Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: sparring?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We generally start people sparring about 30 minutes into class.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Month and a half at newb courses. Though it looks pretty horrible some times. More enthusiasm (sp?) than skill, and they try to muscle in instead of skill. And with almost no control, better use some extra protection. Meaning shinguards, since newbs try all kind of stupid ****, and legs collide.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MT place i went to won't even let newbs touch the pads for 2 weeks.Shadow and extra conditioning.

There's no problem sparring the first class. Just that most newbs won't gain much.

Personally I don't see much of a difference between padwork only and padwork+sparring. Considering that the padwork is of some quality.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shard
    The MT place i went to won't even let newbs touch the pads for 2 weeks.Shadow and extra conditioning.

There's no problem sparring the first class. Just that most newbs won't gain much.

Personally I don't see much of a difference between padwork only and padwork+sparring. Considering that the padwork is of some quality.
    say whaa??
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    coming from you that doesnt exactly mean a lot

Stop drinking the

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it Join us... or die
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Goju-jitsu you start sparring right off the bat. However the level of contact at first is theoretically light and then progresses and becomes harder contact.

I say theoretically because noobs with no control always hit hard and crazy relying on fear and adrenaline.

My Sensei always says he likes sparring white belts cause they're so unpredictable. However as a more senior belt you're expected to show control and not hurt them back.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol what is it with people hating on brawlers? They're the easiest fighters to beat up and shame. I love it when some haymaker crazy guy steps in, does 2 weeks of training, steps in the ring, and just starts trying to hurt our fighters. After about 2 counterpunches he starts turtling up like most n00bs do and hides in the corner as we proceed to pick apart his face. Someone should coin a phrase for those guys.

As for the topic tho, it's pretty normal not to start sparring early. It doesn't hurt to spar per se, but it also doesn't hurt not to spar either. If you start early, I see no problem with getting the technique down first and then learning how to apply it.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My class usually lets beginners spar after about a month or so, to ease them into training and to give them time to learn some technique.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ rolling doesn't count as sparring you grapplepussies.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    lol what is it with people hating on brawlers? They're the easiest fighters to beat up and shame. I love it when some haymaker crazy guy steps in, does 2 weeks of training, steps in the ring, and just starts trying to hurt our fighters. After about 2 counterpunches he starts turtling up like most n00bs do and hides in the corner as we proceed to pick apart his face. Someone should coin a phrase for those guys.
    It's because you've been power leveling. No fair.:dark1:

Try not to sound like a teenager (unless you are one, and then I hate you).

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last