Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there could also be the problem of training with/for certain rules ?

It seems most kickboxing fights have rules against back striking therefore you don't train to capitalize to go for the back as he's spinning.

Just a thought, although I think it has more to do with what have been said already, not a good position to go forward as you just went back or as Whitshark said you are just waiting for that other kick or....backfist ;-)
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:55am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AH, someone beat me to it. I was thinking that PART of it is a rule structure that forbids kicks to the back or the back of the knee.

But Ash and Kat and Alex are pretty much on with it.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 2:05am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I've seen someone respond effectively, it's usually taken things right to a clinch. You have to hustle fast and far enough that it's an "in for a penny, in for a pound" kind of thing. Plus, you don't necessarily know whether the person will actually go around. I see a lot of more abbreviated round kicks in the mix. Not karate style snappy things, but more like koykushin, where the leg turns in a tighter arc.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 3:32am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in every comp ive seen if someone spins around and gets slammed in the back its their own fault.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 4:54am

Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, it's all about the rules. Without rules, and unless your technique is weak, you should be able to fataly K.O. someone the instant their back has turned. It's kind of like asking why people kick the inner side of the thigh instead of the groin when it's exposed.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 5:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shut up idiot, people who actually fight and dont play slapsies are talking here

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 5:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure I've seen matches where a fighters been KO'd going in for there opponent after they missed the spin kick because they've ended up eating a spinning back fist.

Also. the opening isn't that huge really, by the time you have registered the fcat that they missed, your usually to far away to move in and counter in the time allowed, rules have **** all to dow ith it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 5:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that too, ive seen people get clobbered with a spinning elbow/backfist/kick. although that isnt very common.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 6:17am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was training in Muay Thai we would practice a technique where you step your front foot up to the back and sort of curve your body so that the person's kick would just miss and because you're leaning forward you could come straight in and capitalise on the opening. It was taught as more of a "Do this if you get caught out and can't block in time" move but it worked for me (in sparring, not fighting) a couple of times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 6:19am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've caught a spinning back kick a couple of times in sparring.(Caught as in trapped, not ate)
    I suppose it only worked because the guy was somewhat shorter than me leaving me less of a gap to close.

TheOtherChris, Shut up. There are so many reasons why the inner thigh is a prefered target, not least of which is because most fighters have a Cup guarding the groin.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast