• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 7:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it laughable when "instructors" talk about having dozens even hundreds of streetfights. You know without being stabbed or shot or let's face it...killed.
    The videotape market has a lot of this stuff floating around. Jim West's series on streetfighting is pretty good, but he claims to have been in over "600 streetfights"....
    ...uh huh....I understand people try to hype and market their tapes but that's a BIT steep. It5's also something nice to say about urself that can't be PROVEN.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 7:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh come on! There's nothing wrong with embellishing your stats a LITTLE.

I've lived in some rough places, and I've only been in 2 fights in the past 10 years. And neither of them were, in my mind, STREETFIGHTS. More like squabbles.

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 7:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jim west? Has he done street fighting video or something (clips caught on camera etc?)

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 7:53am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, at streetfight doesn't mean you have to be shot or stabbed.Thats like saying all fights end up on the ground. Its a pretty general statment. I do agree that many instructors hype themselves up though. I myself have only had to use my skills in real situations 4 times. I don't brag about this to my students or others, but If I am asked about it from one of them I'll answer any questions they may have.

"You can't outrun death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it"

Titan

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 7:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends what they're classing as a fight, I think most of them are bending the truth a little bit. e.g. including arguements and confrontations that didn't get physical.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Now imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light, that's right, your pain, the pain itself is a white ball of healing light....... I don't think so!
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 7:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok sure being in a street fight does not mean you are going to get stabbed or shot or whatever. But if you expect me to believe that someone has been in six-fucking-hundred street fights without getting shot or stabbed, then I have to believe he is mugging girl scouts.

---------
    I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
    In short: to flame.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first jujitsu teacher was in several hundred streetfights when he was younger, but thats because he was a psycho who would go picking a fight every friday and saturday night. Do that for a few years and it quickly mounts up. He modified his ways by the time I had met him, only getting in a fight every month or two.
    Lets face it, the majority of streetfights involve a swift pummelling of one by the other before being pulled off, and very little in the way of two people duking it out for half an hour.
    Also, if you are the one picking the fights, then life also becomes a lot easier.

Just my tuppence worth.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Street Fights doesn't mean having a knife on one end and a gun on the other. It may just very well be the same old technique, punch and kick.

**** The Crap

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy who has recently started doing some teaching at my club has been a doorman for 23 years, and has been in hundreds of physical confrontations. He wears a kevlar 'second chance' vest at work now, due to the increased number of weapons being carried these days.

Anyone not working in security who has been in that number of fights has got some kind of psychological problem...

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    7/21/2003 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bear in mind that starting a scrap back in the late 70s or 80s wasn't really lethal. Now, you could get capped for looking at someone the wrong way. This is the problem with our pussified society, nobody puts the scared, wanna-be tough guys in their place early in life and they grow up trigger-happy because it's so easy to force that "respect".

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Stop! Stop Haunting me!
    It should be easy...

...easy as when you stopped wanting me." -Conjure One
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine