I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training

Here's something that I found pretty interesting. I've always been a fan of intensity over longevity when it came to cardio training. It just always kind of made more sense to me, but now it's Scientifically Proven (R) (TM)!

http://www.fitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16916

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training.

HIIT is NOT interval training.

HIIT was originally developed by a Japanese scientist (Tabata) who wanted to mess around with athletes. He gave them the hardest workout they had ever had - and it was only FOUR minutes.

(Skip this quote if you aren't sciency)

"Seven students, also young and physically active, exercised five days per week using a training program similar to the Japanese speed skaters. After a 10-minute warm-up, the subjects did seven to eight sets of 20 seconds at 170% of V02max, with a 10 second rest between each bout. Pedaling speed was 90-rpm and sets were terminated when rpms dropped below 85. When subjects could complete more than 9 sets, exercise intensity was increased by 11 watts. The training protocol was altered one day per week. On that day, the students exercised for 30 minutes at 70% of V02max before doing 4 sets of 20 second intervals at 170% of V02max. This latter session was not continued to exhaustion. Again, V02max and anaerobic capacity was determined before, during and after the training.

"In some respects the results were no surprise, but in others they may be ground breaking. The moderate-intensity endurance training program [Note: Control group not doing HIIT] produced a significant increase in V02max (about 10%), but had no effect on anaerobic capacity. The high-intensity intermittent protocol improved V02max by about 14%; anaerobic capacity increased by a whopping 28%.

"Dr. Tabata and his colleagues believe this is the first study to demonstrate an increase in both aerobic and anaerobic power. What's more, in an e-mail response to Dick Winett, Dr. Tabata said, "The fact is that the rate of increase in V02max [14% for the high-intensity protocol - in only 6 weeks] is one of the highest ever reported in exercise science." (Note, the students participating in this study were members of varsity table tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer and swimming teams and already had relatively high aerobic capacities.)" (http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM)

(end of quote)

The surprising finding was that even with highly conditioned athletes who should have already been at peak condition, their VO2 max was increased. In other words, they got in much better shape much more quickly than any other method ever before.

In subsequent studies, it was found that HIIT training, when done for just 6 minutes a day, three times a week *for only two weeks* was the equivalent of doing hours of traditional aerobics per week for weeks on end in terms of increases in endurance. What that means is this: People were able to increase their ability to do aerobic exercise from 26 minutes to 51 minutes in only two weeks. That's impossible with traditional measures.

In other studies, those participants who did HIIT were able to burn actual fat (not water weight, muscle, etc) at NINE TIMES the rate of those who did traditional aerobics, even in cases where they burned less calories total, because this type of exercise if more efficient at burning fat and raises your metabolism.

HIIT also has an anabolic effect - that is, instead of catabolic, muscle breaking endurance exercise, HIIT supports muscle growth - as long as you eat enough.

Now you are wondering - I'm doing interval training, more than 4 minutes, but I haven't seen the results! Here's why: you're not doing HIIT. Sorry.

Keep this in mind - if you read the original study, the college athletes, who were already in good shape - were vomiting after 4 minutes. They mentioned that in the actual published report. They were not "going hard" for a few seconds. They were going AS HARD AS THEY COULD. (170% VO2 max!) Not pacing. Not anything.

If you can do HIIT more than three times a week (which you should not) and you are not already a conditioned athlete, you are probably not doing HIIT. It should take all the energy you have to get through a workout that only takes up to 4 minutes or so. That isn't to say that what you are doing isn't beneficial, won't work, etc. That's just to say - you're doing interval training, not HIIT, so you shouldn't misrepresent HIIT to people who are learning.

Here's the basic workout. Can be done running, biking, etc.

10 minute warmup (especially if you don't want to hurt yourself)

Then do this 7-8 times:
    20 seconds AS HARD AS YOU CAN - imagine you're running for your life.
    10 second rest

Repeat. Should only take 4 minutes when you are first starting.

Cool down - otherwise you'll just die. Stretch, or you'll feel terrible.

Keep this in mind - as it says above, once the athletes could do more than 9 sets, they made them go harder - in other words, once you can do it 9 times, you're not running/biking/whatever hard enough. You should only be able to do this a few times.

Warning: this can be dangerous in certain populations. Enjoy!
    Of course as a wise man has told me, it is best to intermix this with other training methods to produce a better fighter rather than a cardio athlete.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:59am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only 4 minutes a day? HMMMMM Sounds kinda fishy. Like the guys who used HIT, only one set in weightlifting.

Id have to see the actual report but Im about to go to sleep. Ill definitley read that in the morn though!

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to start this next week when I get some stuff settled in and I'll see how it goes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 7:10am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done that workout before. IT SUCKS! It helps if you have someone helping out that can keep you motivated and won't let you quit or slowdown. Trust me, you will want to quit or slowdown. Like you said, mix it up. I would do a nice slow run the day after just to get your legs moving and still do an LSD once a week or so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 7:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HIIT is awesome. I did it for a while and found that three workouts of it a week left me able to keep going as long as anyone else when rolling. I got better results from it than I got from running four or five times a week.

I'm trying to get back into it now to help shed some of the weight I put on while doing my dissertation.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 8:36am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got better results from it than I got from running four or five times a week.
    Maybe it had something to with running less frequently, period.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 8:49am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    Here's something that I found pretty interesting. I've always been a fan of intensity over longevity when it came to cardio training. It just always kind of made more sense to me, but now it's Scientifically Proven (R) (TM)!

http://www.fitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16916

Of course as a wise man has told me, it is best to intermix this with other training methods to produce a better fighter rather than a cardio athlete.
    Hey man, I think you earned a Throwdown fist for full contact. Was that you who sparred with Bud?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WB, Sirc.

As far as your work out goes, let me recommend you my own personal training routine.

I call it Special High Intensity Training.

AKA

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HIIT is the ****, and pple should try doing them as regularly as possible. I do balls out sprints at least 4 times a week in the morning (0.5 to 1.5 miles jogging for warm up and then 0.5 with breaks in between). I can't do more than that on the pavement due to shin splints, BUT I can do a LOT more on a treadmill with good inclination. The same can be done on a stationary bike or with a rope.

I can get A LOT more done in a shorter amount of time (aerobically and anaerobically) than with regular jogging. Also, HIIT is not only restricted to sprinting or skating. It can also be applied to regular compound exercises - one GOOD set of squats or chin ups immediately followed by clapping pushups to failure - that's one HIIT set. Bench presses followed by side-to-side or back-and-forth jumps over the bench, that's another example.

The only word of caution is that you need to listen to your body. There is such a thing as overtraining. Overtraining with HIIT is a very easy thing to do.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 4:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't heard of this before but i do do HIT(with a few of my own tweaks) which is awesome.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast