Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get the **** you your racist fucker
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 1:12am

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdadfva View Post
    Ouch.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 4:42am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what qualifies Ronald Duncan (A Ninja teacher) to offer courses such as "Counter Terrorism" and "Anti-kidnap" as advertised on his dojo website ?

http://wayofthewinds.com/programs2.htm

As a member of the Armed Forces, and one who has just returned from the middle east, I find it alarming to see a martial arts "Grandmaster" offering such courses in subjects which, given the threats that apparently require countering, the knowledge required to effectively offer worthwhile information needs to be tapped into military and or civil authority sources - and current ones, not based on the "I was in Law Enforcement or the Military 10-15 or 20 years ago" as the justification for running such events which I'm sure are charged at a premium $

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 4:53am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    danbo I don't think Duncan does Gojo Ryu. I am almost 100 certain of this. Duncan does traditionally cross train a lot of karate guys who come to him for weapons work.
    Let's not even consider opening the Ninja Legitimacy can of worms.

Why would Karateka - those who school in a discipline based on empty handed technique (and some basic farming impliments utilised as "weapons") go to a Ninja teacher to learn weapon skills?

Historically, the weapons used by those individuals often described as "Ninja" used primarily the same weapons carried by the bushi classes, IE Katana, Shoto, Tanto, Yari etc etc. So, I'm perplexed why Karateka want(ed) to learn such systems when they stem from entirely different spectrums of bujutsu and bear absolutely no connection to one or the other.

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 6:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, it's MMA. You just don't get cross training.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 6:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Archibeque AFS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lord Utmost probably did the same thing to him when he got home!
    "..and that's for trying to point spar a UFC fan behind the skul in a non sanctioned playground brawl!!!"

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 6:43am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Jihad View Post

Why would Karateka - those who school in a discipline based on empty handed technique (and some basic farming impliments utilised as "weapons") go to a Ninja teacher to learn weapon skills?

Historically, the weapons used by those individuals often described as "Ninja" used primarily the same weapons carried by the bushi classes, IE Katana, Shoto, Tanto, Yari etc etc. So, I'm perplexed why Karateka want(ed) to learn such systems when they stem from entirely different spectrums of bujutsu and bear absolutely no connection to one or the other.

Dave
    Heh, yes lets keep that can of worms firmly shut, even though Takamatsu admitted to making it up based on childhood games... oops, one escaped....

There are a lot of people who seem to think that all martial arts are essentially the same and becuase of that you can take any technique or idea from one, and glue it onto their system. These are the same guys waving katana around in zen kutsu dachi. And I think the plethora of 'gransmasters' that claim they have a wide range of skills and yet can't seem to do any one discipline with any real evidence of really absorbing that art. It's blatantly obvious if someone has put real time into an art, especially a koryu, simply by the way they do things, how they look, and the self proclaimed 'grandmasters' some apparently having served long periods in koryu dojo, _never_ seem to show any of those characteristics, they just do the kurroty with some judo chops, just like all the others.

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 11:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Jihad View Post

Dave
    Dave your misjudging the intention here... It would take days to discuss my feelings and relationship to Duncan... there is a lot involved. My point was simply a point of fact: Traditionally a lot of karate guys do go to Duncan for weapons work, as I did with my teacher ( a student of duncans). When I had attained the highest rank I could with my Sho Ran Ryu teacher I felt I needed weapons workand discovered this fact out. My point was not to judge the quality of that training thereof. That is a different issue entirely. Also keep in mind this is years ago about the time when the subject of the thread woud have done the same thing (we are comprable in age).

If you have any more interest pm me... I like you an certainly do not mind letting you in on some Duncanisms haha

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 11:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Heh, yes lets keep that can of worms firmly shut, even though Takamatsu admitted to making it up based on childhood games... oops, one escaped....

There are a lot of people who seem to think that all martial arts are essentially the same and becuase of that you can take any technique or idea from one, and glue it onto their system. These are the same guys waving katana around in zen kutsu dachi. And I think the plethora of 'gransmasters' that claim they have a wide range of skills and yet can't seem to do any one discipline with any real evidence of really absorbing that art. It's blatantly obvious if someone has put real time into an art, especially a koryu, simply by the way they do things, how they look, and the self proclaimed 'grandmasters' some apparently having served long periods in koryu dojo, _never_ seem to show any of those characteristics, they just do the kurroty with some judo chops, just like all the others.
    Listen buster (said tongue in cheek) like it or not Duncan is and was a large presence in the martial arts community. Many guys, including guys wha are in special operations of various sorts do CHOOSE to train with Duncan. I know this for a fact. I also know that uncan has humbled people who came in to challenge him I know this as a fact because one of my teachers became his student this way.

Before you go Ninja red on me let me also say: when I see tapes of Duncan I want to cry. I can't explain why a good majority of his students I have worked with over the years at events my teacher had were really good when I don't see it with him at all....

I don't claim that Duncan is good or bad... I don't know because I have nevr had the desire to meet the man given his charming personality. For example he kicked one of my friends out here out of his dojo during an interview because he asked about the ninjitsu... nice guy that Duncan.

My point is tha Duncan whether people like it or not has gained some legitimacy in the martial arts community and there are combat occupants who choose to study his methods, whether people like it or not.

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 11:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS

Could someone give a detail as to the significance of that video? Is that one of Lord Utmost's sons?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast