Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:09pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The last people you would want to stiff are cage fighters

Fight Snub
    The last people you would want to stiff are cage fighters, but it appears that’s what one promoter did
    By A.C. THOMPSON
    Article Published Sep 6, 2006

Lying on his back, Dan Marks took a bunch of crushingly hard punches to the face — wham! wham! wham! — before trying to wrap his sweaty, muscular legs around his attacker's neck in hopes of throttling the guy into submission. Yeah, it was a pretty brutal scene, but these are the sort of things one does while competing in a professional cage fight. And Marks, a mohawk-sporting 24-year-old San Franciscan, is a dedicated professional.

he dude practically lives at the gym, working out four to five hours a day, six days a week. Punching. Kicking. Weights. Running. Stretching. Dieting. Studying and practicing jiujitsu moves, including a panoply of chokes and joint-wrenching submission holds.

He failed to choke out his opponent, which would've meant an automatic victory. At the conclusion of the bout, after a total of 15 minutes of human combat, the judges scored the match in favor of his foe, a hard-ass brawler from Norman, Okla., named Matt Grice, who'd definitely put in the dominant performance. Marks left the arena disappointed and banged up, with nasty bruising around each eye.

"This is a legitimate sport," Marks says. "A lot of people see it on TV and they think it's easy to get in there and fight. It's not. These people are athletes. They're not guys at the bar."

In the days that followed, Marks got a painful look at the less-than-legitimate side of the sport: The $1,000 check he'd received for fighting bounced, and today, three months later, he still hasn't been paid.

He wasn't the only one who got stiffed by the promoter of the event — billed as the "Bay Area Brawl" and held in a near-empty Oakland Arena, a 19,200-seat venue — in fact, the whole thing has proven to be such a debacle that state officials are considering opening a criminal investigation. It wouldn't be the first time the man behind the event, a Hawaiian named Chad Tsuneyoshi, found himself in trouble with the law.

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2006-...rc=default_rss

Pretty good article. Goes over in detail some of the sport's history, what is wrong with it, and ends off in on a positive note.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:20pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking fucks ougtta be fucked in the fucking ****.

The sport does not need this.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:48am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should beat the piss outa that guy. Not paying your fighters? Id fucking kill him.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Promoters are notorious for being scumbags.

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rubber cheques? Thats a disgrace. More events like this could really hurt the sport.
    Last edited by Odacon; 9/19/2006 4:45pm at .

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why Pride coming to the US would be a good thing - they bring the big bucks with them.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:31pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Promoters are notorious for being scumbags.
    If someone would pay me to walk around behind Yrkoon in a suit and a bow-tie going, "Amen" I'd do it.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:20pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Mike Tyson have someone on his payroll at one point that did something similar? If I remember, it was like $60k a year too.

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:32pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real story is that this is a news story, and in SFGate too.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:43pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Didn't Mike Tyson have someone on his payroll at one point that did something similar? If I remember, it was like $60k a year too.

ah .. . . "Amen?"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast