Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jump Rope -100 steps
    Burpees - 10
    Pushups - 10
    Squats - 10

10 times...

Did that yesterday morning, and it's pretty rough on you. Way worse than running 3 miles.

But, running is great for you too.

Fruit and Veggies, and kickin' that drinking will be the best thing for you.

Now, get to it.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 4:54pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. What is a Burpee?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 7:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    Jump Rope -100 steps
    Burpees - 10
    Pushups - 10
    Squats - 10

10 times...

Did that yesterday morning, and it's pretty rough on you. Way worse than running 3 miles.

But, running is great for you too.

Fruit and Veggies, and kickin' that drinking will be the best thing for you.

Now, get to it.
    WHen I first read this I thought "That's a ***** workout! that's just warming up!" then I read it more carefully and saw the 10x part. Ouch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2006 7:09am

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But to do ten burps in a row you really do need to drink that beer ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2006 8:55am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Ok. What is a Burpee?
    http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

Here you go. Have fun. :XXfart: Hated that in the army, hate it now.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2006 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ on hold

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people would put energy, protein, supplements, etc. all under nutrition, and then list exercise so the list would look like this:

1. Nutrition
    2. Exercise

That's just a little too simplified imo. And tbh, mine is simplified, too, but that's why I gave a list of priorities instead of specific advice, you're going to have to figure out what works for you, anyway. I'm hoping this might get the gears turning again and point out some recent mistakes in your routine.

I agree with all the nutritional advice that has been posted so far. For a regular person trying to get fit, starting out I think the best way to prioritize daily health is illustrated by this list:

1. Energy - Regardless whether your goal is to gain or lose weight, keeping the furnace roaring is the #1 priority. By my standards a beer a week adds variety if you're pre-retirement age. An unattended empty stomach a week does nothing but turning off your metabolism and making all the other items on the list moot.

Fat is good because many foods with fat come with protein. Carbs are good because many foods with fiber have carbs. Don't get worried so much about Fat/Carb ratio.

Worry more about the portion size & timing with your goals. Energy is taken for granted as being the top priority, some people shooting for general health by diverting their efforts counting Cals with other items down this list, but energy intake is the top priority and that never changes. Sure, It matters what you eat. BUT, that matters less than how much energy you take from your food and how often you do it based on your bodyweight and activity level. This comes before water because I choose to give it emphasis. If you don't drink water then you're either dead, or soon to be, so its kind of obvious, whereas people can live off muscle & fat stores for weeks.

2. Water - How boring, but so obviously essential to a being who at any given time will be composed primarily of water throughout his/her life.

3. Fiber - Even more boring to talk about, but again: essential. Not only does it help the digestive tract perform its job, but it also prevents your metabolism from turning off over gaps between meals.

4. Protein - Alright, now we have the oft sensationalized body building nutrient: Protein! The catch is most things with fiber that occur in nature (like fruits), also have protein. Sometimes in mass quantities like nuts.

As long as you're not entirely stupid with your top four, and have a general level of profficiency you're ready to work on actually moving.

5. Ergonomics - If you periodically sit like a dead body on the couch half of each day with the ergonomics of jello pudding, expect your lazy form to counteract the progress your exercises would be making. Learn some stretches, and sit up straight. Read some bodybuilding books and figure out how your muscles work before you waste time using your body improperly for...

6. Exercise - Yay, now we can put 1-5 to good use, finally. Hopefully, you don't overtrain like Bruce did. And if you do, hopefully you injure yourself before you injure someone else.

7. Rest - With six comes proper rest and at scale to our recovery time, but again, like water that's a little obvious because people who don't ever rest become delirious after 24-48 hours, etc.

8. Last, and certainly least: Supplements - Great, now creatine and some fish oil, not to mention some serious multi vitamins with all those heart healthy, cancer-preventing, erection inducing nutrients.

Now, when it comes to specific exercises to recommend your answer lies in your original post:

Hi, I've been training in BJJ and Hokutoryu (modern jujitsu style)/Kickboxing for the past year.
    Then, later:

Now, I am in a situation (due my own fault) where I am seriously out of shape (atleast when compared to THEN- when I trained).
    So, train like you were when you were fit.
    Last edited by grr; 9/24/2006 4:27pm at .

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running is pointless. Short bursts of a high intensity exercise will do wonders for your endurance. I'd also suggest progressive resistance versus body weight exercises. Anything else will require more specific questions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Diciplines

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for the advice, I have started training again. BJJ and KB in beginners groups, I eat better foods and have reduced my alcohol usage, not enough but hey, I'm from Finland, you get weird looks if you dont drink.

I've planned my training schedule and already seen and felt many improvements. Again, thanks for the help.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/01/2006 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found that I enjoyed rope jumping more than running. I get shin splints from it occasionally.

I tried the burpee....sheesh...i could only do 3. I guess I am weak.

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 12:27am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here's what you need to do:

start running, try a distance of 4 miles to build an aerobic base. Then try these four exercises in a circuit as many times as you can:

Burpees - 20
    V ups - 20
    Bodyweight squats - 20
    Pushups - 20

try and do that 5 times without rest and it'll be one of the best workouts you'll ever feel.
    :laughing9

serriously good luck
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12