Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:14pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I prefer Judo to BJJ but I fully recongnize that BJJers have the superior ground game.

I would like to see some sort of combined ruleset come into play for Judo. I still would like the throwing aspect to be an important part of the match but I would also like to see more time given to the ground game once the throw is completed.
    Maybe something along these lines.

- Points awarded for throws only.
    - Once on the ground, someone has to catch a submission within 2 minutes to end the match or they are stood back up.
    - Total match time 8 minutes (6 minutes maybe?)
    - If neither competitor is submitted at the end of the match, winner will be determined by who has the most points.

I am not entirely clear on all Judo rules so some of this might already be in play. I think by giving points for throws only it will force Judoka to focus on throws in their training, but by allowing a fight to end by submission will also force Judoka to train submission defense and application. In this way if a Judoka is losing on points he still has a chance to win by getting the submission before time is up.

Unlike BJJ there will be no points for ground positions.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:21pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a good new ruleset would be as BJJ but awarding a win for a clear hard ippon as Mongo describes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasd
    lighten up guys, not all is lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_reeafIP0_Q
    That was awesome...

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:29pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    I think a good new ruleset would be as BJJ but awarding a win for a clear hard ippon as Mongo describes.
    I think that would be good also, but I still don't want to see points awarded for ground positions like they do in BJJ tournaments, submission or nothing once your down there.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the positioning aspect of BJJ comps. It retains BJJ's applicability to "t3h 57r337" / MMA, because superior positioning is key for striking. I'd like to see Judo incorporate this nod to striking. It's also a wonderful cure for turtling and back-giving.

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 2:52pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this on youtube or somewhere, I can't find it and it didn't show on TV here to my knowledge, bad rules and refs or no, it is the World Cup...

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's called osaekomi.
    Ideally, yes. However, the problems of turtling and back-giving, just as in wrestling, persist under osaekomi. I think replacing pins with positioning points would promote a more fluid Judo ground game and eliminate turtling/back-giving.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Both of these videos are from several years ago and do not reflect the standards that are in common practice at high level shiai.

Using a training video for guys that used to compete/teach in Kosen Judo is rediculous because there is no way that detailed ground fighting can occur in Judo shiai with the current ruleset.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So in the meantime, what's left for Judoka besides participate in BJJ tourneys? MONGO, do you see any changes in the current ruleset anytime soon (meaning within a decade)?
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 9/19/2006 10:09pm at . Reason: 'round these parts we don't use no fancy-pants quadruple punctuation
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In comps here in Japan, I have seen little involved ground work. I did pull a sweep to a sub in my last tourney but I got stopped while I was setting up a triangle and a collar choke (I almost never use osaekomi unless its in practice). I haven't seen too many refs that will allow time on the ground because many seem to be unfamiliar with the flow and what constitutes progression on the ground.

The major reason for me starting this thread was to complain/voice my opinion that Judo is becoming a start and stop sport. The rules have removed most of the flow in the sport (standing and on the ground).
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast