arts supply store

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 11:35am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Concerning the Swifter solution suggestion, I'd be careful using it. there's been some things in the news lately about the solution being one molecule off from anti-freeze and killing household pets. They said to keep your kids off of the floor for a few hours as well. I'll try and find the article again.

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    What kind of area are you covering? A brand spanking new 10'x10'x1.25" Dollamur wrestling mat should cost you 400 bucks or so - delivery to your door included.
    I've never seen a wrestling mat before, how thick are they and what kind of material are they made from? Can they take judo throws?

I assume delivery is to the US only and not international? Thanks, it's an option to think about, I googled it and the mats look nice.

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badsifu
    Gotta bite in here. Wrestling mats are great if you are gonna just be working falls and groundwork. They tend to sink your feet so you have more of a risk of tearing something if you are working kicks (all the pivoting on one foot etc.) As mentioned before, the puzzle mats are really pretty hard depending on who you are getting them from. I purchased mine from Zebra and ya, they were hard. As they wear in, some soften, but some stay hard. Which makes it even more dangerous if you were to be working a lot of throws. In both cases, if you were pretty good then it shouldn't matter too much. For beginners, I would worry about injury risk. The puzzle mats shouldn't cost you any more than $20 a piece (40"x40"x1" square.) If you are finding nothing cheap, you'll probably have to go get a resale license and talk to the distributor then.

If you are serious, then spend the extra cash and get something that is nice that will last not just a few years, but for a lifetime. Some Swain Tatami mats are probably not the most cost effective, but damn good product for everything from throws to standup. They are easier to clean and more hygenic than the puzzle mats. A friend of mine has those mats and oh man are they nice. Great for everything. And I feel like a Judo champion everytime I walk onto them cause it has the Swain name! ;)

Finally, if you have a little bit of patience, go around to the different dojos in your area and give them your name and #. Tell them you'd like their mats when they retool (or throw in the towel.) I have a friend that does that here in CA. Does pretty good by grabbing the mats and re-selling them after cleaning them up (believe it or not.)
    Thanks for all the great tips! Tatami mats cost $200 each where I live, so afraid I can't afford it. I didn't know wrestling mats are softer, they look hard in the pictures, since I want to practice my MMA as well, I think I'll get the jigsaw mats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as cleaning the mats. Clorox and water is what I reccomned. I think it is a 5% solution that is needed and, it will effectively sterilize it remains on for 30 secs of more.

Take care, and have fun,

LG
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123