Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 10:50pm

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sparring?

Sorry to ask a beginner question, but how long were you training in kickboxing or muay thai before you started sparring? In bjj I started getting my ass kicked first class, but I haven't done any sparring in the few muay thai classes I went to. Is it normal for beginners to train for a while before sparring? Thanks

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by haji
    Sorry to ask a beginner question, but how long were you training in kickboxing or muay thai before you started sparring? In bjj I started getting my ass kicked first class, but I haven't done any sparring in the few muay thai classes I went to. Is it normal for beginners to train for a while before sparring? Thanks
    some places won't let you spar for several months, my current school has people sparring on their first day. In a controlled setting with proper supervision I see no issue with beginners sparring, and I think it contributes greatly to a person's progression, even as a beginner.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lots of places will wait a couple of months. few reasons for this-

1- the amount of tough guys who come in off the street and just want to brawl. we dont want or need these people coming in.

2- newbies cant do **** anyway so whats the point? they arent going to learn anything from throwing ugly haymakers and getting smacked around.

3- its a waste of other fighters time to spar with someone who doesnt know what they are doing. if we let every nub who walked in the door spar their first week we would be inundated with nooberosity. if you make them hit pads for a month you know they are dedicated.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:06pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont really recommend sparring because you build bad habits when your technique gets sloppy. i think it's best to just do drilling so that when you actually need your techniques they're perfect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:59pm

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like some irony.
    I guess a couple of months isn't a big deal to wait before sparring, although fighting seems like to only way to learn anything you can use. I recognize two of yall from nashville, I think I rolled with one of you in a no gi class.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 12:00am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I was actually being sarcastic, though it was a more or less legitimate paraphrasing of stuff I've heard before.

I have no issues with newbies sparring really, though how much they'll get out of it is questionable.

You probably rolled with me there, as I was the only one really doing BJJ in nashville.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 12:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends on how they train i think. guys at our gym are usually competetent enough after a month or so of padwork when they get thrown into sparring. you can tell they have been training. but i was at another club when they were introducing some guys to the sparring class after a couple of months and you wouldnt think they had been doing anything at all. if your padwork consists solely of standing in front of someone throwing combos then no, it probably won't help a whole lot

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 2:38am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sooner you're hitting other people, the better.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 3:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    coming from you that doesnt exactly mean a lot

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never taken any MT class, but I've been checking around a few MT and San Shou schools... and this is what I got regarding the OP's question:

- The MT place won't let newbies spar for a couple months. It will be strictly conditioning and pad work before they let you.

- The San Shou place is similar. They'll keep students for about a month or two in their 'kickboxing' class. Then, they are allowed to participate in the San Shou program (sparring including)... I got the feeling they wanted to avoid wasting sparring/San Shou time with people that only want the exercise, or as Alex said, brawlers who just want to bang and have a big chip on their shoulders.

In both places, however, they won't hesitate moving a student up to sparring if he/she shows progress.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast