Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 10:42am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, this thread has been brought back from the dead 3 times by posters who say Roy Hobbs is the real deal. Is this a record?

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiki_joe
    I train under Sensei Hobbs in aiki-jutsu and Shorin Ryu Karate. This man is the REAL DEAL. 'nuff said.
    Actually, no. Listen, there are serveral problems with the original post that I won't even get into, but if you feel the need to jump in to someone's defense a one line post stating that he is "the real deal" is woefully insufficient. If you could link us to his fight record, competition videos, videos or records of his students competing or even just outline your experience with him it would advance the thread. So either bring something substantial to the table or fade back into lurkdom.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 2:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where did he get his rank in Aikijujutsu?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 6:52pm

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108

Ditto.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a guess. From Roy Jerry Hobbs' site: http://www.dentokanhombu.com/history.htm:

Ryuho Okuyama passed away in 1987. Not long after Okuyama’s death, like a number of the seniors, Irie founded his own ryu/ha. He named his style of Ju-Jutsu "KoKoDo", which translates to "Imperial Light Way". This came as little surprise to most since he had been the chief instructor at the Hakko-Ryu Hombu Dojo for over twenty-five years and had developed his own unique approach to Hakko-Ryu.

From 1997 to 1999 I once again found myself living in Japan. I again studied with Yasuhiro Irie, becoming a part of his KoKoDo Ju-Jutsu. Before leaving Japan I received Menkyo Kaiden (Certificate of Total Transmission). Kaiden can also be literally translated to "All Passed". It designates that one has learned the complete syllabus of a particular ryu/ha.

With Irie’s blessing I formed Dentokan Ju-Jutsu just before leaving Japan. It traces its origin in a continuous stream from Daito-Ryu, through Hakko-Ryu and KoKoDo into its present form.
    u

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    roy jerry hobbs was awarded shihan in hakko ryu by the founder of the stile Ryuho Okuyama and awarded Menkyo Kaiden in kokodo jujutsu by Yasuhiro Irie.
    On the dentokanhombu.com web site you can find information, photos and you can contact him directly.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, crafty, thanks. 4 months after I give the exact same information(in the post above yours), you answer the same question and resurrect this thread once again.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man dont you just love it when the accused creates several accounts and posts in his own defence claiming he's innocent

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STFU noob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 1:26pm

Style: koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being in the neighborhood (he's across the River from me), I looked into training with Hobbs myself. However, not for Karate or Aikijutsu...but for Iaido. Thus, I cannot make a value judgment either way in regards to his empty-handed arts.

However, the Iaido he teaches is his own invention. To his credit, he plainly admits this. However, I find that a bit unsettling on many levels.(http://www.dentokanhombu.com/2.0/history.htm). Scroll down to the essay entitled "The Practice of Iaijutsu within the Dentokan":

"Dentokan Iaijutsu is not a classical form of Japanese martial arts. It is a modern method based upon both old and new ways of using the Japanese sword. I say old because of influences from classical Mugai-Ryu and Itto-Ryu, and modern because of the influence of the circa World War II Japanese Toyama Military Academy sword method."

That's the very first sentence. Fair enough, and my hat's off to him. He isn't trying to pull a fast one on the koryu community and represent himself falsely. Brownie points, then. However, he goes on to list the full ingredients of his home-brewed Iai: Mugai-Ryu; Kuniba-Ryu (breakaway faction of Mugai-ryu with some supposed ties to Iga Clan Ninpo/Ninjutsu); Aiki Ken (yes, Aikido sword); Toyama-Ryu Battodo; and an invented kata (named Seisui No Ken) that is an extended compilation of various Itto-Ryu kata.

That gave me pause: each of these sword styles have complex footwork that don't easily blend. Each have different methods of grasping the sword as well as drawing & resheathing it. Howe much can you retain from each & how much must you significantly modify in order to make them work together? In other words...no thanks! Can't say anything about his empty-handed stuff...but solely based upon what I read about the Iai...thanks, but no thanks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast