Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 10:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA in NYC

I'm thinking of doing something with boxing -- Sanda or MT perhaps.

But I also live a short bus ride from the Flushing Shaolin Temple (Shi Guolin's place), and I know they offer Sanda as well as Shaolin.

Any suggestions? Any experiences with thsi stuff?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 10:22pm

Style: San da, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to train in San Da try NY San Da Gym over on 37th St between 8th and 9th ave in Manhattan. The website is www.nysanda.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 10:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. I took a free class there and at Fit2Fight (Steve Ventura's place) too. I think Fit2Fight was personally a better fit for me.

What do you know about the Flushing place, and about good MT instruction in NYC?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 10:35pm

Style: San da, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about the Flushing place, sorry. Howcome you found Fit2Fight a better fit for you than NY San Da?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess because it seemed smaller, friendlier, a nicer, cleaner facility. The instructor was really helpful. He realized I had no experience so he worked with me personally and had one of the students instruct me on beginner stuff when the head teacher was too busy.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/18/2006 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have heard that the flushing place is more into wu shu really. they do offer a san shou class but apparantly it's a little bit of focus mitt work, they don't work with thai pads or do throw work, and they certainly don't enter people into ring fights.

if you want to do the san da route, of course check out ny sanda and fit2fight. you might want to check out my school as well http://www.yees-hungga.com we focus more on lei tai and mma for our ring fights, but have entered san shou as well.

for top notch muay thai, it's hard to be vladimir borodin, and borodin's gym. he's in coney island but he produces some of the toughest fighters in the city.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is lei tai?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lei tai is the traditional form of full contact fighting in CMA.

you fight on a platform and if you fall down or are knocked off, you lose major points (or the whole fight under some rules)

currently the rules are:

punch, kick, knee, elbow, throw and takedown (no "knee down" takedowns allowed since if you put your knee down it counts as if your opponent took you down.)

once the fight hits the ground you are stood back up (no grappling)

saftey gear = full face headgear, fingerless gloves and martial arts shoes. (no shin pads allowed)

there isn't much in the way of lei tai tournaments but there is a big one on baltimore every summer.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj