Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 6:47pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Principle, anything that turns your back to your oppenent is bad. In that, turning your unprotected back with all the kidney bits and spine to someone who wants to **** you up...is a very bad idea!

However, the result depends on the ability of the other person take advantage of it.

I hereby invoke the mighty Bas Rutten as a counter example. Bas executed a spinning back fist off a failed spinning kick, which eventually led to him winning the match.

See the below clip at about 28 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL8AzDtPlN8

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, if you throw a kick with proper hip rotation you either have the choice of spinning all the way through, or stopping midway and leaving your back exposed. Spinning all the way through is actually the much safer option. Or you could just do snappy powerless shotokan style kicks.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

software engineer

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 7:30pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone seen the movie "Shaolin vs. Lama"?

What about "Kung-fu vs. Yoga"?
    Last edited by meng_mao; 9/20/2006 7:35pm at .
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 9:53pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera26
    From all that I have read and seen, it seems to be a very serious and no-bs CMA. They strongly advocate physical fitness as an integral part of the art (as in it'llbe weeks of working out for hours before my sifu feels that I will be able to do what he wants me to correctly), they also encourage cross-training and modern fitness methods fo this. Most kicks are at or below the floating ribs and are with the shins, and the handwork is short and to the point. There is point striking, but not nerves so much as "Pheonix Eye" techniques to separate the low ribs, eye gouges, break the bones of the hand, etc. Knees, elbows, forearms, etc. all used. I've been told it's fairly similar to Hung-Gar.

For the sake of brevity he usually tells people, "It's a lot like Muay Thai". Obviously it's not the same thing, but it gets a fair bit across without him having to go in depth every time.

Honestly, even in the few sessions I have started out with, I haven't seen a ton of the art myself but;

Everything I asked about and have seen looks pretty good.

I get to work one on one with a great guy in the morning as often as we can get together (10am-7pm work hours)

He was also a amatuer boxing trainer and a fairly successful wrestler through college.

No silk shirts, only equipment I need are gloves and hand wraps for the great amount of sparring to come.

That's as much as I know so far. If nothing else, I get a personal trainer at a fraction of the cost.
    I looked at that website and came to the conclusion that the style is in no way, shape, or form similar to Muay Thai. A lot of the applications and theory don't seem realistically applicable. Hopefully your Sifu's experience as an amateur boxer/wrestler will cause him to shy away from those.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 11:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIt'll really just come down to his application. At the last gym he worked at, he was advertised to train both Boxing and "Chinese Kickboxing". I was totally sure that he was a Sanda guy, and from what bit I have seen it doesn't seem to far off. Hard to imagine a guy with that cross-training experience sticking with something useless, and so much less marketable at the same time. Maybe that site just sucks. It was the first result on Google...

Contact sparring is definitely in the schedule. I'll see pretty quick what works and what doesn't. If it's not realistic, then it'll be a decent exercise till I can do something about my schedule (hardly any free weekends or evenings, work 10-7). Maybe he's put together something really good. I sure hope so.

I won't shy away from competing or maybe visiting the local MMA club that just opened back up (but again doesn't have my required morning class hours) to pressure test it. Maybe I'll come to a throwdown to get myself manhandled 10 ways from Sunday when I feel like I have enough of a grasp on it to do it some justice. I'm not interested in wasting years doing pretty dances and then getting stomped in an actual confrontation. In any case, I'll post an update in a few months and give my thoughts on it.

Didn't mean to be such a thread-jacker... apologies.
    Last edited by Carrera26; 9/20/2006 11:57pm at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 4:07am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread jacking -- no biggie. You can just turn in your application for a new thread on CMA that works plus ensuing shitstorm right over there.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345